20thCG Story Discussion with SPOILERS: Pop Art

Joe's first collection.

Postby Dana_Jean on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Well, the story can really be a metaphor for anyone "different" from the norm. See, that's not even right. Because, who's to say what's normal? What is normal for one family or community may not be so for the next. But those differences could be with a handicap of some sort, or a different religion, different family situations, just a basic difference between right and wrong and "treat people the way you want to be treated."

It can be seen as a testament to friendship and the bond of friendship. The true character of a person. Popularity or the lack of it. Courage and strength to be true to oneself and to stand by and stick up for what's right. And love and loss. God-- I adored this story!

Is any of this making sense? I'm just throwing stuff out here. I haven't read this in a long time and I'm so looking forward to doing so again when we get to it's time for discussion.

This story has just about the best ending paragraph or two I have ever read.
Dana_Jean

Postby val04463 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:27 pm

To me..

Pop Art speaks to the fragility of childhoods friendships and to the way we view our parents and what they leave as an impression on us. I think most kids view their own parents as dumb, shallow oafs who think their children s loves and needs are inconsequential, whereas we always view our friend's parents as the parents we wish we had...
I also thought it spoke to the fact that us Non-Jewish people view Jewish parents as doting and very caring.
I think the story says that kids are very resilient, but sometimes things become too much to keep fixing.

I think it says that loving caring kids need to put a lot of effort into staying innocent and that some bullys will find people to pick on and taunt even if they have to be really creative in coming up with flaws in others.

I think Pop Art broke human interactions down to the barest of components and smacked us right in our hearts.
val04463

Postby Nerak on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:20 am

I think you two, Dana and Val, have said all I wanted to say about this story.

Simply AMAZING!!!
Nerak

Postby Samoa_Girl on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:33 pm

Nerak wrote:I think you two, Dana and Val, have said all I wanted to say about this story.

Simply AMAZING!!!

I second that comment! I absolutely loved this story.
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby val04463 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm

At work today "Levon" by Elton John was on and it made me think of Art...

Levon sells cartoon balloons in town
His family business thrives
Jesus blows up balloons all day
Sits on the porch swing watching them fly

And Jesus, he wants to go to Venus
Leaving Levon far behind
Take a balloon and go sailing
While Levon, Levon slowly dies
val04463

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm

oh val, that made me sad.
Dana_Jean

Postby Moe_Szyslak on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. They are very helpful.
Moe_Szyslak

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:45 pm

val04463 wrote:To me..

I think the story says that kids are very resilient, but sometimes things become too much to keep fixing.

I think Pop Art broke human interactions down to the barest of components and smacked us right in our hearts.

Oh Val...You've almost said it all for me in these two sentences. This is exactly how I feel about "Pop Art" I LOVED this story. This is the one I've been getting everyone at work to read...it is so beautiful and sweet (in a good way) and everyone loves it. It's so perfect and there are so many things you can say about it. You can talk about what being an inflatable person would do to you psychologically. Can you even begin to imagine how brave Art was? Even leaving the house everyday and going to school was dangerous. You think about the thoughtlessness of children who would bully such a person who was so fragile. I related especially to the line, "Art was different. He was all heart. He just wanted to be liked by someone." And, "That kind of person, they're never around long. Losers and jerks put nails in them and watch the air run out." That reminded me of what Douglas Adams wrote in THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE..." "...two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change...". Art was so beautiful and compassionate he even felt sorry for "the blender with fur" that wanted to take a bite out of him. It makes you wonder what is wrong with the world sometimes. It's like we just don't get it. We can sit here...read the paper and say, "Oh...that's terrible." and then we go out and do these cruel little things to each other, not realizing what we are doing. I'll never understand it.

Sorry...can't seem to stay off the soap box. Anyway, I did love this story...I loved the relationship of these two. I'd give my left arm to have a friend like Art. I love how he kept all of Art's notes. I loved the bit about the circumcision ("looks like I'm in the clear--Talmudically speaking"), I loved how they razzed each other all the time, I loved how Art had a dream of being an astronaut. There isn't anything I didn't love about this story. So happy, so sad, so perfect.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:48 pm

That was lovely Betsy.
Dana_Jean

Postby val04463 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:18 pm

Moe, would you like to buy a vowel?
val04463

Postby sybil on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:19 am

*SNORK!*
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:17 pm

Hey all, I guess we should just use this thread to continue our talk on POP ART seeing as how it is the next story up for discussion.

What say you Oh Messageboard minion? I will be re-reading this one tonight and I will post more of my comments. I know you are just waiting with bated breath. Good or bad depends, Of course, on what's it's been baited with. (I'm recycling my own dumb jokes.)
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:08 pm

Well, the story can really be a metaphor for anyone "different" from the norm. See, that's not even right. Because, who's to say what's normal? What is normal for one family or community may not be so for the next. But those differences could be with a handicap of some sort, or a different religion, different family situations, just a basic difference between right and wrong and "treat people the way you want to be treated."

It can be seen as a testament to friendship and the bond of friendship. The true character of a person. Popularity or the lack of it. Courage and strength to be true to oneself and to stand by and stick up for what's right. And love and loss.

My thoughts exactly, Dana. :) A very bittersweet and unforgettable story.

Now that I know what that picture is up there, I smile every time I see it.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Michael_D on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:33 pm

I just read this one today, it was incredible. The most perfect, and tragic outsider story I think I've ever read. It was just so damn good.
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:30 am

Were we done talking about Pop Art? Joe never posted his 3 comments on Pop Art. I MUST say more about Pop Art.

I'm rereading Pop Art today and will post more on it. Then I'll reread Locust and move over to it, okay LK?
Dana_Jean

PreviousNext

Return to 20th Century Ghosts