Bobby Conroy Comes Back From the Dead--Spoilers

Joe's first collection.

Bobby Conroy Comes Back From the Dead--Spoilers

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:34 pm

I think it's time to move to the next story. Now I know that this story wasn't in the original incarnation of 20thCG so is it ok with everyone to put this out there for discussion? I'll check back tomorrow in case anyone has any objections. If not, I'd like to discuss this one.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Yes, Betsy. I say go for it. I'm a little behind, but I'll catch up with ya'all.
Dana_Jean

Postby Mr._Hex on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:22 pm

A nice little story, no more, no less.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby Michael_D on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:49 pm

It made me want to watch Dawn Of The Dead. Greatest zombie movie ever!
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby LauraK on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:47 am

Michael D wrote:It made me want to watch Dawn Of The Dead. Greatest zombie movie ever!

Tell it, Michael! That was my first zombie movie, age 17, 1984 at the midnight show-wooooooo! Best ever, for sure!
"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."

Sorry, Betsy. :oops:

I liked it until the end. They were going to start an affair, have their do-over and little Bobby would be stuck in the middle and be the most hurt. At least that's how I saw it. Real downer for me.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby miamiheat on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am

I enjoyed it as well, not necessarily the best story in the collection, but a nice change of pace. I especially liked the integration of George Romero and Tom Savini into the story, made it even more realistic!
"In the end, people usually get a bit more of what they want than they can really handle, don't they?" - Joe Hill
miamiheat

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm

I certainly see your point LK...that bothered me a little, too. I was thinking when I read it that it really seems to take men a lot longer to figure life out. Sorry for the generalization, guys, but I've seen so many men screw up relationships because they don't have their priorities straight until they grow up a little. What is truly important in life? I know a lot of men who don't figure it out until they hit middle age and a lot of times it's too late. I would've felt alot better if Harriet had been divorced when she and Bobby met. I did feel a little sorry for Dean. And I wondered why Harriet married him. Was she pregnant?

Having said that, I do like the message about "do-overs". Especially because that is something I've told my girls over the years. Whenever they have had a "failure" of some kind I've used those exact words. When your kids are teens they see every perceived failure as the end of their lives. It's important to pass on the message that the important thing is not the failure, but having the ability and determination to get back up on the horse when you fall off.

I actually liked this story alot. I liked learning about shooting a zombie film...that seems like it would be alot of fun. I have always wanted to be in a movie. I loved the humorous banter between Bobby and Harriet. Laughed out loud a couple of times. I thought it was a sweet story. My only real question: was little Bobby big Bobby's son? There was that point where big Bobby makes note of the fact that little B had his same coloring and features.

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:21 pm

i thought he was his son, betsy.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 pm

So the question is...if little Bobby is big Bobby's son, does that make their possible affair kosher? I guess I'm a little open minded about love, but not so much about cheating. I believe that people fall in love all the time. It's how they react that counts. If he is Bobby's son and Harriet decides that she wants to be with Bobby the honorable thing to do is tell Dean. Be upfront.

BTW, I'm kinda sorry about what I said about men. That's my own stuff...my own emotional crap...my own experience. I hope no one is offended by it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby jodi on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:16 pm

I haven't a clue about this story. I don't rember this one. It must not have been in the library copy I read. :?
I heart
jodi

Postby miamiheat on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:08 am

jodi wrote:I haven't a clue about this story. I don't rember this one. It must not have been in the library copy I read. :?

I believe it was not included in the original release from PS Publishing...
"In the end, people usually get a bit more of what they want than they can really handle, don't they?" - Joe Hill
miamiheat

Postby supreme on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:24 pm

This story is in the book i have and i wondered about what it had
to do with ghosts in the 20th century, and then i thought that there
can be many kinds of ghosts....our memories can be the ghosts of days
gone by....our past lives and relationships....all gone but alive and
well in our memories....Bobby's life had been good before but had been
stagnant lately and he needed to feel alive again.........i dont know, i
need to think about this thought a little more....
supreme

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:48 am

supreme wrote:This story is in the book i have and i wondered about what it had
to do with ghosts in the 20th century, and then i thought that there
can be many kinds of ghosts....our memories can be the ghosts of days
gone by....our past lives and relationships....all gone but alive and
well in our memories....Bobby's life had been good before but had been
stagnant lately and he needed to feel alive again.........i dont know, i
need to think about this thought a little more....

I think you're right...Bobby was "dead" so in a sense he was a ghost. It took love to bring him back to life. And isn't that true for all of us? I like how Joe uses a zombie film (people coming back from the dead) as a back drop to Bobby's re-animation. When you think about it, it is a pretty cool metaphor.

Betsy_Boo

Postby supreme on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:15 pm

yes i hadnt even realized that one either...sometimes tho its
best to just enjoy a book or story and not try too hard to analyze
it every time....but joe has a great story telling mind! Everyday
stories that most of us might not think to write about but which
makes us all think...ya i know what hes saying.
:)
supreme

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:48 pm

I liked the story. The movie scene as a backdrop was fun. I know that sybil actually played a zombie extra on a movie set, so that's cool. Whether little Bobby was big Bobby's is left to the reader to decide, or did I miss something obvious? I really didn't like Bobby's attitude towards Dean. Especially when he thought "If I were little Bobby's dad, he'd still have all his fingers.." That's a shitty way to think, IMO. :evil: Selfish and childish.

Lot's of cliche's about two people meeting after several years apart and refalling (probably not a word, lol) in love. I agree that men can take longer to figure things out in life. The mid-life crisis is evidence of that in men, more than women.

So, don't worry Betsy about saying that. I, as a man, agree.

I'm just glad I got it right the first time. *knock on wood*

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Next

Return to 20th Century Ghosts