20TH CENTURY GHOST -- THE STORY --SPOILERS*****

Joe's first collection.

20TH CENTURY GHOST -- THE STORY --SPOILERS*****

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Again, anyone care to go first? I need to reread the story real quick here. I try to read them the day we discuss them so things will be fresh in my head. My brain is so full of holes, stuff goes in; stuff falls out.

It ain't easy being swiss cheesy.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:16 pm

This isn't one that my mind delved too deeply into.....I just enjoyed it. I loved the sweet ending. The Rosebud would stay open...Imogene found her perfect partner and perhaps there would be no more hauntings. Or maybe people would see the 2 of them together from time to time, happily viewing a movie. The thought of it being caught on film made me smile. If only.....

I could relate to the feelings that Alec had after he lost his brother, even though the time was a bit further back. For him, seeing something on film brought it all home to him, for me it was reading something in a book.

I also liked that Shane was one who saw her ghost.....way to be included! :D Are the other names people Joe knew/knows?

I haven't really had much to say, other than to go on about liking it- sorry!

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby val04463 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:39 pm

And there was a bottle of Coke in it...

I haven't read it for a while..but did it end with a playing of the Wizard of Qz? I would take that to mean that Imogene would be appeased and move on? Yes? No?
val04463

Postby LauraK on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:30 pm

It did end with a showing of Wizard of Oz, Val. Not only that, but Alec died during it and the two of them were then seen together, kissing. :)
So I hope they either moved on or stayed there with no more need to be seen by anyone else.

LK

LauraK

Postby val04463 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm

I love the imagry of old theaters..the one on Main Street in Bangor was awesome!! That is where I saw "The Way We Were" and my future husband had to help me across the street to our car I was sobbing so hard! That theater had such personality and of course..Smells!!
val04463

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:46 am

I thought this was such a romantic story. Not just between Alec and Imogene, but the romantic nostalgia for a place and simpler time; the romanticizing of those who've gone before.

Val and LK, I think Alec and Imogene stayed at the Rosebud because she always said he belonged there with her. She was excited about the movies so I can't imagine that would change. She just had someone to really share them with now. Imogene knew if the placed closed, she would lose Alec and the movies--and I think maybe she would have been trapped there, alone to stare at nothing but "a single, grotesque, used condom on the floor in the front of the stage." I think she visited all her movie friends and gave them the dream to revitalize the theater. Because, there was "no place like home" and home for her was the theater.

I also thought it was pretty cool that Shane got a nod in the story--curious why he saw her during American Graffiti. Just a random pick on Joe's part? Or, is there more significance for Shane here? I had a feeling I recognized a possible character or two from real people--not just Steven Spielberg in Steven Greenberg. But, not for me to speculate.

When Alec was young and first saw Imogene, he stole a piece of film from the manager's office--a piece showing a man and woman sharing a romantic kiss. He always wished he could be kissed like that and in the end, he was. And, it was captured on film no less.

I would like to think that maybe the piece of film Alec pockets as a kid and the film that captures Alec and Imogene kissing might be one and the same--I mean afterall, anything is possible when ghosts are involved. A piece of film found by a child that depicts him in the future. But, Alec's stolen piece of film is only 8 frames long, whereas the film shot of Alec and Imogene kissing is about a 100 frames long. So, I think that blows that theory out of the water. But still, he gets the girl.

Sweet, innocent, simple story. Wonderful.
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:40 am

Just an afterthought: Alec's brother who he lost in the war was a "film freak." This was a love that they shared, although I think Alec's passion for the movies evolved over time. But, anyway, he lost his brother in the Pacific Ocean Theater -- a name given to that area during the war -- and Alec buys a theater; his way of keeping Ray close. (I know, it's a stretch.)
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:12 am

And, FANTASIA really wasn't a kid movie. Not to insult the intelligence of children. I'm sure there are a rare few who can be swept up in the magic of it.

The artistry of this movie was gorgeous, especially given the period. The images, the music. Disney really was ahead of his time. This movie had a lot more to say about our world, and back then, a person had to be very careful about their ideas. Just like Dr. Seuss with his writing.
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:23 am

Shane, are you there? I can't get onto Joe's blog site, so he might have already done this. Joe mentioned that he would post 3 or 10 or maybe 20 (Okay, so he didn't exactly say that many) but he did say he would make some brief remarks about the stories as we talked about them.

Has he put up his remarks for 20th Century Ghost? Would love to see them. Thank you.
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:43 am

And I wonder WHY my post count is so high????

I think it would be fascinating to watch Joe's expressions as he reads our discussions about his writings. I can imagine him sitting there, reading our comments and thinking:

Hmmm, I never thought about it that way.

Good. Very good. Someone finally got it.

Where the fuck did she get that?

Who are these pack of retards reading my stuff?

Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Lol @ that last one, Dana! :D Hope he doesn't say that too often.....

Loved your comments on this one, more concise than my "I loved it!"s....

LK :)

LauraK

Postby sybil on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:47 pm

dang...i've got to catch up!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby val04463 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 pm

I love being one of a "Pack of Retards".....my spawn would kill me if she knew I was even typing it...Retard is NOT P.C......
val04463

Postby val04463 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:05 pm

I think if I were a ghost I would like to be at a Theater...

From Joe's Blog...Over on the message board, the unstoppable Dana Jean has started a kind of virtual book club, to talk about the stories in 20th Century Ghosts. I’m going to stay out of it - if someone wants to say they hated a story, they should be able to do so without being afraid the author is going to leap in to furiously defend his bruised ego. But I did think that I could say a few things about each story here on the blog, as it comes up in discussion over there. I’m thinking, like, three sentences. This week they’re talking about “Best New Horror,” the story that opens the book, so here are three sentences about that:

1. I stuck “Best New Horror” up at the front of the book because I thought it could serves as a kind of thesis statement for the rest of the collection - I saw it as a chance to spout off about horror’s unique power as a genre, and its place in the larger literary landscape.

2. Also when I wrote it, I was finishing up the collection, and I felt strongly that 20th Century Ghosts needed a story with some inbred chainsaw murderers in it.

3. As Val points out, the story features the word “twat.”

See, wasn’t that enlightening?

http://joehillfiction.com/?p=128
val04463

Postby val04463 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:08 pm

I bet Oprah and her stiff crotched women never enjoy a story more because it has the word twat!!

We should go on Oprah and talk about Real Books..not those mamsy pamsy love stories that make the grade over there.
val04463

Next

Return to 20th Century Ghosts