Hi from Russian fans + Russian front covers

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

Hi from Russian fans + Russian front covers

Postby Pickman on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:14 am

Hi everyone (Mr. Hill in particular :) ), my name's Vlad and I'm glad I've finally set my foot on this merry land.

Thank Cthuhlu, Joe Hill's major works have been published in our country as well, and the translations are quite nice - it would have been a real disappointment to read these wonderful stories in clumsy language.

Here are the front covers (both books are hardbacks):

Heart-Shaped Box (Коробка в форме сердца/Korobka v forme serdtza)

20th Century Ghosts (Призраки двадцатого века/Prizraki dvadtzatogo veka)

The novel has seen two editions so far.
The writing just below the author's name says "The main literary mystification of 2007". Bad taste, if you ask me, but it boosted the sales.
Both the novel and the collection were generally well recieved, which I think is the only acceptable reception :) .

What I personally liked best in Mr. Hill's works is the feeling of classic speculative (weird, horror, fantasy, whatever) fiction - as if I was reading some forgotten and now revealed stories by some obscure writer of the past... say, of Ray Bradbury's era. They're old-fashioned in exactly the way I like - setting the fictional universe without commercializing it (like D&D worlds). Yet the modern undertone in them is quite clear. Thank you for that, Mister Hill.

And now some facts about me :) My full name is Vladislav Zhenevsky (like Geneva Lake), I'm a full-time translator of fiction - by this moment I've done Simon Kernick's "Relentless" (a British thriller of questionable quality), Kelly Armstrong's "Stolen" (urban fantasy, not bad) and Leopoldo Gout "Ghost Radio" (absolutely awesome weird fiction!). Now I'm beginning Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt's "Dracula: The Un-Dead" (in manuscript, of course) - a challenging project but I think I'll cope.
I'm a beginning writer myself but have not yet tried to publish my stories. The genre is horror, of course. My major influences are Stephen King, Lovecraft, Mervyn Peake, Dan Simmons, Clive Barker, Richard Matheson, Ray Bradbury, Peter Straub, Arthur Machen, Tom Holland, Kafka and some others.

I'm also the chief editor of "Darkness" ("Тьма"), so far the only Russian e-zine (and magazine in general) dealing with horror and related genres - in fiction, movies, games, music and life. There have been 9 issues to this date. You can download them here if you like (sorry, we haven't developed an English version of the site yet).
Over the course of our history we've had the honour to interview Lawrence Santoro, Guy N. Smith and Robert McCammon (by e-mail, of course), as well as a number of Russian writers. The latest issue is much better than the first but sky's the limit...

As far as I know, Mr. Hill hasn't given interviews to Russian magazines, but this gap had better be stopped, I believe :) Our readers are sure to enjoy such an interview; on the other hand, it may serve well to promoting Mr. Hill's future and published works in Russia. The date and the form of the conversation are the interviewee's choice, that goes without saying.
If Mr. Hill feels interested, could he (or his represntative) please get in touch with me at zhenevsky@gmail.com.

Thanks for attention to everyone - and again, to Mr. Hill for his books :D It's a shame that our publishers're still ingoring "Locke and Key"...
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Re: Hi from Russian fans + Russian front covers

Postby Pickman on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:31 am

Oh yeah, and I'm 24 :)
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:14 am

Welcome Pickman! (That is a Lovecraft character, eh?) I'm so glad you posted here! It is so interesting to see foreign editions of familiar books. And you brought up something about Joe's work that hadn't occurred to me...that his writing is "classic" and "modern" at the same time. Being an older person, I think that's why I took to his work so quickly. I grew up on the "classics" and reading Joe's work is reminiscent of the old masters of fantasy and horror. And yet, he always brings something new to the table. Anyway, best of luck to you! Hope Joe will give you that interview!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Pickman on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:59 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:(That is a Lovecraft character, eh?)
Sure 8) My romance with HPL began with this story.
I'm so glad you posted here! It is so interesting to see foreign editions of familiar books. And you brought up something about Joe's work that hadn't occurred to me...that his writing is "classic" and "modern" at the same time. Being an older person, I think that's why I took to his work so quickly. I grew up on the "classics" and reading Joe's work is reminiscent of the old masters of fantasy and horror. And yet, he always brings something new to the table.
And I'm glad that someone shares my feelings (people love being alike, don't they?)!
Of course "classic" doesnt' mean being exactly the same - yes, the stories of the golden era are vivid and stick to your memory, but they're naive and often plot-centered. And JH's fiction lends an extent of psychology and... hm, maturity to this tradition, without knocking it down with irony (which I hate). This method is used by many authors but I think JH has found the most effective proportion...

And speaking of foreign editions, here's the cover of Stephen Jones' "The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, volume 17" (which includes "Best New Horror"):

http://fantlab.ru/edition25816
Kinky but again, good for sales.

Anyway, best of luck to you! Hope Joe will give you that interview!
Thank you! :)
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby LauraK on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Welcome to the board, Pickman!

Your English is wonderful- have you read Joe's books in both English and Russian? (I'm guessing you have since you're a translator.)

Good luck on getting that interview......:)

Have you got Joe's comic series Locke and Key over there? They are extaordinary.

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Pickman on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:51 am

LauraK wrote:Welcome to the board, Pickman!

Your English is wonderful- have you read Joe's books in both English and Russian? (I'm guessing you have since you're a translator.)
Good luck on getting that interview......:)
Thank you, Laura! :) So far I've done the Russian versions only but I'll take the original ones for second (third, fourth etc) reading.
Have you got Joe's comic series Locke and Key over there? They are extaordinary.
Not yet. Most comic books are hard to find in our parts, so I'll have to use some online shop...
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby dragynlady on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Welcome! Great to meet you.
dragynlady

Postby This_Girl on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks for sharing the covers...very interesting to see those! I NEVER would have guessed that one as being 20th Century Ghosts.

Hi there and hope you stick around.
This_Girl

Postby Pickman on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 am

This_Girl wrote:Thanks for sharing the covers...very interesting to see those! I NEVER would have guessed that one as being 20th Century Ghosts.
Me too - after reading the book :)
Welcome! Great to meet you.
Thanks. I'ms sure I will!
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:23 am

This_Girl wrote:Thanks for sharing the covers...very interesting to see those! I NEVER would have guessed that one as being 20th Century Ghosts.

Must be a happy face button for "Button Boy". :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 am

Ooooh - Good Call, BB!
This_Girl

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Pickman on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 am

It turns out that in May there comes a new Russian edition of "Heart-Shaped Box" with a different cover. I'll post it here as soon as I get it.
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks P...I'd love to see it.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Pickman on Wed May 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Well, here it is (sorry for posting it as a link - couldn't get the URL of the image):
http://fantlab.ru/edition31285
What dreams may come...
Pickman

Next

Return to Come on in and say Hello