Tiny Change in Protocol

Here's where you can introduce yourself and find out about the Joe Hill Message Board

Tiny Change in Protocol

Postby Shane on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi, all!

I'm going to change how the "Come On In And Say Hello" folder is handled going forward.

When I clean up the board, I move all the threads that are past a certain date to the archives where they can still be read and posted to if desired.

No big deal, really... just a little slight of hand, some sweeping up, and the machine roars on. :)

However, with the numerous introductions made in the "Come On In..." folder, it seems overkill to archive all of these posts. Mainly, it makes the archived folder seem over-inflated with threads... so much so that if a person coming here out of interest (or research) stumbled in there, the visual effect of the collection of posts therein would surely drive them off. I know similar effects have happened to me on other sites... and I don't like the notion of running this site like one I don't enjoy attending.

Soooo.... in going forward - I'll archive all the posts from the other folders when the need/time warrants, but when it comes around to cleaning up the "Come On In..." folder, I'm not going to archive the separate posts of introduction. When the messages have run their course, they'll be deleted, rather than saved -- except for the ones mentioned further below.

This is not to suggest I don't want people to feel encouraged to introduce themselves... not at all! I want that very much. However, there are a couple of already established threads for such things, and to remind everyone... here's where they are in this folder:

Feel free to introduce yourself in this thread.

If you'd like to post a pic of yourself, and see what others in here look like.

If you'd like to get some more info on us, and share more about yourself.

You can still post your greetings outside of these threads, of course, but just know that when I clean up that particular folder, your posts may go by the wayside at that point.

Alright. Hope everyone's well...
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Barry_Wood on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Great job, Shane.

:-)
Barry_Wood

Postby sybil on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:34 pm

thanks for the info, and for the nice board you keep. wish you had time to join in more!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Yeah...where have you been and what have you been up to, Shane?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Shane on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks, you guys. I'm glad that you really enjoy coming here and that you're all having fun.

Lily: It's not so bad in here for the most part... I really like the chatter and the various introductions. It's cool to see more people finding us. But, the archiving had to go! :)

Betsy & Sybil: I've been around, just a bit busy of late. Been on the road for some fun for a while, and back home settling into things, getting over being a tad sick, juggling all the day-today stuff in the meantime. You know how it goes. But, I'm always around in here, if not outwardly visible all the time. I'm reading all the messages and keeping up with you all. I'm sure to chime in more often, but occasionally I need to be the guy-behind-the-curtain. :D
Shane
Site Admin

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:03 am

well, we know you're around because if any little thing goes wrong, you're on top of it. but it's nice to see you around a little more. so where did you road trip?
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Shane on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:07 am

sybil wrote:well, we know you're around because if any little thing goes wrong, you're on top of it. but it's nice to see you around a little more. so where did you road trip?

Thanks. I try to keep it all running as smoothly as possible.

I was down with Joe and Leo and the kids for this latest adventure. Fun times, galore!
Shane
Site Admin

Postby sybil on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:14 am

glad you had such a great time!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah...road trips are great. Enjoy 'em while you're young! I'm afraid that when hubby and I finally retire we'll be too old and tired for road trips. Glad you're making time for fun, Shane! So few of us do, and we always regret it. The older I get the more I realize that having fun is essential to our sanity. And thanks for popping in to let us know how you are. We've missed you!

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Shane! Nice to see you around again and glad to hear you had a fun adventure with Joe, Leanora and the kids.

So you have on your board-cleaning clothes, right? Don't get too dirty, maybe try one of those Magic Erasers, I hear they work pretty well.

(I bet your house is spic-and-span and stuff is in Rubbermaid containers with labels on em......am I right??) :wink:

Thanks for this most excellent board, really. It's a great place with loads of great people. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Re: Tiny Change in Protocol

Postby Nerak on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:09 am

Shane wrote:
Feel free to introduce yourself in this thread: http://joehillfiction.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=3

If you'd like to post a pic of yourself, and see what others in here look like: http://joehillfiction.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=256

If you'd like to get some more info on us, and share more about yourself: http://joehillfiction.informe.com/viewtopic.php?t=213

Hey Shane, I just tried those links and they don't work anymore...fyi!!
Nerak

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:30 am

Nerak wrote:Hey Shane, I just tried those links and they don't work anymore...fyi!!

Gotcha. Thanks. There's a handful of things like that I've got to get around to fixing it seems... 'appreciate it!
Shane
Site Admin

Postby LauraK on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:28 am

Ah, you're obviously working hard and we appreciate it, Shane! It's looking more familiar around these parts. The lovely gray is back.....the leaves-and-moths, ahhhh. Nice. 8)

Every time I come, though, I have to log in. I click the "remember me" box but it seems to be a futile effort. Gone and then forgotten, *snif*.
:wink:

Thanks for all you're doing!

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Shane on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:40 am

LauraK wrote:Ah, you're obviously working hard and we appreciate it, Shane! It's looking more familiar around these parts. The lovely gray is back.....the leaves-and-moths, ahhhh. Nice. 8)

Every time I come, though, I have to log in. I click the "remember me" box but it seems to be a futile effort. Gone and then forgotten, *snif*.
:wink:

Thanks for all you're doing!

LK

Thanks, Laura. I'll be doing some more to make this place seem more familiar, and I hope it's something that people can once again get used to.

I'm not sure why you have to continue to log in, especially once you've clicked the 'remember me' field... perhaps your computer isn't set to save cookies or something like that, or maybe once you clear your cache/cookies it'll follow the link? Hang in there!
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:39 am

I'm so glad you brought back the leaves and moths...so pretty. It's starting to feel like home again!

Betsy_Boo

Next

Return to Come on in and say Hello