Pop Art

Joe's first collection.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:44 am

Well...I just checked on "The Yellow Wallpaper" and it sounds like it's right up my alley! I think my daughter would like it too, after taking her feminist philosopy class. Thanks for the heads up...it's going on my "to-read" list!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:27 pm

it does sound good. thanks all!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby roguejafo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:09 pm

LauraK wrote:
roguejafo wrote:You make a good point that we get what we get out of a story. I suppose I assume an author had something in mind, and I try to figure out what it may be. I can imagine him shaking his head at some of the stuff we come up with. :wink: But each of us has our own unique set of life experiences, and of course that will influence what we perceive in any art. Thus, we each glean a unique point of view...

gotta go

Exactly! I do that too but try not to let it mess with what I get from a story. You said it just right re: our own points of view. :)

LK

I didn't mean to leave the impression that I'm constantly searching for hidden clues or higher meanings or whatever... If I did that I couldn't enjoy a story. But I'll often think about these things once I've put the book down. In this case, (Pop Art - even the title seems to have multiple flavors) these ideas came as I was reading, unbidden. (Kinda distracting, in a way.) But I agree; I read the story for the story firstly; the story is what it's all about.

I'll probably post further comments on the other (pop) thread... See ya'll there. (Can't believe I said ya'll) (Well, didn't actually say it) (now I'm just wasting some server's memory) (gotta stop this) (I love parentheses)
roguejafo

Postby LauraK on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 pm

(Can't believe I said ya'll) (Well, didn't actually say it) (now I'm just wasting some server's memory) (gotta stop this) (I love parentheses)

Lol! :D ...and I love ellipsis...

LK :P

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:46 pm

Rogue...I think you are adorable. I love the way you turn a phrase!

Betsy_Boo

Postby roguejafo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Aww shucks :oops: you people are so nice... thanks.
roguejafo

Postby sybil on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:43 pm

ok, i'm re-re-reading this. this really struck me:
[talking about art] He was like a holy person in a Bible story, someone who can heal the ripped and infected parts of you with a laying-on of hands. You know how Bible stories go. That kind of person, they're never around long. Losers and jerks put nails in them and watch the air run out.

i don't know...that just seemed like such a great way to make the analogy.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby sybil on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:47 pm

so i just finished it again. still brought tears.

what an absolutely absurd idea - an inflatable person. how stupid. but with joe's words, it became utterly believable - i bought into it! - and touching. i don't think anyone else could have made it sound anything but laughable.

ran out of sky

*sigh*
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby LoganRaider on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:10 pm

Interesting that The Yellow Wallpaper was brought up. I have not read it, but my best friend is taking a literature class at OU, and he called me last week all excited about having read it. I need to check it out.
LoganRaider

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:43 pm

LoganRaider wrote:Interesting that The Yellow Wallpaper was brought up. I have not read it, but my best friend is taking a literature class at OU, and he called me last week all excited about having read it. I need to check it out.

Well, Logan...I ordered a copy and loved it. What I find so strange is that I majored in Lit. in college and never came across it. The first read through is definitely creepy. The second time through, I found myself profoundly grateful to be born in the 20th century!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Ryan on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:17 am

I just loved Pop Art. I thought it was a very, very clever way of telling a story about someone who isn't like everyone else, who can't do the same things as everyone else, yet is a person afterall (or in this case, an inflattable boy) and can make such an impact and be so rewarding by taking the time to know him. I think we've all came across people like this in our lives.
Ryan

Pop Art

Postby sueasinsue on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 am

I also loved Pop Art-very clever way of telling a story too! I didn't feel Art was imaginary or really inflatable, I think Art was like that kid everyone knew growing up who was sickly, fighting some horrible disease that he and his parents knew would eventually kill him. It moved me....
sueasinsue

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:49 pm

hello suesue - if i missed your welcoming thread, i'll welcome you here.

WELCOME!!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby frodolass on Thu May 15, 2008 1:01 am

Ryan wrote:I just loved Pop Art. I thought it was a very, very clever way of telling a story about someone who isn't like everyone else, who can't do the same things as everyone else, yet is a person afterall (or in this case, an inflattable boy) and can make such an impact and be so rewarding by taking the time to know him. I think we've all came across people like this in our lives.

This is kinda what I got from the story also. I guess having a kid with a disabilty helped me put my own "spin" on it, but so many of Art's experiences reminded me of my boy's struggles to fit in, to find friends. I've never posted on an author's website before, but this story touched me in a way that makes me want to talk about it.
frodolass

Postby Florida on Thu May 15, 2008 1:16 am

That's awesome, Frodo!
our love lives because i live.
Florida

PreviousNext

Return to 20th Century Ghosts