A Comic Question?

See you in the funny pages...

A Comic Question?

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:59 am

Since I've only recently gotten back into comics I obviously don't know much about the process. My question is, why do comics have one person to do the artwork and another to do the color?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: A Comic Question?

Postby grasking on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:43 am

It's better for the economy?

I'm not sure, but my guess is if someone did everything, the drawing, inking and coloring, the comics would never get released on time.
grasking

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:13 pm

You know, g...when I first read your response I had to laugh (you always make me LOL) but when I started to think about it what you said makes a lot of sense. Seeing as how new comics come out once a month I guess the artists are under a real time crunch. I've never given much thought to the artist who does the color, but I realized in the last L&K how important it is...for the obvious reasons of course, but also for how a lot of times the color sets the tone. For example, the comparison between the inside of Bode's head and the inside of Tyler's. Anyway, thanks for answering my question. :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby Gabriel on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:05 am

grasking is right, Betsy... it's just about time and deadlines. In a month it's sometimes possible to do 22 fully inked pages, and even a cover also, but also to color it is too much. In fact, mostly pencils, inks and color are done separately, by 3 different artists.
Anyway, I have to say that when you have the chance to work with talented counterparts, like Jay Fotos, it's incredibly satisfaying to share the artwork with another artist...

G-
Gabriel

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks G! What grasking said did make a lot of sense and I appreciate you confirming that. I think the work you and Mr. Fotos have done has been just amazing...especially now that I understand the kind of deadlines you are under. And it's really cool that all three of you work so well together. I feel very lucky to have gotten the chance to experience L&K from the beginning and I'm really looking forward to the next issue! But I promise to be more patient now that I know the time crunch you guys face.

BTW, cool website G! :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby brucebrown on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Betsy-Boo,

Saw this and thought I'd throw in a little more on this topic. Actually there are books now that have one artist who can do everything; pencil, ink and color; a triple threat if you will. That is another trend because it is easier to have one person do it all, even though it is more work, than sometimes to rely on three people to meet a deadline. It sounds like alot for one person but there is a saying in comic art; "first you get good, then you get fast".
brucebrown

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 pm

brucebrown wrote:Betsy-Boo,

Saw this and thought I'd throw in a little more on this topic. Actually there are books now that have one artist who can do everything; pencil, ink and color; a triple threat if you will. That is another trend because it is easier to have one person do it all, even though it is more work, than sometimes to rely on three people to meet a deadline. It sounds like alot for one person but there is a saying in comic art; "first you get good, then you get fast".

That would be interesting to see...an artist who does all three. You know of any examples I could look at?
BTW, still anxiously awaiting "Howard"...not too much longer, eh?

Betsy_Boo

Return to Comics