FAQ & Rules

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

FAQ & Rules

Postby Shane on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 am

Welcome to the official message board for author Joe Hill.

This FAQ is here both to try and do what FAQs do, and that's answer a lot of the questions that people first turning up tend to ask, as well as outline the rules and expectations for using this message board.

~ The Board ~

The rules for the Joe Hill Message Board are pretty simple.

We're all here because we're interested in Joe's work -- and we like talking about it, sharing it, and meeting other like-minded people who enjoy it as much as we do.

Although this is a space provided for the discussion of other writers and their subsequent work, if you are interested in talking at great length about the works of another person, you would be best served to go to a specific site for that author.

Unlike with some other boards, messages are posted without moderator-review -- but that does not mean that if a post is determined to be improper, that it will remain. Every message is read as the board is actively moderated.

Personal attacks on other members are prohibited. It's great to have opinions, and even fun to share them, so long as we're all doing so civilly.

I hope you enjoy your time here!

-Shane
Administrator

~ General Rules for the 'Board ~

• Who to contact for help?
• Forum Topics
• Spoilers
• Censorship
• Helpful Tools
• Hotlinking

-- If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions about the board, please contact me through a PM (private message). Click here to message me.

-- If you are writing about the details of a book/story, please use the word "**Spoilers**" in your subject posting. Don't assume that people have read or experienced all that you have.

-- We're not limiting the language members can use here, and cussing & swearing are allowed, so long as that's not all your posts consist of.

-- There are two amazing assets for your use when posting here: "quote" and "preview". Any time you are posting, it's always possible to "preview" the message and make sure it reads the way you want it to read. This comes in handy when you're quoting someone (as the tags can be a little awkward until you're used to them) or posting an image (it will show if done correctly through the previewing). I would suggest getting used to using them, especially the "quote" option -- as it makes replying to a comment, perhaps pages ago, all the easier to follow (for all of us!).

-- Avatars are currently not allowed. This may change in the future. Or it may not.

-- Hotlinking can be a serious problem. For those who don't know what 'hotlinking' is, the CliffsNotes version goes like this: more often than not, people will see an image they like on another website, and copy the code for that picture to appear in their forum posting. It seems harmless enough, but the common analogy is to imagine a total stranger plugging into the electrical outlets you pay for, and use the electricity you provide free of charge.

The solution to this is actually really easy. If you find an image you'd like to use in your posts (either in a signature, or actual posting), and it's hosted on a website that you're not paying for, then find a place of your own to host that image. There are several free, and simple, services like photobucket.com, flickr.com, and even places like Yahoo offer photo folders. Just save the pictures there and then link from your own spot to save the headaches. Use the Image Code to display your picture here on the board, just be mindful of the pic's original sizing. For example --> [img]the-web-address-of-your-desired-picture-here[/img] will show your image just fine.

I'd rather not get emails from individuals paying for their sites who have discovered we're "stealing" from them, if it pleases you. If you have any questions about this, let me know... or you can read more about it here: http://www.altlab.com/hotlinking.html

-- Please try to keep topics in their respective areas, e.g. posting about Heart-Shaped Box in the Appearances folder is a no-no. Also, try to keep on subject when in the correct forums, too. It makes things easier for others who are similarly interested in the topic.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ Joe ~

1. Is Joe involved with this board at all?
  2. How do I get in touch with Joe?
  3. I've heard/read that you are Stephen King's son. Is this true, and if so, why are you not being open about it?
  4. Why did you write under a pseudonym?
  5. Does Joe have a website?
  6. Does Joe write a blog?
  7. When do you write?
  8. I have a great idea for your next story... wanna hear it?
  9. Can I send you my unpublished book/story/comic I wrote?
10. Can you help me get an agent?
11. How can I get a book of yours signed?
12. How do I find out about your appearances?
13. Is there a fan club I can join?
14. What other stuff have you written?
15. Where can I hear about updates regarding Joe's writing?
16. Is there an RSS feed for Joe's blog?

1. Is Joe involved with this board at all?
-- He is, though not as much as the "regulars" in here. Joe is a registered member of the board and is known to pop up from time to time for updates, information, and the occasional bantering. But, he's a busy fellow, so his appearances here are random and unscheduled.

2. How do I get in touch with Joe?
-- Joe’s email is private, but you can leave a message for him here at the board if you like. No promises that he’ll answer, again owing to a busy schedule.

3. I've heard/read that you are Stephen King's son. Is this true, and if so, why are you not being open about it?
-- At this point Joe is fairly open about it, and has addressed it in a number of interviews. One such article can be found here.

4. Why did Joe write under a pseudonym?
-- Joe began to write and publish as Joe Hill in 1996, to give his fiction a chance to rise or fall on its own merits, and to avoid receiving special consideration as a famous guy’s kid. He was able to write as Joe Hill without being publicly identified as Stephen King’s son until mid-2006. After a decade of writing as Hill, it’s his professional identity, and for that reason he continues to use the pseudonym. [Hill, it should be noted, is an abbreviation of Joe’s middle name, Hillström.]

