IN THE RUNDOWN -- **SPOILERS**

Joe's first collection.

IN THE RUNDOWN -- **SPOILERS**

Postby Dana_Jean on Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:59 pm

I thought I'd just stick this up in case anyone was ready to go on it. With Christmas and all, I'm pretty sure everyone's schedules are pretty hectic.

:)
Dana_Jean

Postby meridith on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:46 pm

I always try to pick up themes in stories.....this one was a little harder for me because of where it ended.

One theme I picked up on is that not everyone is how they seem?

for example he thought the lady who he mowed lawns for had it all, but he meets up with her years later and she is apparnelty in credit card debt and just tried to kill her because she was in some kind of psychotic post partum depression.....

It struck me as odd when she left her kids in the car to go in the hardware store....Wyatt assumes that she is just being a snob not acknowledging her, when she was really in a daze. Everything was just a show...when she was on the phone playing with all those credit cards.

The girl in the Video store probably really liked Wyatt.....again, trying to cover up who she really was, trying to look all "punk" and making out with the circus guy.....she was probably just trying to impress Wyatt...and he blows her off so she reacts defensively.

He thought the video store boss and he were friends...in reality she had no problem firing him.

Wyatt put on a tough guy act, but he was really terrified when he saw that poor kid bleeding out. And when he was sad, he reacted like he was angry. The only one who didn't seem to be putting on a show was Trent, the kid from the other team who turned out to be a cop. He was hoping Trent would be there for him and could expect him to be.

oh and one other thing, I noticed that "Twin City Pizza" is mentioned. I assume this takes place in Bangor.....I've noticed many of Joe's stories don't really mention locations, or are vague. this was a passing reference that you might not know unless you lived in Bangor.

I don't know....I had a harder time with this one....any thoughts??????
meridith

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:33 am

I found this story to be totally creepy and anxiety provoking...of course I loved it! I think you're right meridith, about the theme. Nothing is what it seems to be on the surface. The thing that got to me the most is the way it ended...I still get anxious wondering how the hell it was going to play out! You just know that psycho lady was telling the cop that Wyatt had done the deed and after what he had been through that day...his beligerance at work, getting fired, his reputation...etc...that he's going to look guilty. Who's gonna take his word over hers? Of course, the optimist in me wants to believe that the cop will believe him, the lady will get put away, the little boy will survive, and Wyatt, having been profoundly affected by the experience, will move on to lead a happier, more productive life. Pretty unrealistic, eh?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:13 am

I don't have to type much because you did it for me, Betsy. :) And Meridith- right on with the theme.

Exactly how I felt. This one made me reallllllly nervous and I hated that I didn't know how it all ended!

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby sybil on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:01 pm

obviously, this needs a reread by me, because this isn't ringing my bells hard enough...
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Michael_D on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 am

This story made me very nervous, possibly more so than the black phone.
I hope the kid made it.
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Postby sybil on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:51 pm

LOL, lily
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:00 am

Well, my thoughts during this whole thing were:

Wyatt is going to get accused of this horrible crime. The mother did it, but every move she made, whether consciously or not, was setting Wyatt up to take the fall.
She got her children's blood all over him; she scratched his face; she forced him to hurt her when he punched her in the neck and in the face. She got him to dig in her purse and touch all the items; she got him to ultimately touch the murder weapon. He pulled strands of her hair out, so they would be on him.

The only thing that's going to save him is if Baxter lives and can remember.

Why was the cop pulled over to begin with? Was Mrs. Prezar in the car? Was he getting out of his cruiser as friend or foe to Wyatt? I'm not sure. And the baseball rundown was just a story within the story--seemingly not so significant. Near the end the rundown took on more importance because he was running for that little boy's life. And, maybe there was the ultimate rundown that we don't see. Maybe it would be Trent running him down as a murderer in the end.

Nice writing setting this all up to the final sentence.
Dana_Jean

Postby sybil on Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:50 pm

reading about the baseball rundown, i wondered why it was included. at the end, i figured it was a metaphor for the rock and hard place he found himself in at the end.

i think he'd take the fall for it, too.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:11 pm

exactly sybil.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Yep...I totally agree!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Depressing.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Samoa_Girl on Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:17 pm

After finally remembering the story...(my days are running together now) I totally agree with Dana Jean. Those were my thoughts exactly! As soon as Wyatt got the blood on him I knew he was doomed. I do agree with Meredith about the theme. No one in the story is who they seem, so that makes me wonder about Trent, was he a good cop?
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby grasking on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:40 am

sybil wrote:reading about the baseball rundown, i wondered why it was included. at the end, i figured it was a metaphor for the rock and hard place he found himself in at the end.

When I was a kid we use to play a game called pickle; same concept as a baseball rundown. I need to reread the story, but when you're in a rundown or a pickle, not only are you between a rock and a hard place; you're trying to get somewhere safe.
grasking

Postby grasking on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:53 am

sybil wrote:reading about the baseball rundown, i wondered why it was included. at the end, i figured it was a metaphor for the rock and hard place he found himself in at the end.

When I was a kid we use to play a game called pickle; same concept as a baseball rundown. I need to reread the story, but when you're in a rundown or a pickle, not only are you between a rock and a hard place; you're trying to get somewhere safe.
grasking

Next

Return to 20th Century Ghosts