The Cape--SPOILERS

Joe's first collection.

Postby sybil on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:08 pm

wow, supey-dupe...i didn't think that far ahead. you'd be right, tho!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby NewOrderFan on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:45 pm

supreme wrote:as soon as eric flew out his ex's window with her sitting on his
lap, i knew he was going to let her fall! I just knew it lol, eric was
a little psychopath i thought....even before falling out of the tree.
Great story....very interesting!
:D

Eric is a great psychopath. I really like that Joe gives us the POV of the psychopaths in so many stories and makes them so complex. A lot of writers make those types of characters black and white but that definitely was not the case here.
NewOrderFan

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:36 am

I really though this was a boring story. The beginning was great--the ending was even better! lol!

In the middle, I found myself bored. The only salvation was the references to The Lord of the Flies, a book I read after seeing it mentioned in a Stephen King book and then in a Richard Laymon book. I knew I had to read it!

Aside from that, "floating 101" was way too long.

After reading all your thoughts, I hope to read it a second time through and get much more from it.

As always, I still say Congrats to Joe!!!

:0

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Postby Snooky on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:06 pm

Overall, I liked it okay. I did laugh when Nick tried the cape and busted his butt. Especially when Eric thinks it's a big treat that they were able to be in the same hospital room together. It was a suprise when Eric dropped Angie, but I did snort a laugh then too.

Eric seems to be the classic slacker. I really felt bad for Nick though. First, he tries cape and messes his face up, gets false teeth & all. Then Eric steals his after school date, Angie, who becomes his live-in lover. No wonder the poor guy couldn't wait to make something of himself so he could get away.

It never occurred to me that Nick & Angie were having an affair but it's obvious that she was seeing someone. I also got the feeling that his intentions were good (to woo her back with his super power) but once he heard her talking on the phone with the mystery person, that was it. Got her out the window just to drop her. Talk about revenge!
~If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a terrible warning.~
Snooky

the cape

Postby yaadie on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:21 pm

I am new to this forum and have just discovered who Joe Hill was. I must confess, I only read him because of who is father is...his book and stories are quite an interesting read, but I was disappointed in his facts. In the story "the Cape" it mentions Angie wearing the colors of the Jamaican flag and they are listed as red green and gold, however those are not the colors of the Jamaican flag. those are the rastafarian colors of the Haile Selasse flag. The Jamaican flag colors are green black and yellow, and As a proud Jamaican I was offended in the lack of research...As a writer myself, I know that you should always check something so simple for clarification...usually that is where you slip up...
---sorry for my rant---but I was offended!!
yaadie

Postby LauraK on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Wow. I'm sure Joe wasn't looking to offend anyone.

Um.....welcome to the board.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Yaadie...I'm sure it was an honest mistake. No need to take offense. I'm sure that all writers slip up a bit at one time or another and I'm sure it was unintentional. Joe is a really good writer...what did you think of HSB?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Wed May 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Somehow I skipped "The Cape" :shock: My husband had it on audio and said he liked it. So I was tapping my head, Cape...Cape...The Cape...sure enough, I didn't read it!
I loved it, LOL!

I was pretty certain it was Nick Angie was speaking to on the phone...which would explain to me why he wanted to "Fly Down" to Boston and let Nick try the cape again, tee hee. I was suprised Eric let her go, but I LOVED it. I liked that he turned out to be the bad guy. (In the begining I was all pissy w/Nick for not playing "super-heros" w/ his little brother.
This_Girl

Postby Carrie on Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 am

Yaadie, technically the NARRATOR is the one who said the hat had the same colors as the flag, and I think we're all in agreement that the narrator is not terribly well-educated and, oh yeah, EVIL! I hope you enjoy the rest of Joe Hill's work...

I loved this story. I didn't find it funny, I found it dark, but still very believeable. It reminded me a little bit of M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable ("Now that we know what you are, I know what I am" compared with "he always made me be the bad guy. Someone has to be.") ...but better.
Carrie

Re: The Cape--SPOILERS

Postby TheFraserClan on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Read this for the first time last night. enjoyed it for the surprises and quality character building that was accomplished in a short time. One question i has was did Eric"s brother know he was flying again when he asked him to fly up to Boston? Not sure if that was tounge in cheek or simply clever writing
TheFraserClan

Re: the cape

Postby TheFraserClan on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:43 pm

Sorry you were offended. I would chalk it up to the narrator who admittedly was not that sharp assuming those were the proud colors your country.

yaadie wrote:I am new to this forum and have just discovered who Joe Hill was. I must confess, I only read him because of who is father is...his book and stories are quite an interesting read, but I was disappointed in his facts. In the story "the Cape" it mentions Angie wearing the colors of the Jamaican flag and they are listed as red green and gold, however those are not the colors of the Jamaican flag. those are the rastafarian colors of the Haile Selasse flag. The Jamaican flag colors are green black and yellow, and As a proud Jamaican I was offended in the lack of research...As a writer myself, I know that you should always check something so simple for clarification...usually that is where you slip up...
---sorry for my rant---but I was offended!!
TheFraserClan

Postby Merrin on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:42 am

This i think could be my favourite story of the book, just becuse its the one that sticks in my head the most! The shock of the ending i really didn't see coming, i spose that just shows how good Joe's style of writing is the allow such suprises!

Can't wait to read it again!!!
Merrin

Postby Romeo_Haight on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:39 pm

i loved all of the stories in 20th century ghosts but this is the one that made me gasp. i was not expecting the turn at the end and that's what made it enjoyable. i'm not easily surprised and this story surprised me. i came home from work and made my wife read it. i try to make everyone i know read all of mr hill's books.
all my friends are lazy morons who don't read.
wack.
we're from america. we're from america. we turn literature into litter.
we're from america. we're from america. we believe in being a quitter.

Romeo_Haight

Previous

Return to 20th Century Ghosts