10 Things About Us

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

Re: 10 Things About Us

Postby herbie1976 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Cheers This_Girl this is why I like this forum.

Your point 4 with your husband, my wife knew and worked with me before we started dating and like you she knows more about my past than would have like her too, but we're here now and things are all good
Vinny Chong rules!
herbie1976

Postby gallan1 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm

1.i'm 47
2. i live fredericton ,new brunswick ,canada
3.i work for a company that builds houses
4.my hobbies are working with wood and reading
5.i live with a wonderful lady and her son(toni & nic)
6.i have 2 kids of my own (james & emily)
7.found out about joe in wikipedia looking up anthogy writers
8.have all of stephen kings,clive barkers books
9.i have 20th century ghost and heart shaped box
10.i think i have ran out of things ,thats why joe is the writer and i'm not haha
gallan1

Postby This_Girl on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm

:) Hi Gallan1. I work for a company who works for companies who build houses, LOL. Subcontractor for "specialties". We aren't much in residences...condos, but not homes. We do a lot of Clubhouses for residential communities here in S.Florida.
I am jealous you have all of Stephen King's books. I am working on it...I know the ones I am missing are a click away on ebay or somewhere online...I just like "hunting" them down the old fashion way I guess. I am sure sooner or later I'll obtain them online, though.

So what kinds of stuff do you do with wood? I am without talent and I LOVE seeing other's art in all forms.
This_Girl

Postby prncsspwr on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 am

I love hunting down books the old fashioned way...I had to go to 4 bookstores to get a copy of Heart Shaped Box and felt like I was on a scavenger hunt for 2 days.
prncsspwr

Postby demorganakamark on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:50 am

I agree that is the best way to shop for a book.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby herbie1976 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:28 am

Where I live we have a few second hand bookshops, and I love going into them andhaving a look so see if there's any book by King, Knootz, Barker or Gaiman that I've never read and in the last 2 weeks have found 4 such books
Vinny Chong rules!
herbie1976

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:40 pm

That's very cool...I love browsing in the used bookstore! :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby doodoobird on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Never seen a used book store. That would be cool, though.
Yo mama
doodoobird

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:17 pm

doodoobird wrote:Never seen a used book store. That would be cool, though.

They must have one somewhere around where you live! I will say that you can also find some great books at a good price at the public library...sometimes you can find something decent at Goodwill. We have a used bookstore that also sells dvds, music and video games. I love to browse in there. They even have a "free" shelf!

Betsy_Boo

Postby herbie1976 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:11 am

Oh a free shelf, thats what I love about used book shops!

the only problem is where I live in belfast the shops are slowly disappearing, which I think is a shame
Vinny Chong rules!
herbie1976

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:07 am

Yes, it is. Although you'd think since the economy is going into the crapper they'd do better. I know the libraries are. I have a friend who wants to open his own bookstore, but I fear the timing isn't right. But we really do need an independent bookstore here. If I had the money I'd go in with him...I've always wanted to run a little bookstore. :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby grasking on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Yes, it is. Although you'd think since the economy is going into the crapper they'd do better. I know the libraries are. I have a friend who wants to open his own bookstore, but I fear the timing isn't right. But we really do need an independent bookstore here. If I had the money I'd go in with him...I've always wanted to run a little bookstore. :)

There was an article in our paper Sunday about independent bookstores and their decline. Most can't compete with the chains with their economy of scale and the Internet. Plus, people don't read books as much as they once did. In the early 90s there were about 4700 independent bookstores in the U.S., now there are about 1900.
grasking

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 pm

The library is where i find some good ol used books for sale. Im surprised to hear that from DDB.

I know, IF ANYONE KNOW OF ANY USED BOOKSTORES ONLINE...THEN LETS HAVE THEM...I for one will search and search for a good book. SO, here is my contribution. The stores are here where i live
http://www.ebookman.com/
demorganakamark

Postby herbie1976 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:04 am

What do you's all think of those sony i-books, I hate to say it but this generation will frind them the best thing since sliced bread, but I just cant leave the feel, weight and smell of a book as you read it.

Call me old fashioned but in my mind having the actual book in your hands is always a big plus with me
Vinny Chong rules!
herbie1976

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:19 pm

herbie1976 wrote:What do you's all think of those sony i-books, I hate to say it but this generation will frind them the best thing since sliced bread, but I just cant leave the feel, weight and smell of a book as you read it.

Call me old fashioned but in my mind having the actual book in your hands is always a big plus with me

I think that both formats can and will co-exist.My preference will always be for the book in hand.
demorganakamark

PreviousNext

Return to Come on in and say Hello