IN THE RUNDOWN -- **SPOILERS**

Joe's first collection.

Postby grasking on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:53 am

sybil wrote:reading about the baseball rundown, i wondered why it was included. at the end, i figured it was a metaphor for the rock and hard place he found himself in at the end.

i think he'd take the fall for it, too.

When I was a kid we use to play a game called pickle; same concept as a baseball rundown. I need to reread the story, but when you're in a rundown or a pickle, not only are you between a rock and a hard place; you're trying to get somewhere safe.
grasking

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:31 am

I felt that In the Rundown was a little disjointed, and it ended abruptly, but otherwise it was very effective.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby KingoftheHill on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Yes, the ending (or non-ending) is discomforting and unsatisfying. I know that we're all able to come to certain conclusions, but I sometimes prefer the writer to do that for me.

Dana summed it up best with all the physical evidence against Wyatt. You can only see where it will go. The only thing that might save him is that she was likely seen either buying or stealing the knife--and there are all the overdue bills.

The scenes at the video store really didn't seem to have relevance, other than Wyatt seeing the mother emerge from the store.

The writing was good and kept me on edge throughout, so in that respect, it was effective. I just needed a little more in the end.

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:59 pm

I thought the stuff that happened at the video store would be used against him in court...goes to motive, eh? ("He was just a pissed off young punk lookin' to get even with someone 'cause he got fired," said the detective.) That's why I pretty much assume that he's gonna take the fall. Everything and everyone is against him.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:24 am

Betsy Boo wrote:I thought the stuff that happened at the video store would be used against him in court...goes to motive, eh? ("He was just a pissed off young punk lookin' to get even with someone 'cause he got fired," said the detective.) That's why I pretty much assume that he's gonna take the fall. Everything and everyone is against him.

I totally agree. I think I just wanted that "click" made towards the end of the story.

I still think Wyatt would not have taken the fall in the end. In my best CSI scenario, the evidence would have fallen on the mom.

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Snooky on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:13 pm

[quote="Dana Jean"]Well, my thoughts during this whole thing were: Wyatt is going to get accused of this horrible crime. The mother did it, but every move she made, whether consciously or not, was setting Wyatt up to take the fall. She got her children's blood all over him; she scratched his face; she forced him to hurt her when he punched her in the neck and in the face. She got him to dig in her purse and touch all the items; she got him to ultimately touch the murder weapon. He pulled strands of her hair out, so they would be on him.
quote]

My thoughts exactly! No need for me to expand.
~If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a terrible warning.~
Snooky

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts