Help me out here

Joe's first collection.

Help me out here

Postby doodoobird on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:38 pm

Yeah, so I FINALLY got 20th century Ghost (well, not really. I finally ordered it I should say. The bookstores around me NEVER have it.). I am really looking forward to it. I've heard good things. Plus, I LOVE short story collections. Quick easy and satisfying, usually. Plus, I can read short stories while am reading a Novel, never distracts me. Like if a Novel is dragging at a certain part, I'll give it a break for a day and read a short story. I am currently reading Armegeddons Children (Terry Brooks), while at the same time reading a best of H.P Lovecraft short story collection. Next I will read this book called the Kite Runner, I believe its called, while either reading the Lovecraft book or 20th Century Ghosts on the side. Then, part two of the terry brooks trilogy while reading the NEW STEPHEN KING SHORT STORY COLLECTION, YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!! Everythings Eventual was the shiznit.
Anyway, I was wondering if someone could suggest some of the ones to start with in 20th Century Ghost. You see, I rarely ever finish a book of short stories in one shot. Usually I will read most of them and save a couple for rainy days in the future. And I am sure the whole book is good but a few that will really do it for me to start me off. So, anyone............................. ????
Yo mama
doodoobird

Re: Help me out here

Postby This_Girl on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:42 pm

The two I liked most were Pop Art and Abraham's Boys. I am not arse kissin' when I say I really enjoyed all the stories...they are all great, DDB - those are just the two I liked *most*.
This_Girl

Postby Florida on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Yea, Pop Art was hands down the best short story I've ever read.
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 pm

I loved every single story in the book, but my 2 favorites were "Pop Art" and "Voluntary Committal". I have a feeling, DDB, that you would also love "Best New Horror"...you really should start with that one, if I know you at all.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby doodoobird on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Just got it in the mail today. Along with a biography I read years ago. 'Come as you are', its a book written on the life of Kurt Cobain. I read it when I was really into Nirvana in middle school-High school. I like it because except for the last ten pages the whole book was written before he died, it was finished a few months before. this is great because you get a different perspective in the book. Today, Cobain is glorrified, a rock and roll martyr. Every Nirvana fan should read it. Very in depth. Can wait to start Ghosts. AM gonna read a short one in a min.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby LauraK on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:06 am

I loved Voluntary Committal, You Will Hear the Locust Sing, and The Black Phone....as well as Pop Art and The Cape......

Hell, they're all good! I bet you finish this book of shorts. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:13 am

my fathers mask is on my fav.......pop art...its ok....LOL
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby sybil on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:11 pm

pop art and the cape were my best. but seriously, they were all good, and i don't generally like short stories.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby grasking on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:08 pm

"Voluntary Committal", "Pop Art" and "The Cape".
grasking

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 am

Pop Art, The Cape, Last Breath
Dana_Jean

Postby This_Girl on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:29 pm

doodoobird wrote:Just got it in the mail today. Along with a biography I read years ago. 'Come as you are', its a book written on the life of Kurt Cobain. I read it when I was really into Nirvana in middle school-High school. I like it because except for the last ten pages the whole book was written before he died, it was finished a few months before. this is great because you get a different perspective in the book. Today, Cobain is glorrified, a rock and roll martyr. Every Nirvana fan should read it. Very in depth. Can wait to start Ghosts. AM gonna read a short one in a min.

I have that one! If you like that one b/c it was before he was glorified....get your hands on um...Route 666, The Road to Nirvana. That is some raw literature and it was before Nevermind broke. Well, all the stories and goings-on...it was released after Nevermind, I believe.
I have a few others just 'cause....I have always liked Come As You Are the most.
This_Girl

Postby Starchild on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 pm

I had 20th Century Ghosts in hardcover. I read it in a day. I liked Voluntary Committal and Pop Art.
Starchild

Return to 20th Century Ghosts