20thCG Story Discussion with SPOILERS: Pop Art

Joe's first collection.

Postby Michael_D on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:33 pm

I just read this one today, it was incredible. The most perfect, and tragic outsider story I think I've ever read. It was just so damn good.
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:30 am

Were we done talking about Pop Art? Joe never posted his 3 comments on Pop Art. I MUST say more about Pop Art.

I'm rereading Pop Art today and will post more on it. Then I'll reread Locust and move over to it, okay LK?
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:39 am

Joe is staying true to his word and has put up 3 things about Pop Art. Like I said, I'm not done talking about it, so I'll be back.
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:37 pm

I just read Pop Art again, and like the first time, I welled up. My eyelashes were wet and itchy and my nose got that runny drip thing happening--I just sat totally stunned at how amazing Joe's sensory description of Art was. And the feelings! The very complicated feelings the narrator had about friendship, growing up and just living life in general. How does someone capture that and put words to those feelings so eloquently?

At the time of my first read, I accused Joe of doing research on a blow-up doll that he called, Vanesssssa. I had a whole write-up that got lost with the old board--it was really great. But suffice to say, this story will continue to amaze me no matter how many times I read it.

It had a very Owen Meanyish feel to it. How can you not fall in love with Art? And it has the most memorable last line of any story I've ever read.

This one touched my heart.
Dana_Jean

Postby Nerak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:27 pm

It really is one AMAZING piece of writing!!
Nerak

Postby grasking on Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:01 am

"Pop Art" is my favorite short story of this collection and maybe any collection. It's sweet without being sappy. I could go on and on about this story. But I'd have to organize my thoughts first, because otherwise it would come out as a big run on sentence.
grasking

Postby Michael_D on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Pop Art is amazing, and maybe one of the best stories ever written, but have you ever tried to explain to someone why it's so great? Maybe it's just me, but I always end up looking like an idiot. "Yeah, it's this incredible story all about an inflatable boy," *Gets strange look* "No, I know, but it's really amazing..."
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby grasking on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:28 pm

Yeah, I tried explaining it to one of my friends and she looked at me like I was some kind of pervert.
grasking

Postby jodi on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:42 am

I too, looooove this story! I think done the right way this would make an excellent children's book. It has all the right elements, just needs to be cleaned up a bit and there ya go! An instant kids classic!

Just my 2 pennies.
I heart
jodi

Postby meridith on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:55 pm

When I first started reading it, all I could think of was Spongebob's Bubble Boy, or "Wilson" in "Castaway" (you know, tom hanks!)

but it's much more deep than that!

jodi wrote:I too, looooove this story! I think done the right way this would make an excellent children's book. It has all the right elements, just needs to be cleaned up a bit and there ya go! An instant kids classic!

Just my 2 pennies.
meridith

Postby meridith on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:58 pm

It was also interesting because you only saw it from the boys perspective-I wonder how other people saw him? Did he actually carry around an inflatable guy, or was it just in his head completely?

I think letting the inflatable boy go was like letting his Jewish family go-he said they moved a couple weeks after their inflatable boy dissapeared-I assume the main character knew they were moving and that was his way of saying "goodbye" for good.

Now the inflatable girl walking up to him while he was in college......and then marrying her......that brings it to a whole 'nother level LOL

Inflatable kids? LOL

Yeah, I know its all about metaphors..... :D

Dana Jean wrote:Well, the story can really be a metaphor for anyone "different" from the norm. See, that's not even right. Because, who's to say what's normal? What is normal for one family or community may not be so for the next. But those differences could be with a handicap of some sort, or a different religion, different family situations, just a basic difference between right and wrong and "treat people the way you want to be treated."

It can be seen as a testament to friendship and the bond of friendship. The true character of a person. Popularity or the lack of it. Courage and strength to be true to oneself and to stand by and stick up for what's right. And love and loss. God-- I adored this story!

Is any of this making sense? I'm just throwing stuff out here. I haven't read this in a long time and I'm so looking forward to doing so again when we get to it's time for discussion.

This story has just about the best ending paragraph or two I have ever read.
meridith

Postby meridith on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:04 pm

Whats sad is that you know that all the bad things that happened to Art is what the boy expereinced and felt.

We find out later that the bullies beat him up the same way the beat up Art (write colostamy bag on him, knock the wind out of him.) Art was his way of expressing his true wants, desires to others because he felt so unwanted. Art was also a safe reason to visit his "Jewish" family. The boy felt wilted and spent after having been left in the car-he needed to leave. Art was feeling like he needed to leave... but he was trapped. The "Art" part of him died when his Jewish family moved.....The boy couldn't plead with the family to not leave, so he cried for Art not to go....but in the end, he did.

I wonder how he really met the Jewish family. I wonder if they heard him talking outloud to himself, writing notes back and forth to himself. They they just accepted him for the way he was.

val04463 wrote:To me..

Pop Art speaks to the fragility of childhoods friendships and to the way we view our parents and what they leave as an impression on us. I think most kids view their own parents as dumb, shallow oafs who think their children s loves and needs are inconsequential, whereas we always view our friend's parents as the parents we wish we had...
I also thought it spoke to the fact that us Non-Jewish people view Jewish parents as doting and very caring.
I think the story says that kids are very resilient, but sometimes things become too much to keep fixing.

I think it says that loving caring kids need to put a lot of effort into staying innocent and that some bullys will find people to pick on and taunt even if they have to be really creative in coming up with flaws in others.

I think Pop Art broke human interactions down to the barest of components and smacked us right in our hearts.
meridith

Postby Mephistopheles on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:16 pm

This was probably one of my favorite stories along with the title story. I expected it to be just bizarre when I heard about the subject matter but it was actually heartfelt and touching.
Mephistopheles

Pop Art

Postby Barry_Wood on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:21 pm

I liked Pop Art very much. The first line made me chuckle, but I too almost wept at parts of this exceptional tale that is beautifully written. The thing is all of us have a part of Art in us or know someone who Art represents.[/i]
Barry_Wood

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:33 am

Pop Art is an incredibly sweet and endearing story, and it does Joe Hill's literary range justice, to say the least. However, the ending was a tad weak.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

PreviousNext

Return to 20th Century Ghosts