Changes with the board

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

Re: Changes with the board

Postby Shane on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:49 am

nawa-ami wrote:Hi Shane,

Is the PM system working? I sent you a PM a couple of weeks back in response to a question you had, but I haven't heard anything back. And I sent one to Joe, but it shows up as stuck in the Outbox rather moving into the Sent box.

I was able to send a PM to myself--as a test--but that's no fun. :?

Hmm. I don't remember seeing it, but let's try it again. I'll send you one just in case.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby nawa-ami on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks. I got your message today, and sent a reply, but I notice that m new reply went into the Outbox rather than Sent. Is that the way it's meant to work? (Can you read if it's in my Outbox?)
nawa-ami

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:13 pm

nawa-ami wrote:Thanks. I got your message today, and sent a reply, but I notice that m new reply went into the Outbox rather than Sent. Is that the way it's meant to work? (Can you read if it's in my Outbox?)

I think Shane mentioned earlier that it stays in your outbox until the receiver reads it. Then it goes to the sent box. That way you know if the person has read it. Shane explained it better. :?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:
nawa-ami wrote:Thanks. I got your message today, and sent a reply, but I notice that m new reply went into the Outbox rather than Sent. Is that the way it's meant to work? (Can you read if it's in my Outbox?)

I think Shane mentioned earlier that it stays in your outbox until the receiver reads it. Then it goes to the sent box. That way you know if the person has read it. Shane explained it better. :?

Yes, that's what I gathered from it before.
This_Girl

Postby nawa-ami on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explantion.
nawa-ami

Postby Wilson_Cruz on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:32 am

Hello, Shane.
I Wanted to do a question:
Does Joe Hill accept ideas for books or short histories?
It is that I wanted to do a novella or short history with him on a specific topic of terror. Do you believe that Joe will accept me? Thanks, Shane.
Regards from Spain.
Wilson
Wilson_Cruz

Postby Shane on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi, Wilson.

I saw your question in the other thread and I answered it there. You can see the reply by following this link, so you don't have to go hunting for it.

http://joehillfiction.informe.com/forum/post30370.html#p30370
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Rlobsterman on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:53 am

Shane wrote:Hi, all.

The message board has gone through some changes, as most everyone knows. Ten days ago, people were having trouble getting here, and it's because of a bunch of stuff going on over at our host's place, Informe. I got in touch with some people there, and asked if they could get us back online again, and they did just that within 20 minutes of receiving my email. In doing so, an upgrade was made to the site accidentally. Without going too deeply into it -- I was using a version of their program in stage 2, while most everyone had upgraded into a 3rd stage that Informe is using exclusively at this point. I asked them if it was possible to give us back the previous version of the message board, and I was regrettably told that it wasn't possible.

I immediately tried to get things looking as aesthetically pleasing as possible here, all the while going for a similar look to our old place. Anyone that popped in 10 days ago when the change was initially made, probably burned some portion of their retinas out looking at the color-train wreck of the board, and knows full well what I'm referring to. But, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their patience in getting things somewhat-normal once again, and for your help, hints, and suggestions over the last many days, too. 'Appreciate it! :)

Clearly, it's a little different here now. But, the things you used to be able to do on the old board, you can still do here... it just might not be in the same place, is all. There are new things here, too. And, that's really what I meant to bring attention to in writing this, though my fingers have digressed a bit.

The banner looks different, and isn't a link back to joehilllfiction.com (at this point). I know some of you have mentioned liking this version, others miss the old, there's probably people in the middle, too. I've not settled on the one above, so there's the possibility old friends floating in the skyline will reappear at some point, perhaps.

Just below the banner is a couple of rows of options. First up, is a pair of links to "Portal" and "Forum". Forum is the place you're most familiar with, obviously. If you click on "Portal" you'll be taken to a mini-control panel of sorts. There are some additional windows I might add to the page, but here you're able to see some stats on the board, who's online, who's recently signed up, things like that. Clicking on the "Forum" link at the top will bring you back to... the forum! Lastly, over along the far right side of that row is a capital "A" with two arrows on either side of it. Should anyone choose to do so, you may increase/decrease the font size of the board with this option.

The next row has some new stuff. Going into the User Control Panel will allow you set up certain preferences for your account and viewing here. To the right of that is a parenthetical notice of your inbox, and if you have any messages. I would ask that people pay attention to this number. Perhaps, since it's in a new location on the screen, it's not something you're used to seeing just yet... but, I've sent some messages out to some of you, and they've not been read, but those people have made new posts. Please, keep an eye on your message center... thanks!!

Moving along the row to the right -- Tags aren't really being too used at this point, but might be later. The FAQ listed next is from Informe and not the one I've written in regards to Joe, the sites, and my rules/requests for being here. My FAQ can be found at the top of the Come On In And Say Hello thread, or click here: http://joehillfiction.informe.com/forum/come-on-in-and-say-hello-f1/faq-rules-t317.html

After the FAQ, you will see that we now have a chat room here at the message board. It's a very rudimentary one, but it's there nonetheless. You should know that whatever you post in there will be logged and remain there, unless I clear the contents... which, barring very specific circumstances, I don't see myself doing.

Below that row is the date and the time of your last logged-in visit, in addition to the current date/time. Below that are 4 more options -- three on the left, one flush to the right. The option to the far right, Mark Forums Read, is one I'd not push. It'll clear out the indication of any unread topics and threads, so you might miss messages in pressing this. The options to the left are as they suggest, quite simply. I would think a favorite of them would be the middle one: View New Posts.
----------------------------------------------

Alright, I know this was kind of a long-winded read, but it goes through some of the features/explanations that I've been getting asked through messages, emails, and posts. I might be adding to this along the way, who knows.

Two more quick things: one about the icons, and the last bit about editing your posts.

The key to the icons being used on the forum currently go as follows:
==========
The Forums:
- The forum icons that are blue means there are no new posts inside.
- The forum icons that are reddish means there are new posts made to that forum

The Threads:
- Icons with stars on them are considered "Hot Topics" or ones that are receiving more discussion than the other threads.
- Icons with orange dots in the corner were supposed to symbolize a topic that you would have created yourself, but there is something wrong with this in the system, as it's not always following that notion.
- Icons that are plain looking are simply topics that have been posted, and may, or may not, have replies.
- Icons with a lock means that I've locked the topic down, and nothing new can be added to it.
- Icons with an arrow pointing upward means that topic is a Sticky topic, and will remain at the top of the page.
- Icons that look like comic book word balloons are Announcements - they too will remain at the top of the page.
==========

Editing Posts:
I lifted the ban on editing posts before the new board was implemented. I did it in the beginning of June, when people were continually remarking about their not being able to go back and correct their submissions. Almost immediately, there was a situation where I regretted resetting it.

There are more options available to me here on the board, so I'm going to compromise with you all. Since I sympathize with your wanting to go back and correct any typos you might have made (even though Previewing them will show them to you! *cough cough*), I've set it up so that you can now edit your posts. The catch is, that you've got three minutes from the time you've submitted it to go back in and change what you feel you need to. After that time period passes, you'll see this:
"You can no longer edit or delete that post."

Alright... sorry this got so long, but I hope that it helps somewhat. Glad to see everyone still around!

-Shane

Thanks again Shane.[/quote] I'm very new here and to forum chatting if thats what it's called. I wish you well in all that you're doing
KB renegade lobsterman
Rlobsterman

Postby Patrick on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:58 am

Looks good, Shane!
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby sybil on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:27 pm

hi shane,

i've been gone a good while - i can only get here during work hours, and it has been a LOT busier.

the HORNS thread says that i don't have the proper permissions to browse or post there. is there something i need to do?

thanks,
janis/sybil
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby sybil on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:31 pm

WHOOPS! i just noticed the lock on that forum. NM. SORRY!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Patrick on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi, I notice that there are threads and postings in the HORNS forum now, and I don't see the lock icon anymore. However I cannot access the forum.

Is it still locked?

Thanks.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Shane on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:44 pm

You shouldn't have any trouble getting in there now, Patrick. If you are, then let me know. As a rule, members who are signed in and not just viewing the board as a guest can see everything. It should be alright at this point, though.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby James on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Shane:

Help, I'm logged in and don't have permission into HORNS.
It's not locked, but I still can't get in. I'm signed in...not as a guest.

-James Ashley
James

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:03 pm

James wrote:Shane:

Help, I'm logged in and don't have permission into HORNS.
It's not locked, but I still can't get in. I'm signed in...not as a guest.

-James Ashley

same here lol
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

PreviousNext

Return to Come on in and say Hello