MY FATHER'S MASK

Joe's first collection.

MY FATHER'S MASK

Postby Barry_Wood on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm three-quarters through My Father's Mask; I'm finding it extremely suspenseful and absolutely chilling. In a way it is almost freaking me out. So that's a good thing. Few stories have ever done that.
Barry_Wood

Re: MY FATHER'S MASK

Postby meridith on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:05 pm

Yes, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this.....it was definitly surreal. not sure how else to describe it. I think I need to re-read this one.

Barry Wood wrote:I'm three-quarters through My Father's Mask; I'm finding it extremely suspenseful and absolutely chilling. In a way it is almost freaking me out. So that's a good thing. Few stories have ever done that.
meridith

Postby Mephistopheles on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:06 pm

I kind've expected the card-people to be real but the scene with their reflection in the mirror was still pretty freaky. But I'm still not sure what the heck happened. :?
Mephistopheles

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:41 pm

This was by far the creepiest story in the book. I couldn't help but wonder if the entire story was some kind of metaphor....it seemed very personal to me and I can't wait to see what Joe's three are on this one!! And this IS a story that needs re-reading several times. It's so full...I'm not exactly sure why I use that word. It's like there is so much there to work through and each action, word, character or scene in the story seems important to solving the riddle.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby jodi on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm

I agree Betsy, I felt like there was so much going on in the story, in each scene, that I must be missing something. That one is one that I would like to read over again. I loved the story, very fantastical. (is that a word?)
I heart
jodi

Postby LauraK on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:29 am

Yep, I missed something with this one.

But I'm still not sure what the heck happened.

Ditto!

It had a feeling of disquiet...I need to reread it and see if I can gain a bit more.

(Dana? Are the stories in a different order in the new release than they are in the original? Because the story after "In The Rundown" in my book is "The Cape" and then 4 more before this one. Just curious...) :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:01 am

You're absolutely right LK...I guess someone jumped the gun on this one. In the new publication there are actually 5 stories after "In The Rundown" before "My Father's Mask" because Joe included "Bobby Conroy Comes Back From the Dead". We should hold off on this discussion, because Joe is going in order on his blog.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:40 am

I didn't start this thread, I think Barry was just anxious to see everyone's opinion on it. So, I will definitely get there when it's up.

Whenever anyone is ready to discuss the next story, I'll go with that one first. I think it is The Cape LK.

You guys can start the threads too, when you're ready.
Dana_Jean

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:42 am

Has Joe put up his three for IN THE RUNDOWN yet? I haven't been over there. I guess I'll go see.
Dana_Jean

Postby Barry_Wood on Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:06 pm

I finished My Father's Mask last night. You're correct, Dana. I got excited and just wanted to tell others I found the story chilling. Luckily, no one posted any spoilers in this thread.

Creepy, creepy story. The "stones" mention made me cringe. Enough said.
Barry_Wood

Postby sybil on Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:48 pm

i remember feeling very nervous, reading this. need to reread when we get there, tho.

the cape is my favorite of the book, i think!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby LauraK on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Sorry, Dana! I don't know why I thought you atrted this thread- my bad.

I knew The Cape was the next story...I said so but then said there were 4 more after it, lol. This is the thread for missing things, I guess! :D

Must be the holiday stress..... ;)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:11 am

My Father's Mask was an enigma to me. It seems like a very personal story, in that it could mean something different for everyone, depending on how you interpret it. I'd have to read it a few more times to dig out whatever meaning this story has just beneath the surface.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby grasking on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:21 pm

It reminds me of a Kelly Link story. I know Joe has read her stuff, so I'm wondering if this was done on purpose, done subconsciously, or if I'm just way off base.
grasking

Postby Michael_D on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:24 am

I had to watch a french surrealist movie in my Film History class, and it left me feeling the same way this story did. This is the only story in the book that I didn't like. It was like a bizzarre nightmare. I'm sure I'd like it more if I had any idea what it was about.
Ooops, I forgot to put down a signature.
Michael_D

Next

Return to 20th Century Ghosts