Watchmen

See you in the funny pages...

Re: Watchmen

Postby Paul_Campbell on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:15 pm

demorganakamark wrote:OMG...fox is trying to shut the movie down all together...how depressing.


Nah, at first I thought this was simply one company looking to screw another for free money. In other words, Fox were chancing their luck and it looked as if the judge was falling for it.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/u ... gal-peril/

However, looking further on the web, it appears it's Warner Bros who've dropped the ball and screwed the pooch. :roll:

So, yeah, looks like Warner Bros is gonna have to pay out to the tune of tens of millions.

Interestingly - and no one else seems to have picked up on this - at the exact same time Warner Bros announced they have moved Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to July next year, in order to take advantage of the higher revenues that a prime summer-slot yields.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Warner Bros has moved Harry Potter 6 in the hope of adding, say, $50 million to its domestic haul as a way of off-setting the amount of money they expect to lose on Watchmen to Fox.
Paul_Campbell
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:08 am
Location: UK

Re: Watchmen

Postby grasking on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:07 pm

Paul_Campbell wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:OMG...fox is trying to shut the movie down all together...how depressing.


Nah, at first I thought this was simply one company looking to screw another for free money. In other words, Fox were chancing their luck and it looked as if the judge was falling for it.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/u ... gal-peril/

However, looking further on the web, it appears it's Warner Bros who've dropped the ball and screwed the pooch. :roll:

So, yeah, looks like Warner Bros is gonna have to pay out to the tune of tens of millions.

Interestingly - and no one else seems to have picked up on this - at the exact same time Warner Bros announced they have moved Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to July next year, in order to take advantage of the higher revenues that a prime summer-slot yields.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Warner Bros has moved Harry Potter 6 in the hope of adding, say, $50 million to its domestic haul as a way of off-setting the amount of money they expect to lose on Watchmen to Fox.


I think there is an article on Comic Book Resources that confirms this.

How does Warner Brothers not get the movie rights to a graphic novel they published?
Image
grasking
 
Posts: 2409
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 pm
Location: northeast

Re: Watchmen

Postby Paul_Campbell on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:44 am

grasking wrote:How does Warner Brothers not get the movie rights to a graphic novel they published?


Over the course of the past two decades Warner sold the rights, then that person sold them to someone else, then that someone sold them to yet another party, etc. and by the time Warner bought them back it was a freakin' mess.

Either way, we'll see the movie next March. Warner Bros, though, will be crying in their beer by the time they get there. But, hey, from what I've read it's their own damn fault; should have paid off the $1 million Fox was due, as per the convoluted contractual agreement. As it is, Warner stands to lose tens of millions. But that's Hollywood for you - Warner thought they could play fast and loose and Fox slipped on in with a sliding tackle and tripped them up.
Paul_Campbell
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:08 am
Location: UK

Re: Watchmen

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Not a Warner BRos. fan, i take it...
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Re: Watchmen

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:52 pm

Well, LIONSGATE is one company that has been in the news with them throwing 'midnight meat train" under the bus..all because they are trying to be "legit" filmmakers...
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Re: Watchmen

Postby Paul_Campbell on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:56 pm

demorganakamark wrote:Not a Warner Bros. fan, i take it...


:?

A studio's a studio.

Don't think one way or the other about them. Neck, almost never notice which studio is behind a movie to be honest; favorite directors, actors or simply a good trailer is all I notice. As for the whole Fox/Warner mess I find it amusing... like I said, looks like Warner slipped up on this one!
Paul_Campbell
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:08 am
Location: UK

Re: Watchmen

Postby demorganakamark on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Paul_Campbell wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:Not a Warner Bros. fan, i take it...


:?

A studio's a studio.

Don't think one way or the other about them. Neck, almost never notice which studio is behind a movie to be honest; favorite directors, actors or simply a good trailer is all I notice. As for the whole Fox/Warner mess I find it amusing... like I said, looks like Warner slipped up on this one!

good point...you would think that they would plug up all the little holes that could leak out later..
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Re: Watchmen

Postby Paul_Campbell on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 am

The Fox/Warner legalese dispute explained:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/4980.asp
Paul_Campbell
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:08 am
Location: UK

Re: Watchmen

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Paul_Campbell wrote:The Fox/Warner legalese dispute explained:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/4980.asp

there are alot of greedy bastards in the world.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Re: Watchmen

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:29 am

"And in the blue corner...!"

Mark your calendar, 'cause here it comes: Fox and Warner battle it out on January 6th. You can bet all of Hollywood is gonna be following this one:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/09/ ... trial.html

Hey, I wonder if it's Fox who are distributing the upcoming movie How To Lose Friends And Alienate People! :lol:
Paul_Campbell
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:08 am
Location: UK

Re: Watchmen

Postby The_Fourth_Craw on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:14 pm

Read today that Watchmen gets released in March after a deal was done between Fox / Warner. :D
The Fourth Craw

Image
The_Fourth_Craw
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Watchmen

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Yep. IT seems tha the watchmen are coming
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Previous

Return to Comics


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest