20thCG Story Discussion with SPOILERS: Pop Art

Joe's first collection.

Excellent story!

Postby miamiheat on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Mr. Hex wrote:Pop Art is an incredibly sweet and endearing story, and it does Joe Hill's literary range justice, to say the least. However, the ending was a tad weak.

Hmm, I just finished the story and really liked the ending. What did you find weak about it?

:arrow: Also, I noticed what could be some nifty elements that unobtrusively referenced a couple of Stephen King books. First, the father swinging the croquet mallet and smashing holes in the walls (The Shining), and then Art having to hide in the station wagon when Happy the dog attacks him (Cujo).
miamiheat

Re: Excellent story!

Postby Mr._Hex on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:23 am

miamiheat wrote:
Mr. Hex wrote:Pop Art is an incredibly sweet and endearing story, and it does Joe Hill's literary range justice, to say the least. However, the ending was a tad weak.

Hmm, I just finished the story and really liked the ending. What did you find weak about it?

:arrow: Also, I noticed what could be some nifty elements that unobtrusively referenced a couple of Stephen King books. First, the father swinging the croquet mallet and smashing holes in the walls (The Shining), and then Art having to hide in the station wagon when Happy the dog attacks him (Cujo).

I felt like the story should've ended sooner than it did. Those of you who read the story, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I didn't notice those King references, though. Good eye.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby KingoftheHill on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:29 pm

This WAS a great story. I won't say it's my favorite so far--mainly because it just didn't fit the mold for horror. I admit I was a little aprehensive when I learned I was reading about an inflatable boy. :twisted: The title "Pop Art" took on a while new meaning too!

The story worked though. For what it was--and most of you have mentioned the fact that kids can be cruel. If there's anything slightly different about you, you become a target. Been there, done that. Joe brought so much of it home.

And the bond was great. Not to mention all the little nuances that go along with being an inflatable boy: static electricity, etc.

Was the boy real or imaginary? That's a decent question. And could be reversed. Did the Art conjur up a friend of his own.

I am along the lines that both were real.

And he mentioned Coke.

I'm onto the next story. I'll report back later.

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby KingoftheHill on Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks. And my "edit" button seems to be on vacation--I can't find it. Instead of "the Art" it's just supposed to be "Art". :?

I really did like this story. I liked the story 20CG a little better though. I've got many more ahead of me!!!

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:54 pm

My 2 favs in the book were "Pop Art" and "Voluntary Committal".
"My Father's Mask" will freak you out, King. Totally. I'm still trying to get my head around that one.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby KingoftheHill on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:59 pm

Betsy Boo wrote:"My Father's Mask" will freak you out, King. Totally. I'm still trying to get my head around that one.

Cool!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm really loving the contrast of each story. Joe's got a well-rounded warped imagination!

8)

KingoftheHill

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:04 pm

KingoftheHill wrote:
Betsy Boo wrote:"My Father's Mask" will freak you out, King. Totally. I'm still trying to get my head around that one.

Cool!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm really loving the contrast of each story. Joe's got a well-rounded warped imagination!

8)

You got that right...I envy you in a way, reading these stories for the first time. 20thCG is definitely one of the best reading experiences I've ever had.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Snooky on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:50 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I laughed out loud and when I was done I had a perma-grin for a while. I'm not going to attempt to read anything into it or make assumptions about childhood angst. To me this was simply a bitter-sweet story of two buddies on the outside. With unique challenges, of course.

I just loved the "feel" of the story and the way Joe was able to make the rediculous totally believable and acceptable. Although, I did toy with the idea that Art was imaginary but in the end I just didn't care!

I also loved how in the end, the now grown boy finds the love of his life, who just happens to be infaltable too. (The mind can wander into the gutter on that point-teehee)
~If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a terrible warning.~
Snooky

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:11 am

LOL, snooky - you are gonna fit right in!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Snooky on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks Sybil! I'm thinking this might be my favorite story in the book. Not to discount the others at all, but this one really made me laugh. Dare I say, this may be a writing quality that Joe shares with his Dad. Often, I have laughed at the disturbing things in SK's novels. :twisted:
~If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a terrible warning.~
Snooky

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:11 am

oh i understand that! my hubby often asks what's so funny about a horror story when i'm reading king.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby KingoftheHill on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:27 pm

After reading the whole collection, this was my favorite "ghost" story. Maybe my fave, overall. There are a few others that are a bit different, but if Joe makes a living writing ghost stories, this story is the basis.

And I am sold! Hook, line, and sinker!

KingoftheHill

Postby KingoftheHill on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:34 pm

Dayum. I realize that I'm in the Pop Art section, not the 20th Century Ghost section. That's the "ghost" story I was referring. 8)

Pop Art is one of those other stories that I loved. Funny in so many ways!! Sad in so many other ways. Great stuff!!!!

KingoftheHill

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts