Pop Art

Joe's first collection.

Pop Art

Postby Florida on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:58 am

I just got done reading "20th Century Ghosts".
After I read "Pop Art" I had my 11 year old son read it. He loved it. He cried. I'd never seen him get so emotional before.
I just wanted to thank Joe for a great book of stories that I can share with my son.
Not many writers have the ability to cause an 11 year old, World of Warcraft playing, all black wearing kid such a reaction. Then again, he IS a huge fan of Morrissey. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby supreme on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:33 pm

I loved this story....it made me chuckle a lot....pop art! lol :lol:
I guess art must have been an imaginary friend...one he thought
up into existance again as a girlfriend later on....after arts death??
:)
supreme

Postby Florida on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:05 am

I don't think he was imaginary.
I do thinkArt was a kind of metaphor for those people you meet in your life that make a great impact on you and how rare those people are.
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Re: Pop Art

Postby meridith on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:13 am

I love Morrissey! Sounds like you have a cool kid there : )

Florida wrote:I just got done reading "20th Century Ghosts".
After I read "Pop Art" I had my 11 year old son read it. He loved it. He cried. I'd never seen him get so emotional before.
I just wanted to thank Joe for a great book of stories that I can share with my son.
Not many writers have the ability to cause an 11 year old, World of Warcraft playing, all black wearing kid such a reaction. Then again, he IS a huge fan of Morrissey. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.
meridith

Postby meridith on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:14 am

I saw Art as a way that the main character dealt with things that happened to him, and to deal with life in general..Art was his way of connecting with the world and dealing with life....

now the girlfriend brought the imaginary friend thing to a whole notha' level....

supreme wrote:I loved this story....it made me chuckle a lot....pop art! lol :lol:
meridith

Postby meridith on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:16 am

also, did you notice that a lot of the things that happened to Art happened to the main character as well? either before or after they happened to art (i read it awhile ago.) like being beat up, written on, etc. I thought it was interesting he had to let Art go after his surrogate family moved away...it was his way of leaving that life behind.

supreme wrote:I loved this story....it made me chuckle a lot....pop art! lol :lol:
meridith

Postby roguejafo on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Hey folks. I know I'm late to the party, but I've just read Pop Art... I was kinda blown away by it, in many different directions, all of them competing for my attention.

I'm still not sure what to think: if Art is imaginary or if there are inflatable people in that, uh, reality... (notice the two inflatables we meet are Jewish? Wonder why...) For much of the story it did seem to me that Art was an imaginary personality, attached to a real inflatable doll or something; I kept thinking of Calvin & Hobbes (I LOVE C&H); but there were instances that confused me, involving other people who interacted with Art in ways that only the person imagining should be able to. Does that make sense? Sorry, kinda thinkin' out loud here... in, um, writing... never mind.

I'm seeing Art (Arthur) as a metaphor for art (not Arthur). I have this budding idea, which refuses to come clear, about art for art's sake, using imagination and following dreams regardless of popularity (pop art). "True" art, however that's defined, I suppose, would have to be done that way, "true" to the artist's vision, as opposed to mass-produced, throng-pleasing commercial recipes to make the masses happy. Happy, in the story, and creatures like it, "desire a world with no Art in it..." So now I'm thinking about happiness, how it tends to depend more on security, material success than dreams fulfilled...

Sorry, that particular train of thought is on a foggy mountain right now;

I've lots more wierdness goin' round in the noggin, but I can't seem to lay a hand on any one thought. But I love this story. It evoked so many emotions, many different trains of thought. If I make any more sense out of the mess in my head, I'll check back in.

Would like to hear what you think. There is the possibility I'm "imagining" all this... :?
roguejafo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:43 am

Hi rogue...I've already posted my thoughts on the "Spoilers-Pop Art" thread, but I did want to say here that I love it when someone reads a story and can get so much out of it. You've put a lot of thought into this. And I don't think there is any "right or wrong" here...you get what you get out of a story. I find your thoughts about this story very interesting...things that hadn't occurred to me. If you want to read some other folks views you might want to take a look at that other thread.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby roguejafo on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 pm

OK BB thanks, don't know how I didn't see that thread; I did look...

You make a good point that we get what we get out of a story. I suppose I assume an author had something in mind, and I try to figure out what it may be. I can imagine him shaking his head at some of the stuff we come up with. :wink: But each of us has our own unique set of life experiences, and of course that will influence what we perceive in any art. Thus, we each glean a unique point of view...

gotta go
roguejafo

Postby LauraK on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 pm

roguejafo wrote:OK BB thanks, don't know how I didn't see that thread; I did look...

You make a good point that we get what we get out of a story. I suppose I assume an author had something in mind, and I try to figure out what it may be. I can imagine him shaking his head at some of the stuff we come up with. :wink: But each of us has our own unique set of life experiences, and of course that will influence what we perceive in any art. Thus, we each glean a unique point of view...

gotta go

Exactly! I do that too but try not to let it mess with what I get from a story. You said it just right re: our own points of view. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

pop art

Postby barkingsquirrel on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:16 am

for me this short story had the impact of the lottery, yellow wallpaper, incident at owl creek bridge... classics with lasting thought clutching power and beauty that you never lose, but a classic you recognize and love at first sight
barkingsquirrel

Re: pop art

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:48 am

barkingsquirrel wrote:for me this short story had the impact of the lottery, yellow wallpaper, incident at owl creek bridge... classics with lasting thought clutching power and beauty that you never lose, but a classic you recognize and love at first sight

I totally agree barkingsquirrel..."Pop Art" is an instant classic. Like a perfect cut jewel. It was "love at first sight" for me, too.

BTW, "barkingsquirrel"? I'm curious how you came up with that name?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 am

PS...I haven't heard of "Yellow Wallpaper"...who wrote that?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:19 am

Betsy Boo wrote:PS...I haven't heard of "Yellow Wallpaper"...who wrote that?

It was written by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, and it's an interesting read for sure.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks Shane...I'll check her out! :D

Betsy_Boo

Next

Return to 20th Century Ghosts