I'm Angela...and Awed

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

I'm Angela...and Awed

Postby sunnygirl67 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:59 pm

I made my first trip in 10 years to my home town library a week or so ago. I am a voracious reader, mind you, but I love books and have a bit of money to buy them, so I do. I should say I like collecting good books. Truth is, I just haven't thought about the library (odd thing is, I love libraries very much and spent most of my youth in one or another), until a friend suggested it a few weeks ago.

Bad thing about my reading habits, though: I get "stuck" on an author and loathe branching out to try new ones. When I went to my library (which is the suckiest library in the free world - my home has more square footage), I went to find books by favorite authors that I was not in possession of or hadn't read. Stephen King and Robin Cook are my absolute favorite authors, but I also greatly enjoy Patricia Cornwell, a little Dean Kootnz (Dragon Tears, even with its lame ending, is one of my all-time favs), Douglas Adams, and John Grisham. I read a lot of nonfiction, including politics and biographies, as well.

The "new releases" is at the front of my lame-o book emporium, and I gave it its due perusal, and there I found Horns.

I've known of Joe Hill forever, of course, but was unaware of so much as his fiction genre. But I've felt the compulsion to look him up. This does have a lot to do with the above mentioned bad habit (it's like trying out a new author and not loving him instills in me some sort of ill-defined horror).

I picked up Horns and superficially perused it. Catchy cover. Nice reviews.
I decided to read the first page standing there.

It caught instantly. Now, on page 306, I am very afraid of it ending. Not the ending, but the book ending at all. I am a fan. I can't wait to get to another Joe Hill book. If Iggy lives out the ending, I'd like to see him again too.

Thank you, Joe!
sunnygirl67

Re: I'm Angela...and Awed

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Wow! Good review, Angela! I tried soooooo hard to read HORNS slowly but I still finished it way too soon. So glad to meet a fellow fan! :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby This_Girl on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Angela!
I had to giggle when I read "Now, on page 306, I am very afraid of it ending. Not the ending, but the book ending at all." I was JUST thinking something similar last night.... I have about 25% left to read and I'm getting "afraid" of not having this story continue.

I am happy to read you liked Horns and Joe Hill :) At least you can can run out & get the others and fill your cup a little longer. (Heart Shaped Box & 20th Century Ghosts are GREAT! And there's others out there for you to consume. [lucky you] Did you read the collaboration w/ Joe Hill & Stephen?)
This_Girl

Postby Doose333 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Oh the feeling of knowing the end is inevitable... such a sad truth that everything must end, as much as we don't want it to...
Doose333

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:22 pm

And then again, there are some books where you pray for the ending. THE ENGLISH PATIENT was one of those for me.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Come on in and say Hello