2CG Discussion: You Will Hear the Locust Sing

Joe's first collection.

2CG Discussion: You Will Hear the Locust Sing

Postby LauraK on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:38 pm

*****Spoilers*****
Well now. This was a fun read. It was like an EC comic come to life. Every bizarre, nerdy kid's revenge-fantasy. Well, if that nerdy kid happens to want to become a bug and wreak bloody, acid-diarrhea vengeance upon those who've wronged him.

I haven't read too deeply into it- don't know whether he was transformed strictly because of the radiation or if Ellas' reading of Revelation was more on the mark. We only got to see from the perspective of Francis/Locust.

Joe has certainly proven here that he can write a gross-out with the best of them! It was bad enough when he killed Ella.......but when he farted on his father's torso and soaked him with the liquifying-butt-goo, you just knew what was coming.

He swallowed his father's puddled innards in great gulping mouthfuls, his mandibles clicking wetly.

Bravo! I was glad not to be snacking on anything as I read that part. :)

Then he moves on to the school and goes on his rampage. You might compare this to the many stories we see in the news about the loners who, after years of being on the outside socially, bring guns to school and cut down their classmates and teachers. It ends with the classic standoff, police and tanks outside ready to take down the attacker. I would have liked to see how it turned out. Nasty as he was, I was sort of rooting for Francis a bit.....he'd been wronged by his father and I wasn't sorry to see him go. However, once he killed his friend and really started getting into the killing- I was ready to see him taken out. Or maybe see a swarm of other large locusts flying in behind all of the "good-guys" as Francis flew out that window.

A very enjoyable read....I'm sure others will have many thoughts to add to mine. So c'mon..... :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby sybil on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:17 am

this was the only one of the bunch that left me with my "WTF?" feeling.

i'd better re-read it tonight.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Michael_D on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:25 am

I really enjoyed it, but I did wonder why the army showed up when they did. I mean I could see the cops, but the whole damn army, complete with a tank. I get that he was trying to get the feel of an old 50's atomic monster movie though, so it didn't bug me too much.
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Michael D., You said bug.

Yes. Yes you did.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:11 pm

:P

LauraK

Postby Michael_D on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Yep, I started putting bother down, then I remembered my promise to feed my inner dorkyness whenever I get the chance.
Michael_D

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:01 am

This story I think is too smart for me. I've read reviews that say this is very reminiscent of Kafka's The Metamorphosis which is a writing I'm aware of and have heard about, but have never personally read.

In doing some research, there have been books on Kafka's story that say there are over 130 different interpretations. You Will Hear the Locust Sing could probably claim its own fair share of interpretations. As with any story, everyone will see their own meanings.

This one, to me, had a hopeless, helpless, lonely feel to it. Like LauraK said, definitely very Kleboldesque. And I also see it as a fond nod to the old sci-fi B flicks like Michael D. pointed out.

I'm anxious to hear Joe's three on this one.

Or, Maybe a bug is just a bug?
Dana_Jean

Postby Michael_D on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:04 pm

I enjoyed this story much more than Metamorphosis.
Michael_D

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:51 pm

Okay guys, Joe put up his three about Locust--and go add the adjective.

For some reason, Vincent C.'s artwork of the Locust boy really creeps me out.
Dana_Jean

Postby Samoa_Girl on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:11 am

LK, you pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly. I felt sorry for Francis, up unitl he ate his dad. I found it quite comical when he was trying to eat the taco salad and couldn't because he had no hands. :twisted: I think this is another story of becareful what you wish for... for some reason I think Francis wasn't too sad that he lost his body.
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby val04463 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:55 am

I thought the Army came because there were more giant bugs than him?
val04463

Postby LauraK on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:46 am

That was one of my thoughts too, Val. So did you think it was due to radiation or biblically inspired?

Samoa girl- there were quite a few comical bits, huh? And I agree- it seemed that he had finally gotten exactly what he had been dreaming of. :)

I would have liked to have had a bit more.... :)

LK

LauraK

Postby val04463 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:41 pm

I got the feeling that the story wanted us to see that individuality is sooo important to young people that they will be happy with being different, no matter what the consequences. For some reason, I kept getting an image of really punked out teens as I was reading this....I sometimes look at young 'uns with all the piercings and think" Wow, those must ooze."

I don't mean to ridicule or put them down, I just sometimes think they must have hygiene issues with all their holes.
val04463

Postby Nerak on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:33 am

For some reason, this story bothered me more than most...it was just, what's the word I am looking for.....wrong :?
Nerak

Postby LauraK on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:02 am

Oogy?

LK

LauraK

Next

Return to 20th Century Ghosts