SPOILERS -- ABRAHAM'S BOYS

Joe's first collection.

Postby meridith on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:26 pm

this reminded me a little of the movie Frailty (Bill Paxton, Matthew McConaughey), which is loosely based on a true story of a serial killer who believed he thought he was doing Gods work by killing people whom he thought had demons in them. He also trained his 2 sons to do the same, but one did not believe him or want to do it, and the other did.

I have recently been watching Most Evil , a documentary series on one of the Discovery channels on Serial killers, and there was in fact a very similar serial killer who was having delusions that people had demons in them and killed them with his son....

so anyway, cool story!

[/url]
Last edited by meridith on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meridith

Postby meridith on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:27 pm

oh yeah....and for those interested in the movie if the son(s) went on to kill, I wont spoil it for you, go rent the movie : ) It might add to the imagination of what Max might have done......
meridith

Postby Mephistopheles on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:14 pm

As a big fan of the original novel by Stoker, I wasn't too crazy about how Van Helsing was 'demonized' and made into a crazy, abusive murderer. As a story by itself it was very chilling, and I found the 'boys' to be sympathetic and ointeresting, but since Hill is continuing from another story, I'm going to judge it in how it relates to the original work.

I read how Hill attempted to make it as close to the character as possible but I didn't feel it. It felt like an entirely different character/ If anyone's read Fables from Vertigo, I pictured Van Helsing to look like Gepetto in my mind.

It kind've reminded me of another 'sequel' to Dracula which had Mina portrayed as betraying her friends and family, having an affair with Dracula and siring his child. It just goes against everything the characters did in the novel.

But that was my only real complaint with the entire collection, all the other ones I loved.
Mephistopheles

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:15 am

Abraham's Boys is an absolutely genius concept, and I think it was executed just right. Definitely of of the creepiest stories in the book.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby KingoftheHill on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:14 pm

Wow! What a fun story!!! I think the dad was just phsycotic (sp) and never dealt with or killed a vampire in his life. But Joe still have me believing that they exist!

The writing was awesome. The scene in the study with the two boys was riveting and some of the best writing thus far.

Okay, I KNOW I'm just picking up on stuff, but this line will stick with me for a long time.:

He saw now that he had always had it in him: his father's brusque willingness to puncture flesh and toil in blood.

Sort of (in my mind) a true-to-life father/son realization maybe?

I really enjoyed this story--beginning to end.

Thanks, Joe!

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts