20TH CENTURY GHOST -- THE STORY --SPOILERS*****

Joe's first collection.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:07 pm

Dana Jean wrote:I thought this was such a romantic story. Not just between Alec and Imogene, but the romantic nostalgia for a place and simpler time; the romanticizing of those who've gone before.

Val and LK, I think Alec and Imogene stayed at the Rosebud because she always said he belonged there with her. She was excited about the movies so I can't imagine that would change. She just had someone to really share them with now. Imogene knew if the placed closed, she would lose Alec and the movies--and I think maybe she would have been trapped there, alone to stare at nothing but "a single, grotesque, used condom on the floor in the front of the stage." I think she visited all her movie friends and gave them the dream to revitalize the theater. Because, there was "no place like home" and home for her was the theater.

I also thought it was pretty cool that Shane got a nod in the story--curious why he saw her during American Graffiti. Just a random pick on Joe's part? Or, is there more significance for Shane here? I had a feeling I recognized a possible character or two from real people--not just Steven Spielberg in Steven Greenberg. But, not for me to speculate.

When Alec was young and first saw Imogene, he stole a piece of film from the manager's office--a piece showing a man and woman sharing a romantic kiss. He always wished he could be kissed like that and in the end, he was. And, it was captured on film no less.

I would like to think that maybe the piece of film Alec pockets as a kid and the film that captures Alec and Imogene kissing might be one and the same--I mean afterall, anything is possible when ghosts are involved. A piece of film found by a child that depicts him in the future. But, Alec's stolen piece of film is only 8 frames long, whereas the film shot of Alec and Imogene kissing is about a 100 frames long. So, I think that blows that theory out of the water. But still, he gets the girl.

Sweet, innocent, simple story. Wonderful.

Oh perfect, DJ!! I can't add much to what you are saying here. You really added something to the story for me, especially the part about the piece of film. I don't think that theory is "blown out of the water"...as you said, "anything is possible when ghosts are involved."
I loved this story on an entirely emotional level, which is pretty much how I relate to everything and everyone. I saw this as a true love story in all aspects and was very satisfied by how it turned out. The only thing I would say is that the first time I read it I was expecting something evil to come out of the wood work, like we'd find out that Imogene was murdered by the original manager of the theatre and did not die of natural causes. That kept me on the edge of my seat...but the second time I read it I realized the boogey man wasn't going to jump out of the closet and I relaxed and enjoyed the sweet simplicity of love.

I do have to say one more thing about 20TH CENTURY GHOSTS, the book. I have been trying to get people at work to read it, getting them to start with "Pop Art" and for the most part I have been successful, but many of them say to me "Well, I don't like ghost stories." I explain to them that, yes, some of the stories in the book are a little scary, but it really isn't entirely a ghost story book. The stories in this book are so varied and different from each other...each one a gem and I really want people to experience them. But alot of them can't see past the title. I'll keep at it, though. Joe...you really are amazing, but don't let anyone type-cast you, ok? You can write anything, in any genre and I do hope that you allow yourself the freedom to create what your heart tells you to create. As I tell my girls all the time, YOU get to decide who you are...no one else.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Oh damn Betsy, I had a whole post to you and hit the wrong friggin' button and now *POOF* gone. I hate it when that happens.

Anyway, I basically just said that you are so right about Joe's writing and stories. He can write across the spectrum of genres. So, keep championing his work. Nothing pisses me off more than when someone paints a writer's work with a broad brush stroke. Or they have preconceived ideas about what a person is all about.

There's a certain author who I've always encouraged people to read and they immediately hear his name and make the most disparaging remarks. First thing out of my mouth is, "Have you read any of his works?" The answer is always no. Always. I want to tell these people, "shut the fuck up then because you are speaking from no personal experience with his writing." I hate ignorance like this.

So, if I serve no other purpose on this board or in my kingdom, I make a great "street team" kind of gal encouraging and recommending Joe's work to a variety of people. There are those out there who wish they could sing, or dance or play an instrument--I wish I could write beautiful stories that would make people think, like Joe did with 20thCGs.

Do I have other authors that I feel this passionately about? Yes. Because I love to read (when I can find the time) and I love to challenge myself and keep my brain engaged and learning.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:32 am

From DJ...

"So, if I serve no other purpose on this board or in my kingdom, I make a great "street team" kind of gal encouraging and recommending Joe's work to a variety of people. There are those out there who wish they could sing, or dance or play an instrument--I wish I could write beautiful stories that would make people think, like Joe did with 20thCGs."

My feelings exactly, DJ!! I wish I could write, too. I've tried, but it all comes out as dreck. I do enjoy helping other writers, though. I know several people who write and I love to read their stuff and make suggestions. Wish I could find a job doing that. Can you imagine?? Reading for a living! The perfect job.

Hey!! We could all be on the "street team". Hey Shane and Joe...if there's anything we can do to help get the word out let us know!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Samoa_Girl on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm here...my car broke yesterday :evil: and my book was in there. I really enjoyed the story. Everyone has pretty much covered my thoughts. The ending gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I was glad that after all the years that Alec had been running the theater, he finally found a love besides movies.
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby jarrettbrown on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:31 pm

Did anyone ever figure out how old any of the characters are? I'm just wondering.
jarrettbrown

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 pm

Imogene is 19 when she dies. Alec is 73 on the opening page.
Dana_Jean

Postby jarrettbrown on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Dana Jean wrote:Imogene is 19 when she dies. Alec is 73 on the opening page.

Thanks Dana, I must of missed that. The only reason why I asked this is because I'm attempting to adapt the story into a screenplay, with no intention to shoot.
jarrettbrown

Postby meridith on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Did anyone notice the name of the actor's assistant is "Marsha?" Thats the name of one of Stephen King's assistants. He talked about her being organized etc. so I assume it was a reference to her : )
meridith

Postby grasking on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:06 pm

meridith wrote:Did anyone notice the name of the actor's assistant is "Marsha?" Thats the name of one of Stephen King's assistants. He talked about her being organized etc. so I assume it was a reference to her : )

I think it's a reference to Marsha Brady.
grasking

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 pm

I liked the story. It was a little predictable, but VERY well written and I'm a sap for a happy (if you can call death happy) ending. :) :) :)

I really like the way Joe depicts ghosts. I'm glad he used similar techniques in HSB, because it really creeps me out!! :twisted:

As I've said before, I'm not known to be a fan of short stories, but Joe's doing something that even his dad couldn't do. I'm hooked!!!!

8)

Onto Pop Art.

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:09 am

KingoftheHill wrote:I liked the story. It was a little predictable, but VERY well written and I'm a sap for a happy (if you can call death happy) ending. :) :) :)

I really like the way Joe depicts ghosts. I'm glad he used similar techniques in HSB, because it really creeps me out!! :twisted:

As I've said before, I'm not known to be a fan of short stories, but Joe's doing something that even his dad couldn't do. I'm hooked!!!!

8)

Onto Pop Art.

I can't wait to hear what you think of "Pop Art", King. Gosh, I love that story. And talk about being hooked, I got my other daughter started on 20thCG and she LOVES it! I just hope I get my copy back!

Betsy_Boo

Postby KingoftheHill on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:16 pm

I haven't even read all of King's collections!!! Joe's stories in this collection are a nice length, so far. Short, but long enough to learn the character(s).

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts