20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Joe's first collection.

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri May 02, 2008 2:15 pm

I love short stories. When I am recommended an author I've never read before, I tend to like to find a collection of short stories by them. I believe those are the true indicators of a consistent and polished writer. For a short story to work, a writer really has to be brilliant with the mechanics of writing. Grammar, punctuation, consistency with verb tenses and person, dangling and splitting and keeping focused. To be able to play with those things effectively--to even break the rules and make it work--, they have to know what they're doing. They have to write very tight and very clean to be good. I really think it showcases their skills.

Joe has mad skills.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Fri May 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Word.
8)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby skimom on Fri May 02, 2008 8:37 pm

Dana Jean wrote:I love short stories. When I am recommended an author I've never read before, I tend to like to find a collection of short stories by them. I believe those are the true indicators of a consistent and polished writer. For a short story to work, a writer really has to be brilliant with the mechanics of writing. Grammar, punctuation, consistency with verb tenses and person, dangling and splitting and keeping focused. To be able to play with those things effectively--to even break the rules and make it work--, they have to know what they're doing. They have to write very tight and very clean to be good. I really think it showcases their skills.

Joe has mad skills.

Sibyl-
What Dana Jean said-much better than how I put it!
skimom

Re: 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Postby Jula on Thu May 29, 2008 8:26 am

Barry Wood wrote:20th Century Ghosts is an awesome read
And the tales are vivid in imagination indeed
So if you have some time to kill
Why not read this book by Joe Hill

Im definitely heading out to Chapters to pick up a copy tomorrow.

I'd read a summary of it a couple of days ago on the net and I'm very intrigued!
Jula

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts