Pop Art

Joe's first collection.

Re: Pop Art

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:58 am

demorganakamark wrote:Ha......just point me in the right direction and ill buy it..

Me too!
That was funny LK! :lol:
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:18 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but I was checking the web for news about the film and saw where "Pop Art" won Best Narrative Short at the Austin Film Festival! How exciting, eh Joe? Maybe it's increasing popularity will make it more available...and maybe, just maybe it might be nominated for an Academy Award, as someone mentioned earlier!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Ms_Swan on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:54 am

Just wanted to post this picture of my nephew because it reminded me of this short story. Good memories...the picture was taken at our wedding shower.

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
Ms_Swan

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:02 am

Oh...that is adorable! Reminds me of the film "The Red Balloon", too!

BTW...speaking of "Pop Art"...my daughter who still works at B&N was talking to a customer about books and she told him that he really should give HSB a try. He said that he already had a couple of books going and didn't want to start another. She told him that she really thought he'd like Joe's work and that he should get a copy of 20thCG and read "Pop Art" while he was in the store. He came back to her later to tell her that "PA" convinced him to buy the book!

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:59 pm

Pictures of kids with balloons always make me think of Pennywise.....

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:03 am

"They FLOAT...they ALL float..."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:06 pm

"...down here...." :twisted:

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:54 am

Hey guys...I was looking on-line to see if there was any news about the "Pop Art" film and I found this. It's Amanda Boyle's website and it has some clips from her films:

http://www.amandaboylefilms.com/

I haven't gotten to watch the whole thing yet, but it looks really cool.

Betsy_Boo

Postby johnross on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:16 am

I just finished Pop Art and I loved it. What a beautiful story. I was reminded of A Prayer For Owen Meany. Both Art and Owen are oddities in their own lives and they see life through a that different eye. I believe Art is a very real person in the story not an imaginary friend. He has a wisdom that comes from being inflatable. He knows what will pop him and he understands how people see him and still he live his life with more dignity and compassion than the other characters. He gets that we are all kind of inflatable, different things pop us and we put different patches on to cover our holes. My favorite line is when Art says, "You get an astronaut's life whether you want it or not. Leave it all behind for a world you know nothing about. That's just the deal." I think it's interesting that after Art drifts away the boy realizes that he can be deflated as well and he gets beat up and doesn't carry his switchblade anymore, I know his father took it but I'm sure he could have gotten it back. I think he learned that love can pop you just as easily as a switchblade. But that in the end that's how we have an astronaut's life.

Great writing reveals to beauty and sacredness in life, Joe Hill did just that for me with Art.
johnross

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:59 pm

"I think he learned that love can pop you just as easily as a switchblade. But that in the end that's how we have an astronaut's life."

I'm sorry I am just now seeing this. "Love can pop you just as easily as a switchblade." God, that is sooo freaking true. I'm not a fan of love to be honest, although on the rare occasion that it comes along it does make me happy.

Speaking of "Pop Art" I am soooooooooooo excited that the "Pop Art" film will be showing here in Winston-Salem! Joe mentions it on his current blog post so if you're anywhere near any of the showings be sure to get your tickets early. I'm still in shock that I'm actually gonna get to see it! Somebody pinch me!!!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Michelle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:57 am

Spoilery, I suppose.

It made me cry, but it was pretty obvious that it would by the end of the first page.

I don't know if Art was literally an inflatable boy, a boy who was bullied, or all in the protagonist's head, and I don't think that matters. I imagined it literally, but I don't think it loses impact if taken the other possible ways.

I believe Mr. Hill was talking about someone who was too special to survive for long. Even an imaginary friend fits the bill. Some people just are not going to survive in a cynical world where people do not like differences -- who ostracize, vilify, and objectify people who are different. I don't think Art being Jewish was an accident.

There are people who live very meat and potatoes existences and have no need for anything that beautifies. I don't think the name Art was an accident either -- made clear in the passage where Happy's instinctual need to destroy Art is directly compared to a certain class of humans who, um, need to destroy art.

(I won't get into Pit Bulls being an unfairly maligned breed -- I accept it in the context of the story.)

That the protag suffers a lot of the same indignities as Art does not necessarily mean that there was no Art. What it meant to me was that he started out closer to the bullies and in the end had transformed into someone who allowed himself to be vulnerable, like Art was vulnerable. He became through his friendship and loss an "other."

Or, yeah, the whole thing about Art was always about him. :D :D :D
Michelle

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:56 am

That was really beautiful, Michelle. I do love to hear other folks ideas about stories...they always point out something that I missed. I didn't even think about Art's name having a deeper meaning, but it makes so much sense. And "Pop Art" does indeed show us that how we treat the most vulnerable among us is a testament to our character.

Everytime I read this story or even think about it I find myself again, in awe of Joe's talent.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 am

BTW, I'm going to see "Pop Art" tomorrow night! Really looking forward to it. I'll come back and give a review! :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Just got back from seeing "Pop Art" at the River Run Film Festival. Let me just say first that I am usually not happy with movie adaptations of stories I love, because they always have to leave something out. But I definitely recommend this one. Of course, it's not as good as Joe's story but I think Ms. Boyle captured the bitter-sweet tone quite well. The main difference (other than the things she left out) was that it takes place in the UK. That in itself gives it a different flavor. The rest of the audience seemed to enjoy it as much as I did, laughing at all the funny bits. And they showed it with several other short films that were good, but mostly very sad and depressing. (The theme of the night was "Growing Pains".) That made "Pop Art" stand out all the more. Even though PA is a bit sad at the end, it is also very uplifting and I'd be willing to bet that the other folks that saw it won't forget it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby supersam on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi everyone!

I´m selling a rare copy of this fantastic novel,Pop art.
Here is the link to my Ebay auction,with free shipping, feel free to bid :wink: :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300391900122&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
Last edited by supersam on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supersam

PreviousNext

Return to 20th Century Ghosts