Eyes

Joe's first collection.

Eyes

Postby sparky457 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:40 pm

I've noticed Joe has a weird thing about eyes, specifically them being blocked or covered up (HSB, Best New Horror). What do you guys think about this? I think it's interesting, because, if you think about it, the eyes are what make people look human. If you look at the wax figures in a museum, they look so real, but it's always the eyes that give it away. Are there other stories that show this?
sparky457

Postby jodi on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:51 pm

I must be having a senior moment, I don't have a clue what your talking about. Refresh my failing memory.
I heart
jodi

Postby LoganRaider on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:31 pm

I've read it in quite a few books. Never "black squiggles" like in HSB. Just some off the top of my mind from his dad. In Bag of Bones, the ghosts have completely white eyes. I just read Duma Key, and the ghosts/zombies/whatever in that had silver eyes.

I think it is a common theme in horror because it is so terrifying. It is like the wrong voice coming out of someone's mouth, it just seems wrong. Hell, I remember watching quite a few "Are You Afraid of the Dark" in my youth that had ghosts with solid colored eyes because it was creepy (I don't know the age grouping here, but you might remember the show if you're as young as me).
LoganRaider

Postby meridith on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 pm

In Best new horror he had the buttons on his eyes (Button boy).

Anything with eyes getting hit, stabbed, poked, grosses me out. I think its my worst gross out, seconded by seeing someone be disemboweled in a movie.

jodi wrote:I must be having a senior moment, I don't have a clue what your talking about. Refresh my failing memory.
meridith

Postby LoganRaider on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:18 pm

I was fine the entire time of that movie Hostel until that girl's eye was hanging out, and he had to get scissors and cut it off. :shock:
LoganRaider

Re: Eyes

Postby Mercy on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:17 pm

sparky457 wrote:I've noticed Joe has a weird thing about eyes, specifically them being blocked or covered up (HSB, Best New Horror). What do you guys think about this? I think it's interesting, because, if you think about it, the eyes are what make people look human. If you look at the wax figures in a museum, they look so real, but it's always the eyes that give it away. Are there other stories that show this?

They say that eyes are the windows to the soul, so maybe he's saying that their soul is empty, or blocked? Pics that have the eyes scratched out of obscured always freak me out for that reason.
Mercy

Postby This_Girl on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:07 am

I noticed the scribbled eyes in HSB, of course...and in Best New Horror (I read HSB first) I noticed the eyes were touched on again.

My response is; Eyes are the doorways to our souls (so I have been told) - If you are dead, your soul may be elsewhere...Or, if it's the soul we are "seeing" - then that doorway is gone. Yep, that's my response.
This_Girl

Postby jodi on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:20 am

Ah yes, that's right, buttons and scribbles... well if they eyes are the windows to the soul, and your dead...then your soul is gone and therefore the windows are closed...or maybe their closed so the soul can't get out and is suffering trapped in a dead body??? Idk, but yeah, it's creepy, the eye thing.
I heart
jodi

Return to 20th Century Ghosts