DEADWOOD -- SPOILERS

Joe's first collection.

DEADWOOD -- SPOILERS

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:56 pm

I didn't see a topic for this little tiny tale, but I didn't want it to slip by without getting its due.

What? A page maybe? Very brief little news snippet of a story, but I liked it. It reminded me of my heart tree. I do think there are ghost trees and I own a piece of one.

I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do believe in spooks.

Dana_Jean

Postby sybil on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:02 pm

you should tell that whole story again, DJ. it was very touching.

that was a nice little story...was it in the UK version? i sure don't remember it!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:08 pm

You know...I'm ashamed to admit this, but I had forgotten this one too. Just went back to read it again...it's in the US version. It's really almost like a poem. It is sad and beautiful.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Mr._Hex on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:23 pm

At the risk of sounding uncultured, I hated the f**k out of Deadwood. It just seemed so utterly pointless.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby jodi on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 pm

Oh, I had forgotten this one too! I did like it tho'.
I heart
jodi

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Mr. Hex wrote:At the risk of sounding uncultured, I hated the f**k out of Deadwood. It just seemed so utterly pointless.

Really? I guess because I had my tree experience, I just really related to the thought that there are ghost trees. It was a short piece, but it spoke to my experience.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:40 am

Dana Jean wrote:
Mr. Hex wrote:At the risk of sounding uncultured, I hated the f**k out of Deadwood. It just seemed so utterly pointless.

Really? I guess because I had my tree experience, I just really related to the thought that there are ghost trees. It was a short piece, but it spoke to my experience.

Would it be prying to ask about the story behind your heart tree?

I don't see it as pointless...doesn't everyone have a special tree they remember? Mine was the giant oak we had in our front yard. I used to climb it all the time and hide. It was one of my few sanctuaries while growing up and I would climb as high as I could so I could be alone. When it started dying and my parents cut it down I felt like I had lost a friend and everytime I go home it hurts to see that empty space.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:09 am

Betsy, my heart tree story is on here somewhere. I'm not sure what thread it's in. I'll see if I can do a search and find it. Be right back.
Dana_Jean

Postby And_Goes on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:10 am

Very cool tree Dana Jean. I rather liked Deadwood. It was very touching I thought. I've always loved trees, they are wonderful. When the wind blows they sing.
I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. They don't know I'm only using blanks...Emo Phillips
And_Goes

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:48 am

Found it Betsy. Remainder Bin, Autumn fun page 8.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:58 am

Dana Jean wrote:Found it Betsy. Remainder Bin, Autumn fun page 8.

That was really beautiful Dana. I don't know how I missed reading it the first time around. I don't know how to put into words the emotions I'm feeling, but I'm definitely going to call my mama today. And I don't think I'll ever look at a tree the same way again. I'm so glad you got to keep your heart tree.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Thank you. I get choked up thinking about it.
Dana_Jean

Postby Charlie on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:20 pm

I loved the story. A very lyrical feel about it, the same way I felt about the style of HSB.
A very nice haunting tale of loss and so many other things in such a short story.
A happy day makes for short conversations, while tragic days can fill shelves.

"...so we crashed the gate doin' 98 sayin' let them truckers roll 10-4..." C.W. McCall
Charlie

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:45 am

I had fast-forwarded to this story. Short--wow!!!

Dana, I loved the story of your tree. Touching. And the picture is still amazing.

There wasn't too much said in Joe's story, but it contains one of my absolute favorite lines:

Something that doesn't know it's alive obviously can't be expected to know when it's dead.

Are you kidding me??!!?? That has to be one of the best lines ever written!!!

Kudo's to you, Joe!

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Return to 20th Century Ghosts