THE WIDOW'S BREAKFAST---SPOILERS!

Joe's first collection.

THE WIDOW'S BREAKFAST---SPOILERS!

Postby miamiheat on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:18 am

All I can say is that if anyone thinks Joe Hill can't write anything other than 'horror,' read this!!! Truly a well-written and touching story.
miamiheat

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 am

I have to admit that I liked this better the second time I read it. The first time I kept expecting something evil to happen and was way too anxious. That was my fault, Joe. And yes...this does show that Joe can write other things...and do them well. This story invoked the essence of a simpler time...a time when even though things were tough for almost everybody, most people still had compassion for those down on their luck. It was truly a beautiful story. And I think Joe really captured a child's view of death and finding ways to deal with it. The girls' game might seem a bit creepy to an adult, but children do this sort of thing. It helps them to process it and I really think Joe nailed it here.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Mr._Hex on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:46 pm

I thought it was all right, nothing spectacular.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

Postby LauraK on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:30 pm

This is the one that felt most out of place to me. I can't say why exactly, it's just my feeling.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby etwasinspired on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:19 am

I thought this story was great. Subtle and thoughtful, but yes in the collection you sort of expected something to pop out at you, or for him to be transformed, or something else unexpected.

I've been reading The Grapes of Wrath so I suppose I related to the setting quite a bit. The last line of the story just killed me.
etwasinspired

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:51 am

etwasinspired wrote:I thought this story was great. Subtle and thoughtful, but yes in the collection you sort of expected something to pop out at you, or for him to be transformed, or something else unexpected.

I've been reading The Grapes of Wrath so I suppose I related to the setting quite a bit. The last line of the story just killed me.

Sorry about that Grapes of Wrath choice. Don't get me started on it.

Well, the fact that Gage was literally murdered and his friend never went to the police bothered me. The fact that the little boy wanted to blow him for money bothered me. And then we get to the widow's house.

Now see, I was thinking that the widow and the kids were ghosts at one point. Maybe just the widow. For some reason, I just had a feeling that she was one of them who had jumped off the train and died. And I couldn't shake that feeling the whole story even though she was so there.

Also, I was wondering where dad was? I mean, I know he was dead and all, but it seemed very odd that the widow kept disappearing and showing up with these nice clothes for him to put on. And then when he went outside to the girls and they said he looked the dead man part, I was wondering if these were the clothes that they had on the father when he died? I don't know. Something about that was creepy, as if the widow had gone and stripped the dead husband of his clothes to give to the vagrant.

I think there was more to this one.
Dana_Jean

Postby supreme on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Came in here to see what others got from the end of this
story....as to the above post....I dont think the transients of those
days nomally ran to the police....and i dont think they would have
been believed at all....or bothered with....if anything they would
have been thrown in jail for it.......the end of the story had me
thinking tho.....were the girls just playing funeral day for their father???
supreme

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Ah!! I see you found the story discussions.
Yes, I think the girls were playing "funeral"...as I mentioned above kids have their own way of dealing with the hard stuff of life.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby meridith on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:03 pm

This story was so sad. in regards to going to the police, transients, especially back then (but now as well) have been seen as "less than human" by society. He probably figured nothing would have been done.

the ended was really freaky with the two girls.....I pictured them looking like ghosts.....
meridith

Postby supreme on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:46 am

Betsy Boo wrote:Ah!! I see you found the story discussions.
Yes, I think the girls were playing "funeral"...as I mentioned above kids have their own way of dealing with the hard stuff of life.

i will be back tomorrow to talk about the other stories....i have to
also find out whats next for Joe Hill!!
:D
supreme

Return to 20th Century Ghosts