A COMMENT ON UPCOMING 20THCGs DISCUSSIONS

Joe's first collection.

A COMMENT ON UPCOMING 20THCGs DISCUSSIONS

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:34 pm

By no means do I come here to tell anyone how to behave, because I have no right too, nor is it my place too; but I would just like to say something if I could about our upcoming discussion of the stories.

What makes a story interesting--well, besides the story itself--is the differing viewpoints that we all have. Everyone takes in the information they receive and they process it through their own experiences and feelings. I really thought about this after I jumped all over--was it whywhen?--when he came to the board and questioned Joe's work. I didn't mean to go off on his post so harshly, but I did and I felt bad that I wasn't more open to the informational needs of other people. So, I'm a better person for it. That doesn't mean I'll be all ass kissy, but I will definitely conduct myself like an adult and appreciate other viewpoints.

What I'm saying is, let's all remember that not everyone is going to like everything about Joe's stories. So, we can agree to disagree and I think all of us here are capable of debating topics and issues without it deteriorating into name calling or angry posts, right? I've just seen this happen over and over again on other author's Web sites. Someone comes on and doesn't like a "masterpiece" of the author and then it all goes to hell in a handbasket from there.

Of course, we're all here because of a common thing: We love Joe's writing. This tends to make us a bit protective. I would just encourage that we listen to everyone's posts and give the respect that we would want given to us.

So let it be written, so let it be done. :D Did this sound okay?
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:23 pm

"...goes to hell in a handbasket."

You've been to the Mile, haven't you?

I agree. No guarantee it won't happen but I think there's much less chance here, though, as everyone senses the calming vibe that rules here and knows that Shane is really quick on the draw. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Haven't been to the Mile in quite some time. Need to stop by and say hi. Did someone use that expression there? It's a pretty common cliche. I try not to use cliches too much, but sometimes, they just work.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 pm

That works fine- things have just gone to hell in a handbasket Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany times, lol. Mainly at the original Mile, not so much at our new home. :)
Most of us have been there since 2000, some a bit earlier, some later. And there have been many, many a dust-up.

I don't see that kind of thing happening here. :)

LK

LauraK

Postby val04463 on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:26 pm

I second the motion Dana Jean and I for one am sort of "Special" when it comes to "getting" deep meanings, metaphors and symbolism, so I hope no one jumps down my throat when I fuck things up. And if they do will it really mean they are jumping down my throat or will it mean their mother, or my mother, stopped nursing too soon?! :shock:
val04463

Postby sybil on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:27 pm

i agree DJ. well put.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Samoa_Girl on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 pm

Val, you aren't the only on that is "special" when it comes to that. :oops:

Poison, I hope you get frequent flyer miles! :twisted:

I get paid today so I hope to have a copy in my hands by Monday!
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:57 am

One thing I really like about this board is everyone is so civil to each other. I happen to think civility is a virtue, even though most people these days seem to think it's cool to be rude and even downright cruel. I think if anyone gets out of line...personal attacks or nasty language...Shane will come to the rescue like Mighty Mouse. But so far I haven't seen any real ugliness here...not like on some boards. I am more than looking forward to hearing others opinions about the stories in 20thCG. Frankly, I'm especially looking forward to hearing what people think about "My Father's Mask". That story totally freaked me out and I still think about it sometimes. I can't get my mind around it...is it a metaphor or just a really scary story? What does it say about me that it freaked me out so badly?
Ok...I know I'm getting ahead of the game here. I'm sorry. Whenever you guys are ready to start the discussion I'll be ready.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Also, is there anybody on here that knows how to pose those really great thought-provoking questions? You know, you buy a book and in the back, they have these book club suggested topics for discussion--are any of you good at this type of thing?

I think each story we talk about should have it's own thread with Spoiler notices of course.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:53 am

Not yet.

LK

LauraK

Postby val04463 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:58 am

As you can see from my posts, I am incapable of mature, meaningful, deep discussions. I hope this is going to be slow and easy!!
val04463

Postby Samoa_Girl on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Got my copy on Saturday night! 8)
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:37 am

Are we about ready to discuss the first story in 20thCGs? I'm going to go ahead and put up a thread, so if anyone would care to jump in there and start the ball rolling, I'm behind you all the way. Maybe start out with your overall impression of the story to warm things up? Whaddya think?
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:01 am

:cry: I still don't have my book........and yes, I'm whining like a baby. :cry:

LK

LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:44 am

LK, when you going to have that book girl?
Dana_Jean

Next

Return to 20th Century Ghosts