Couldn't put it down

Joe's first novel.

Couldn't put it down

Postby heartlyreading on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks for a wonderful read!
I just finished the book and now have the awful let down you get after a good one.
Looking forward to more....
heartlyreading

Postby sybil on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:35 am

hey, heartlyreading....welcome to the board!
janis the joeker
sybil

Best read in a while...

Postby Achilles on Tue May 01, 2007 10:55 am

Wow, HSB is the best read I have had in a while! Spent much of the weekend on a bus to and from Tucson, and only vaguely remember the trip! As an avid and long time King reader, I was eager to check out Joe's work. AMAZING!! Words that bring forth pictures in the minds eye. I was explaining to a friend, that putting the book down was like walking away from friends in the middle of conversation. That strange feeling that if I put the book down, I might miss something. In a day and age where we can TiVo anything, HSB commanded my attention and 'pausing' was one of the more difficult things to do. GREAT JOB, JOE!!
Achilles

Postby cblrdy on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:11 am

I just picked up the book yesterday for no particular reason, maybe it stood out the right way. And spent today hiding from everything just to read it. Like any good book I didn't want it to end. I hope there's more coming and will keep an eye out.
cblrdy

Postby sybil on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:20 pm

hey cbirdy...welcome to the board!
janis the joeker
sybil

I couldn't agree more

Postby K2deI2deM on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:24 pm

I picked this up at the grocery store on an impulse, and was completely enthralled from the first page. Jude and Marybeth are the most compelling characters I have encountered in a very long time. Finally, an unique story told in a fresh voice. I will read whatever Joe Hill writes in the future!
k2deI2deM
K2deI2deM

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:54 pm

hey K-lotsa-letters-and-numbers! welcome to the board. isn't that the best book? i'm ready for a reread, i think.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:04 pm

sybil wrote:hey K-lotsa-letters-and-numbers! welcome to the board. isn't that the best book? i'm ready for a reread, i think.

Welcome K!

And it's funny, sybs...I was thinking the same thing last night as I was going through my sadly small "to-read" pile. Everything looked disappointing and I thought, I should just re-read HSB!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:08 am

well, i finished the reread of 2CG, so i brought HSB with me today. and it's the signed UK version, no less. see, i wasn't lying when i said i read my collection...it's not sitting in some hermetically-sealed glass box, not catching dust. i read my personalized signed copy of the US one, the first time through.

reminds me...i almost dropped my personalized 2CG in a sink of running water yesterday! YIPES!
janis the joeker
sybil

Couldnt put it down

Postby Jude on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:28 pm

A riveting read! By far the best book Ive read in a long time - I went in there thinking I would be hearing his dads voice through his work , but Joe has shined/honed himself with an original style and unique voice of his own and the portrayal of craddock and Jessica where monstrously disturbing - my next port of call is definatly 20th century ghosts :twisted:
I am stretched on your grave and will lie there forever,
If your hands were in mine, I'd be sure they'd not sever,
My appletree, my brightness 'tis time we were together,
For I smell of the earth and am worn by the weather. "
Jude

Couldn't put it down!

Postby liswat on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Picked the book up by a whim. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down and read it in one day. Enjoyed the charachters Jude and MaryBeth. Was wondering if he might do a sequel so we see what the characters like Reese, do late? Was wondering if she would interact with Jude and MaryBeth? Absolutely loved the book.
liswat

Postby sybil on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:00 pm

he liswat - welcome! glad you found the board!
janis the joeker
sybil

Re: Couldn't put it down

Postby andrewk on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:16 am

A friend of mine recommended this book in April - "I'm reading this book called 'Heart-Shaped Box'. You know what? It reads like old Stephen King." I thought the name sounded familiar.

Anyway, bought the book, read it, read it again, loved it. Getting hold of 20th Century Ghosts ASAP.

Awesome book, dude. Rock on.
andrewk

Postby sybil on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:47 pm

hiya andrew! welcome to the board! check out our "20th century ghost" forum when you're done.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:18 pm

Welcome andrew...what sybil said plus check out Locke & Key as well! :)
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Return to Heart-Shaped Box