Howard Lovecraft & The Frozen Kingdom

See you in the funny pages...

Howard Lovecraft & The Frozen Kingdom

Postby brucebrown on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:52 am

My name is Bruce Brown and I am new to the boards. I am the writer of a book called Howard Lovecraft and
the Frozen Kingdom. It is an all ages introduction to the works of H.P. Lovecraft.
Thought I'd share this with the boards.

brucebrown

Re: Howard Lovecraft & The Frozen Kingdom

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks Bruce...I'll check it out! Looks cool!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby brucebrown on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Ha! I just posted this to show you on the other thread Betsy_Boo! Ha! Thanks. The book has been
getting some great early reviews! I am really excited about it.
I kinda figured it would be okay to post this since it is obvious Joe Hill is a big Lovecraft fan!
brucebrown

Postby Patrick on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Welcome, Bruce! You might provide a link to your site or the book's site, if applicable.

As I have young children, I look forward to learning more about this project!
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Honestly...I don't think Joe would mind that you posted this here, but if it's not kosher I'm sure someone will let you know. I think most of us are Lovecraft fans and Joe is very supportive of all things comic. I did try to find more info and I read a couple of good reviews. It does sound like something I'd be interested in. I'm gonna call my comic store and see if they have it tomorrow. Good luck Bruce!

Betsy_Boo

Postby brucebrown on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks Patrick and Besty_Boo!

I don't have a site solely for the book, but it is coming out through Arcana.
Here are a few early reviews of the book.

This is the first review from Planet Lovecraft Magazine.

As a Lovecraft aficionado, I take an interest in all things HPL, and when I came across the website of Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom a while back, my curiosity was definitely piqued.

Let me make one thing clear – I consider myself a Lovecraft scholar, but I’m not a Lovecraft purist by any stretch of the imagination. As much as I love The Old Gent’s weird tales, I love even more a contemporary writer that can understand Lovecraft’s intent and then weave their own storylines within the Mythos.

With Arcana’s “Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom”, Bruce Brown has given us a little of both… he spins a yarn that falls half in the “real” world – that is, Lovecraft’s childhood – and half in The Frozen Kingdom, an alternate dimension that brings to mind Randolph Carter’s Dreamlands.

In fact, one of the strengths of HLatFK is that, if you’re an HPL fan, everything feels a little familiar. Brown is obviously a fan himself, and so you feel comfortable letting him steer you through his version of Lovecraft Country. And as he tells his story, we meet characters and creatures and discover clues that will obviously lead young Howard to the writer he becomes and the stories he’s best known for.

The art, by Renzo Podesta, is nothing short of gorgeous, each frame so stuffed with natural motion that it looks like you’re looking at a series of animated cels, colored in muted sepias for Howard’s everyday, real world, and icy blue-greens in the world of the Frozen Kingdom. In fact, more than once I thought to myself, “I want to see this movie!”

Will everyone love this? Probably not. There’s a broad and sometimes jarring child-like humor that runs contrary to the dark images, but I embraced it for what it was – the obvious joy of a writer getting caught up in his characters, and Podesta counters by channeling Bill Watterson (creator of Calvin and Hobbes) at his best with young Howard and his Cthulhian pet, Spot.

Where so many recent companies have jumped on the Lovecraft bandwagon and turned the Old Ones into just a bunch of creatures to punch, shoot, or blow up, it’s nice to see someone with a genuine love – and knowledge – of the source material step up and show ‘em how it’s done.

Ia!

K.L. Young
Editor, Art Director, Lavatory Cleaner
Planet Lovecraft Magazine
brucebrown

Postby brucebrown on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:35 pm

Here is one from Cosmic Book News.

Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom
Writer: Bruce Brown

Penciler: Renzo Podesta

Colorist: Renzo Podesta

Cover Artist: Thomas Boatwright

Warning: Contains Spoilers

There's a prevalent school of thought that what happens to us as young children has a great deal of impact on the later adult we become. If that's the case, what events in his young life might have warped the psyche of H.P. Lovecraft and created the delightfully twisted mind that spawned the Cthulu Mythos? Writer Bruce Brown and Artist Renzo Podesta use this idea as a springboard into their whimsical horror story featuring young Howard as the protagonist.

Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom hits the shelves this fall from Arcana. It is available for pre-orders in PREVIEW now (The Diamond Order Code is: OCT09 0688). As with any independent release, pre orders are important to assure the release of the book, so if you like what you see, be sure to place your order.

The book begins darkly enough: It's Christmas Eve 1894 and young Howard's mother takes him to see his mad father at the Butler Sanitarium in hopes that the Holy Day will give the man clarity enough to talk to his boy. The institution's staff discourage her, but young Howard wanders off on his own and sees his father.

His father is ranting and raving, but gains focus long enough to give his son two things: advice and a lucky charm. His father tells him to destroy the book, without telling him what book he means. And he gives the boy a small star as a charm before his mother whisks young Howard away.

After such a traumatic encounter young Howard can't sleep that night, so his mother gives him his present early – a book his father wrote. Howard reads aloud words no one should utter. A portal to the frozen kingdom opens and Howard is sucked through into a different world.

Howard's youthful bravado and ignorance allows him to face up to untold horrors in the frozen kingdom – well, that and he's helped by a monster beholden to him – some call him “Thu Thu” but Howard re-dubs him “Spot.” How would young Howard know how deadly these beings are? After all, it will be his grown-up self that later tells us of evils such as Dagon. All Howard has are his book, his charm and his “Spot”.

It's a fun and clever tale well told with strong art and peril that feels authentic and real. There is betrayal and sacrifice, and a few things are NOT WHAT THEY SEEM. Brown cleverly weaves elements of the Cthulu Mythos into Howard's adventures. Podesta's art is striking throughout the book, the figure of Howard ever a classic storybook figure as the frozen kingdom around him grows more impressionistic and fierce.

Brown and Podesta create true menace and scary monsters that challenge Howard and move the story along with page turning excitement. I don't have children, but can tell you I would have loved this book myself as a kid. Heck, I thoroughly enjoyed it as a supposed grown-up! This is “Where the Unspeakable Wild Things Are,” with no guarantee that dinner will still be warm! Brown doesn't coddle his all ages audience. The book finishes strong and true to its subject... without getting too grim. The book takes young readers along on a great, scary adventure, while it also rewards an older audience with Lovecraftian echoes that add depth and menace... and a few good laughs, too. The book's a winner – a real Halloween treat!

Again, it's coming in October, but order now to insure the book is released! You can pre-order Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom in PREVIEWS now, the Diamond Order Code is: OCT09 0688.
brucebrown

Postby Patrick on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Congrats on the strong reviews, Bruce.

I'm going to ask my local comic store to put me on the list for this.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby brucebrown on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks so much Patrick! Please let me know what you think of it after you read it!
brucebrown

Postby LauraK on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:49 pm

I was going to post the reviews then figured I'd better let you do that, lol.

It sounds great....the opening made me want to keep reading! The art looks pretty fantastic as well- I"m definitley asking my comic guy to order this for me. :)

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Hey Bruce...I found out that my comic book store isn't getting it until January, but they said they'd put a copy aside for me. I'm really looking forward to it! I can't believe that no one ever thought about H.P.'s childhood before now! I certainly wonder about it...but of course I still have the nature vs. nurture argument raging in my head. It could be that he was just born with an AMAZING imagination!

Betsy_Boo

Postby brucebrown on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks Laura K! There has been several other reviews and they have all been glowing!
I am very excited to hear what people think of the book, so please let me know your thoughts
when you read it!
brucebrown

Postby brucebrown on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Hey Betsy_Boo!
Unfortunately you are right and Howard isn't being released till January 6th.
But that will be here before you know it. I think most people who I have talked with
about the book always seem a little taken back by an all ages Lovecraft story because it
seems like such an odd take on Lovecraft. But truthfully it seemed to make sense to me
for some reason.
I am really excited to hear what you think of the book!
brucebrown

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:39 pm

I think it is a very original idea, bruce. After all, Lovecraft WAS a child...and it will be interesting to see your ideas on what that childhood might have been like. I promise to let you know what I think! :)

Betsy_Boo

Postby brucebrown on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 pm

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! I was worried when I wrote it reaction from Lovecraft fans because this was a huge departure from anything. I wasn't sure how they would take my version of young Howard.
brucebrown

Next

Return to Comics