The Dark Tower series

See you in the funny pages...

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:14 am

LK, no, I read each and every Green Mile as it came out. I really enjoyed the installment process and it did give me something to look forward to each month.

I did not read The Dark Tower series until they were all published. I think I did that about a year and a half, 2 years ago.

But, as my brain is curdling, I find it harder to hang onto the storyline from month to month. So, I'll just wait.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:20 am

You can say it all you want but we can tell your brain is sharp as a tack and not curdling. :)

I don't blame you for waiting...I wish I could. I also am one who sometimes succombs to the need to look at the last page of a book. :shock:
I know! I know! It's terrible! I don't always do it.....i did it w/ Deathly Hallows only to see if the book ended with the word she'd said it would end with. It didn't. :P

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:47 am

LK! You are a end-of-the-book peeker? No, no, no, you can't do that. I will admit to SCANNING a book when I think someone is going to die and I sort of just look for their name in later pages. But, I don't read anything, I'm just looking for a name. It's not the same as reading the end of the book. No. No it's not.

No it's not.
Dana_Jean

Postby LauraK on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:09 pm

I do both, lol. DH got the quick-scan........Duma Key I didn't look!!
DT7?? Um...I admit to reading at least a paragraph.... :oops:

I know it's awful! Sometimes I can't help myself!

Lk

LauraK

Postby Patrick on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:43 pm

LauraK wrote:... Is there an absolute end for the DT comics? Does anyone know for certain how many arcs there are going to be?

LK
Unless the plan has changed, there are to be five Dark Tower comics story arcs totaling 30 issues in all, as follows:

1) Gunslinger Born - 7 issues
2) The Long Road Home - 5 issues
3) Treachery - 6 issues (starting in September 2008)
4) Name TBD? - 6 issues
5) Name TBD? - 6 issues

:)
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby LauraK on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks much, Patrick! :D

LK

LauraK

Postby Patrick on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:34 pm

No problem. :)

Off-topic for the Dark Tower books, but on topic for the author:

I assume you know that there are plans in the works to make a comic book series based on The Stand.

Patrick

Postby Shane on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Dana Jean wrote:I will admit to SCANNING a book when I think someone is going to die and I sort of just look for their name in later pages. But, I don't read anything, I'm just looking for a name. It's not the same as reading the end of the book. No. No it's not.

LauraK wrote:I do both, lol. DH got the quick-scan........Duma Key I didn't look!! DT7?? Um...I admit to reading at least a paragraph.... :oops:

I know it's awful! Sometimes I can't help myself!

Wow, you two.

Ya' see... *this* is another reason why audio books are sometimes the best way to enjoy a story. You can't cheat-ahead!
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Patrick on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:09 pm

I agree completely, Shane. No skimming, no peeking. I love a good audiobook.

Patrick

Postby Shane on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:26 pm

Patrick wrote:I agree completely, Shane. No skimming, no peeking. I love a good audiobook.

Absolutely, Patrick. I guess you technically *could* skim ahead, but it would be such a crapshoot, it would never pay off for the effort.

I've enjoyed a couple of very memorable moments with audiobooks, one of which was an unforgettable instant with the Harry Potter books. It's an experience I probably wouldn't have been able to have had I just been reading the book, because in all honesty I think it's difficult to keep one's eyes in the right place. When something exciting happens (or, boring too, for that matter) the eyes seem to open up more and you can accidentally see something ahead or on the opposite page that you might not have intended to see. Now, Dana and Laura aren't accidentally seeing anything -- they're doing bad bad things! None of which could happen with an audio! :D
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Patrick on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:30 pm

Yes. Personally I hate spoilers, so I hate it when I accidentally read something ahead of time.

Clearly Dana and Laura each need a good spanking.

You know who writes great comics (to keep somewhat on topic) and books, and is a superb reader of his own audiobooks? Neil Gaiman. He is as good as, or better than, the professional reader/performers.

Patrick

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:36 pm

As bad as I've wanted to look on occasion I don't let myself. I remember when one of the HP books came out I had to let my daughter read it first and I had to spend that week with my fingers in my ears going "La, la, la" at work. I hate to hear the ending ahead of time...for the last book I bit the bullet and bought 2 copies. It just ruins a story (or movie) to know the ending ahead of time.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby LauraK on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 pm

I assume you know that there are plans in the works to make a comic book series based on The Stand.

Yes- and how cool will that be??? :D

Wow, you two.

Ya' see... *this* is another reason why audio books are sometimes the best way to enjoy a story. You can't cheat-ahead!

:oops: Hey now, I don't do it with every book.....sometimes I am compelled! "The power to cheat compels me!" Lol.

I also just realized that I have never listened to a virgin audiobook! I've always read the actual book first. Hmmm. Does that mean anything? I doubt it.

Oh wait....there was Blood and Smoke and of course, The Mist when it was first released. But that was it.

:shock:
Dana! He wants to spank us! Both!

*Whispers to Patrick:* "Will you give us some of your good tequila first?"
:P J/K!

LK

LauraK

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey...can I get in on that? :D
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby jodi on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:37 pm

Patrick wrote:Yes. Personally I hate spoilers, so I hate it when I accidentally read something ahead of time.

You know who writes great comics (to keep somewhat on topic) and books, and is a superb reader of his own audiobooks? Neil Gaiman. He is as good as, or better than, the professional reader/performers.

As you may have noticed, I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan. I LOVE to hear him read. That english accent, velvety voice...whew, I need to go take a cold shower now.
I heart
jodi

PreviousNext

Return to Comics