5. Does Joe have a website?
-- The official Joe Hill website can be found here.

6. Does Joe write a blog?
-- Joe's blog can be found here.

7. When do you write?
-- Joe works everyday and attempts to get in at least six hours of writing.

8. I have a great idea for your next story... wanna hear it?
-- No, thank you. Joe has plenty of ideas of his own to work through. But he wishes you the best of luck with your idea, should you pursue writing it yourself.

9. Can I send you a my unpublished book/story/comic?
-- No. Joe cannot look at unpublished work. Unpublished work mailed to him will be disposed of without being read.

10. Can you help me get an agent?
-- Sorry, no.

11. How can I get a book of yours signed?
-- The easiest way is to meet Joe at a signing.

12. How do I find out about Joe's appearances?
-- Almost all appearances are posted either on Joe's blog, the Tour portion of Joe's website, or here at on the message board.

13. Is there a fan club I can join?
-- No. But by becoming a member of the message board, you're as close to a formal fan club as you can get.

14. What other stuff have you written?
-- An inventory of all of Joe's written work can be found here.

It should be noted that Joe Hill is NOT the author of Surviving, a book of poetry by a man with the same name. It may be a very good book of poetry, but it isn’t by the same Joe Hill who wrote Heart-Shaped Box. Likewise, he has no connection with the labor leader, who shares his name.

15. Where can I hear about updates regarding Joe's writing?
-- Joe posts all news about upcoming or updated publications on his official blog and usually copies such information on the Updates thread here on the message board.

16. Is there an RSS feed for Joe's blog?
-- Yes, if you'd like to know when Joe's updated his blog, you can use this for your RSS reader: feed://joehillfiction.com/?feed=rss2
Last edited by Shane on Thu May 29, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby LauraK on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:56 am

Thanks, Shane. If it isn't already, this should be a sticky. Lotta good info here and I hope I haven't screwed up too much myself! :oops:

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby annmarie on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:01 am

Ahhhhhh Lk, don't worry about screwing up, I did it once and Shane only beat me a little :wink:
Are you stalking me? Cuz that would be SUPER!
annmarie

Postby val04463 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:36 pm

Oh My ....I did one of those HotLinks things, but I stopped it as soon as I REALIZED...sorry!!
This is a great set of FAQ's!!

8)
val04463

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Okay, so, the image I used for my signature picture was from Photobucket, so that's kosher, right?

Are we allowed to link to Youtube things? I've done that alot.

Just checking.
Dana_Jean

Postby MadamMack on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:57 pm

I'll be a good girl Shane . . .
Yes, it's me!
MadamMack

Postby val04463 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:56 am

I will watch closely for bad, bad boys on the site and spank ALL offenders!!
val04463

Postby Shane on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 am

LauraK wrote:Thanks, Shane. If it isn't already, this should be a sticky. Lotta good info here and I hope I haven't screwed up too much myself! :oops:

I like Announcements better, since they will always remain at the top of every page in this folder, and a sticky won't do that. No worries about your screwing up stuff, either.

annmarie wrote:Ahhhhhh Lk, don't worry about screwing up, I did it once and Shane only beat me a little :wink:

Well... you asked me to. I like to be an accomodating Administrator.

val04463 wrote:Oh My ....I did one of those HotLinks things, but I stopped it as soon as I REALIZED...sorry!!

Val, don't worry -- I didn't post this because of that little episode you recently had. The FAQ has been written and just laying dormant on my desktop for a while now. The timing of it all is really just coincidental.

Dana Jean wrote:Okay, so, the image I used for my signature picture was from Photobucket, so that's kosher, right? Are we allowed to link to Youtube things? I've done that alot.

If you host your own images, like on Photobucket, that's totally fine. YouTube has specifically provided links for people to share their files, so it's OK there, too.
Shane
Site Admin

Postby aaron2010 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:11 pm

Great message board. I'm really glad I visit.

Postby val04463 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:51 am

I run my own message board and I am here 10 times more than there..I feel as if most of us are kindred "Spirits"...I have never had Internet friends before and my life is better because of the bantering here...I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.

And no,,,I don't have an incurable disease and this is my way of saying goodbye...I just really like this board!! :oops:
val04463

Xx

Postby PamIAm714 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 am

Xxx
Last edited by PamIAm714 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Cry, and you're all alone.
PamIAm714

Postby sybil on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:10 pm

we're glad you're here, pam. stick around!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Shane on Thu May 29, 2008 4:38 pm

For anyone who's interested in getting (near) immediate notification of Joe's blog updates, I've added the information for the RSS feed.
Shane
Site Admin

Return to Come on in and say Hello