2CG Discussion: You Will Hear the Locust Sing

Joe's first collection.

Postby LauraK on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:02 am

Oogy?

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby val04463 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Never eating Left-Over Taco Salad againish???

Is that what the story was?
val04463

Postby foxslady on Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 pm

I've read thru to Abraham's Sons, and I have a feeling Joe had some serious nightmares as a kid, even worse than his dad's, the first story scared me silly and they just got worse from there. :D :twisted: :twisted:
I do most of my reading before bed so I'm having some doozies for nightmares myself. :lol: :lol:
Made me think of my youngest, we saw the old Fly on tv when he was about 3 and didn't realise he was paying any attention, a few months later there was a fly in the car and he was freakin' out. He was afraid he'd turn into a fly and someone would hit him with a fly swatter and squash him, poor liitle guy.

Barb
wrinkles are left over smiles
foxslady

Postby meridith on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:38 pm

What really made me mad at Francis was when he ate his friend because he "loved him." And his friend thought he was so cool (or the bug that is). I also thought it was interesting that his friend sensed he was down hiding in the garbage. I got the sense that after he ate his dad, his mind started to turn to that of a bug rather than a human. He also said he was not going to eat the praying girl, but decided to go back but she was gone luckily. He lost his ability to feel for others.

Samoa_Girl wrote:LK, you pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly. I felt sorry for Francis, up unitl he ate his dad. I found it quite comical when he was trying to eat the taco salad and couldn't because he had no hands. :twisted: I think this is another story of becareful what you wish for... for some reason I think Francis wasn't too sad that he lost his body.
Last edited by meridith on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meridith

Postby meridith on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:39 pm

They lived near a nuclear testing area so I assume thats how they got there so quick (he kept talking about "seeing the bomb" and his eyes burning, a 4 eyed rabbit, etc.)

Michael D wrote:I really enjoyed it, but I did wonder why the army showed up when they did. I mean I could see the cops, but the whole damn army, complete with a tank. I get that he was trying to get the feel of an old 50's atomic monster movie though, so it didn't bug me too much.
meridith

Postby meridith on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:42 pm

ok I loved this story! The way he described him hiding down in the garbage, pictured his antanne poking out....I found that part funny for some reason. And him flying away at the end. Like I said before, I was mad at him for killing his friend though! the whole eating crickets turning him into one was even more cool-it was really gross how it described the taste of bugs.....ew.......

I wonder if Joe researched how bugs tasted on his own? LOL "hmm, I'll have him eat a moth...mmm...this tastes like...grass!"

what young child hasn't pretended to be a giant bug/monster/giant and eat all the bullies/bad guys, etc. especially a child that has been bullied. I think he was in junior high? I dont' remember.
meridith

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:39 pm

meridith wrote:What really made me mad at Francis was when he ate his friend because he "loved him." And his friend thought he was so cool (or the bug that is). I also thought it was interesting that his friend sensed he was down hiding in the garbage. I got the sense that after he ate his dad, his mind started to turn to that of a bug rather than a human. He also said he was not going to eat the praying girl, but decided to go back but she was gone luckily. He lost his ability to feel for others.

This makes perfect sense...I feel stupid that I didn't think of it. I guess I had the idea that it was the power that corrupted Francis. I never thought about the fact that if his body changed into that of a bug, his mind would also change. Good insight, meridith!

BTW, I took in this story on a purely emotional, visceral level. It really turned my stomach...but in a good way(?). Now I want to go back and read it again to see if I can get any insights beyond that. I did read "Metamorphosis" years ago and was reminded of it as I began "Locusts". This story is a really good example of the way Joe can tell a story you can become lost in. My mind never wanders when I read his work. I am totally invested.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:17 am

I loved this story. It was a very clever nod to B-list horror flicks like The Fly and Them!, as well as the entire EC comic era. The ending was perfect, and Francis was characterized incredibly well.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby KingoftheHill on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:52 pm

I liked this one too. It was just a "fun" read. It was a little weird (sort of like "is this really happening") at the beginning, but took a life of it's own. I do think that his mind started changing after he ate his dad. He didn't like regular food--and I think that was because, as a boy, he liked eating bugs. As a bug, it stands to reason, he'd like humans.

The open-end ending didn't set well with me on this story. I needed a little more closure.

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby KingoftheHill on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 am

It was twisted. :twisted:

I'm just starting Abraham's Sons. After reading Pop Art, this story, and now Arbraham's, I am wondering if Joe's relying on any personal experience, as so many authors do. I'm one who places his dad on a pedistal, but would it be different if he'd been MY dad??? If there's any truth in these stories, I don't know.

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Florida on Wed May 21, 2008 3:07 pm

This story was really great.
I absolutely LOVE Kafka so it was easy to love this story. Except "Locust" made me sad and "Metamorphosis" made me laugh.
That part in Metamorphosis when the apple sticks in the kid's back just gets me everytime I read it...don't know why. It just strikes me and makes me giggle.
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts