Changes with the board

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

Changes with the board

Postby Shane on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:36 am

Hi, all.

The message board has gone through some changes, as most everyone knows. Ten days ago, people were having trouble getting here, and it's because of a bunch of stuff going on over at our host's place, Informe. I got in touch with some people there, and asked if they could get us back online again, and they did just that within 20 minutes of receiving my email. In doing so, an upgrade was made to the site accidentally. Without going too deeply into it -- I was using a version of their program in stage 2, while most everyone had upgraded into a 3rd stage that Informe is using exclusively at this point. I asked them if it was possible to give us back the previous version of the message board, and I was regrettably told that it wasn't possible.

I immediately tried to get things looking as aesthetically pleasing as possible here, all the while going for a similar look to our old place. Anyone that popped in 10 days ago when the change was initially made, probably burned some portion of their retinas out looking at the color-train wreck of the board, and knows full well what I'm referring to. But, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their patience in getting things somewhat-normal once again, and for your help, hints, and suggestions over the last many days, too. 'Appreciate it! :)

Clearly, it's a little different here now. But, the things you used to be able to do on the old board, you can still do here... it just might not be in the same place, is all. There are new things here, too. And, that's really what I meant to bring attention to in writing this, though my fingers have digressed a bit.

The banner looks different, and isn't a link back to joehilllfiction.com (at this point). I know some of you have mentioned liking this version, others miss the old, there's probably people in the middle, too. I've not settled on the one above, so there's the possibility old friends floating in the skyline will reappear at some point, perhaps.

Just below the banner is a couple of rows of options. First up, is a pair of links to "Portal" and "Forum". Forum is the place you're most familiar with, obviously. If you click on "Portal" you'll be taken to a mini-control panel of sorts. There are some additional windows I might add to the page, but here you're able to see some stats on the board, who's online, who's recently signed up, things like that. Clicking on the "Forum" link at the top will bring you back to... the forum! Lastly, over along the far right side of that row is a capital "A" with two arrows on either side of it. Should anyone choose to do so, you may increase/decrease the font size of the board with this option.

The next row has some new stuff. Going into the User Control Panel will allow you set up certain preferences for your account and viewing here. To the right of that is a parenthetical notice of your inbox, and if you have any messages. I would ask that people pay attention to this number. Perhaps, since it's in a new location on the screen, it's not something you're used to seeing just yet... but, I've sent some messages out to some of you, and they've not been read, but those people have made new posts. Please, keep an eye on your message center... thanks!!

Moving along the row to the right -- Tags aren't really being too used at this point, but might be later. The FAQ listed next is from Informe and not the one I've written in regards to Joe, the sites, and my rules/requests for being here. My FAQ can be found at the top of the Come On In And Say Hello thread, or click here: http://joehillfiction.informe.com/forum/come-on-in-and-say-hello-f1/faq-rules-t317.html

After the FAQ, you will see that we now have a chat room here at the message board. It's a very rudimentary one, but it's there nonetheless. You should know that whatever you post in there will be logged and remain there, unless I clear the contents... which, barring very specific circumstances, I don't see myself doing.

Below that row is the date and the time of your last logged-in visit, in addition to the current date/time. Below that are 4 more options -- three on the left, one flush to the right. The option to the far right, Mark Forums Read, is one I'd not push. It'll clear out the indication of any unread topics and threads, so you might miss messages in pressing this. The options to the left are as they suggest, quite simply. I would think a favorite of them would be the middle one: View New Posts.
----------------------------------------------

Alright, I know this was kind of a long-winded read, but it goes through some of the features/explanations that I've been getting asked through messages, emails, and posts. I might be adding to this along the way, who knows.

Two more quick things: one about the icons, and the last bit about editing your posts.

The key to the icons being used on the forum currently go as follows:
==========
The Forums:
- The forum icons that are blue means there are no new posts inside.
- The forum icons that are reddish means there are new posts made to that forum

The Threads:
- Icons with stars on them are considered "Hot Topics" or ones that are receiving more discussion than the other threads.
- Icons with orange dots in the corner were supposed to symbolize a topic that you would have created yourself, but there is something wrong with this in the system, as it's not always following that notion.
- Icons that are plain looking are simply topics that have been posted, and may, or may not, have replies.
- Icons with a lock means that I've locked the topic down, and nothing new can be added to it.
- Icons with an arrow pointing upward means that topic is a Sticky topic, and will remain at the top of the page.
- Icons that look like comic book word balloons are Announcements - they too will remain at the top of the page.
==========

Editing Posts:
I lifted the ban on editing posts before the new board was implemented. I did it in the beginning of June, when people were continually remarking about their not being able to go back and correct their submissions. Almost immediately, there was a situation where I regretted resetting it.

There are more options available to me here on the board, so I'm going to compromise with you all. Since I sympathize with your wanting to go back and correct any typos you might have made (even though Previewing them will show them to you! *cough cough*), I've set it up so that you can now edit your posts. The catch is, that you've got three minutes from the time you've submitted it to go back in and change what you feel you need to. After that time period passes, you'll see this:
"You can no longer edit or delete that post."

Alright... sorry this got so long, but I hope that it helps somewhat. Glad to see everyone still around!

-Shane
Shane
Site Admin

Re: The New & Old

Postby Barry_Wood on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:45 am

Thank you for the information and updates, Shane. You're the man.
Barry_Wood

Re: Changes with the board

Postby Florida on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks, Shane.
The only problem I'm having is not getting email updates on posts. But I can just check back to the board to see if there are any new posts, so no big deal. Thanks for being so patient with us, Shane. I'm sure we annoy the hell out of you but you never let it show! :)
The board looks great and it really doesn't look all that different. I hope you and Joe know how much we appreciate this place for us to 'hang out' and how much attention you pay us. We know you don't have to be so nice to us and we are more than thankful.
our love lives because i live.
Florida

Postby Shane on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:09 am

Barry_Wood wrote:Thank you for the information and updates, Shane. You're the man.

Thanks, Barry. I do what I can! :D

Florida wrote:The only problem I'm having is not getting email updates on posts. But I can just check back to the board to see if there are any new posts, so no big deal. Thanks for being so patient with us, Shane. I'm sure we annoy the hell out of you but you never let it show! :)
The board looks great and it really doesn't look all that different. I hope you and Joe know how much we appreciate this place for us to 'hang out' and how much attention you pay us. We know you don't have to be so nice to us and we are more than thankful.

Florida -- there is the very real possibility that the time it takes for the program to run itself in regards to notifying, via email, people when there are updates to things in here, runs at a rate that makes for timely notice to be unreliable. I know that goes against the very nature of what it's offering to do, of course, but when I experimented with it a while ago, I was finding that I was getting notice of things, loooong after I'd already come in and see it for myself. One would think that it would be a near-immediate function, but for whatever reason, it's clearly not. Sorry about that. If there was anything I could do to make it more effective, I surely would, but that kind of thing is out of my control.

Thanks for the kind words, too!
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Jane on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:12 am

<cue headbanging music> SHANE ROX! SHANE ROX! 8)
"Every day takes figurin' out all over again, how to fuckin live" - Calamity Jane, Deadwood
Jane

Postby This_Girl on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:36 pm

All good to know, thanks!
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks Shane...this would make a good sticky.

Yeah...as far as getting the email notices...I mentioned that before. I don't get them anymore either, but decided not to worry about it since I'm here so much.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:48 pm

BTW...will we be able to access the blog from here at some point?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby jodi on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:47 pm

I have a question...

Is there anyway that when you click on a link in a post that it could open up in a new window? I don't know if it matters that much to anyone else...I'm kind of ADD and get click happy and never get back to what I was originally looking at, and if it's in a new window I might realize that there's another one over there and, well...you get what I mean? :)
I heart
jodi

Postby meridith on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:24 pm

If one of the criteria for ADD is being click happy, than I am definitely ADD!

Does having 6-9 different browser tabs open, music running, myspace IM, email open (possibly more than one program for my email), and then being mad because the computer froze and couldn't handle my SIMPLE multi-tasking count as being ADD? LOL

jodi wrote:I have a question...

Is there anyway that when you click on a link in a post that it could open up in a new window? I don't know if it matters that much to anyone else...I'm kind of ADD and get click happy and never get back to what I was originally looking at, and if it's in a new window I might realize that there's another one over there and, well...you get what I mean? :)
meridith

Postby val04463 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:24 pm

You can set that yourself. If you are using Internet Explorer go up to "Tools"..then in drop down menu chose Internet Options .
It opens a menu and the General tab should be there.. Look down to "Tabs" and click on settings,

At the bottom you can check the option for "Open in new windwow"
val04463

Postby jodi on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 pm

Nope, that doesn't work for me for some reason. I know that some websites/boards do it automatically...this one never has...at least not for me.
I heart
jodi

Postby Shane on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:57 pm

jodi wrote:I have a question...Is there anyway that when you click on a link in a post that it could open up in a new window?

Actually, I'm the same way, Jodi. I know some people love tabbed-browsing, or they never have more than one or two windows open at a time, but not me. I always have everything open up in a new window, so I know how you feel.

The thing is, it's usually either a preference that's set on the coding of the webpage itself (like either Joe or I do on the main site, causing links to open in a separate window), or it's a function that is set as a universal rule with a program. The board here doesn't have a setting like that to make links open in new windows (at least, not one I've found yet, but I'll look for it later tonight). So, I'm just used to holding the -button (or, Command button if you're on a non-Mac computer) when I click on a link, because that makes the browser open the new page in a separate window. You should try that, just in case I can't make the settings here reflect that choice. Sorry 'bout that...
Shane
Site Admin

Postby jodi on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks Shane, it opens in a tab for me, but that's better than before!
I heart
jodi

Postby Shane on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:40 am

jodi wrote:Thanks Shane, it opens in a tab for me, but that's better than before!

You're welcome, Jodi. I don't know what kind of browser you're using over there, but there should be a place in your preferences that you can turn off tabbed-browsing, and therefore make it open everything up in a new window. Or, you can use the keyboard shortcut I mentioned, too.
Shane
Site Admin

Next

Return to Come on in and say Hello