Hi from Russian fans + Russian front covers

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

Re: Hi from Russian fans + Russian front covers

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed May 13, 2009 4:26 pm

Pickman wrote:Well, here it is (sorry for posting it as a link - couldn't get the URL of the image):
http://fantlab.ru/edition31285

That was very cool, Pickman. I studied a little Russian in college...the direct translation of the title is "heart in the shape of a box", yes?

BTW, where have you been?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Pickman on Thu May 14, 2009 8:49 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:That was very cool, Pickman. I studied a little Russian in college...the direct translation of the title is "heart in the shape of a box", yes?
Yeah, with a small correction - "box in the shape of a heart"! :) English is a much more condensed language than Russian. It's real fun watching as books get 30-50 pages longer after they've been translated.
BTW, where have you been?
Engaging in daily duties. I'll be truly back in about a month.
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu May 14, 2009 7:42 pm

:oops: Well, it HAS been a long time since I studied. I remember so little of the language. I keep thinking I'll go back and take a refresher course. The problem is I have no one to practice speaking with here in NC. :(

I hope whatever is keeping you busy is a lot of fun! I hope to be busy soon as well. I heard about a job opening today that I would love! :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby Pickman on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:30 am

It's good to be back :)
I'm glad to say that the second Russian edition of "20th Century Ghosts" is out! You can take a look at the front cover here.
Betsy_Boo wrote::oops: Well, it HAS been a long time since I studied. I remember so little of the language. I keep thinking I'll go back and take a refresher course. The problem is I have no one to practice speaking with here in NC. :(
You still seem to retain most of your language skills! I hope that will be the case with my German, which I abandoned after passing the final exam in the university...
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:03 pm

I love that cover! I wouldn't mind having a poster of that! Who is the artist?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Pickman on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Oh, that's a local artist, his name is Sergei Schikin (shee-keen).
I could try and make a good scan of this cover for you if you wish :) Copyright laws are less strict in our country, so that's absolutely okay.

Meanwhile, after long wait I laid my hands on the copy of "Welcome to Lovecraft". That's an amazing piece of fiction (yeah, I tend to include good comics into the realm of literature as such). It's really disappointing that here in Russia many readers regard comics as a kind of lowbrow entertainment only. Still, the success of some cult graphic novels like "Watchmen" or "Sandman" seems to change public opinion, and I think that such notable authors as Joe or Clive Barker have a good chance to enter our market with their efforts in the comic field.
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:35 pm

I think comics were considered "lowbrow" here as well up until a few years ago. You guys may be just catching up.

To be honest, I hadn't really been interested in comics since I was a teen until Joe/Gabe published L&K. I am fascinated by this story...but also fascinated by my reaction to the comic itself. It is a whole new way of reading for me. As of late, I have been looking at other comics, but none of them seem to "do it" for me like L&K with the possible exception of MAUS.

Betsy_Boo

Postby James on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Don't think I've offered a "welcome" to anyone before...
so consider this my first "welcome"!
James

Postby Pickman on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:28 am

Thank you, James :)
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Previous

Return to Come on in and say Hello