Finished it!

Joe's first novel.

Finished it!

Postby imasmf on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 am

Was on chapter 17 when I left work sat morning and finished it in the wee hours of sunday morning! All I can say is WOW! I loved it! It reminded me so much of Kings earlier works which I must say I miss as he's branched out. I felt the same way when I finished HSB as I did when I finished Carrie & The Shining! I just hope he can start putting them out as fast as King because I can't wait for his next one!!!
imasmf

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:32 am

You know, I kind of felt that way, too after I finished HSB. I suppose now that it's common knowledge who Joe is, it's impossible not to compare the two. But after reading 20thCG I'm really getting a good sense of the differences between them as well. I love both of them as authors. SK has always had for me this underlying, barely controlled passion that I enjoy. Joe's stories have a subtle sweetness that touches my heart. A lot of them really make me think about them for days after. I am speaking in generalities here, but when I fall in love with a book it is because of how I react to it emotionally. I remember once someone asked me why I love SK's books so much and without a thought I automatically said, "It's because of the love I find in them." And that's one of the main things Joe has in common with his dad.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby imasmf on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Thats a good way to put it! i think for me it's if a book makes me live in its world while I'm reading it. With the early King stuff and with HSB and a few other authors I like it's like when I'm reading them the book is my world. The people become people I know and when I'm not with them I worry about them and hope they're ok, I can't wait to hurry back and check on them.

Thats when I know a book or author has "got me"
imasmf

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:03 pm

imasmf wrote:Thats a good way to put it! i think for me it's if a book makes me live in its world while I'm reading it. With the early King stuff and with HSB and a few other authors I like it's like when I'm reading them the book is my world. The people become people I know and when I'm not with them I worry about them and hope they're ok, I can't wait to hurry back and check on them.

Thats when I know a book or author has "got me"

You know, that's true for me too...I love a book that transports me away to the point where reality disappears. I think that's why I tend to avoid any book that is remotely like real, modern life. I love to escape...a good book is like holding a little vacation in your hands.

Betsy_Boo

Postby imasmf on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:29 am

exactly! Funny I was talking to my mom today about vacations and we were saying how it's kind of the american expectation to pack up the family every year and take a vacation and wondering how people afford it. I dont think I've taken a real vacation since about 95 so maybe the books are my vacation.

I'm gonna start paying attention and see if people that don't read for pleasure take more vacations then the book people. I'm betting you hit on something!
imasmf

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:16 am

I took a vacation last September to the Outer Banks and it was the first one I've had since 98. That one was to take the kids to Disney World, and at the time we lived only an hour or so away so I don't really count that. The one before that was in 85. So maybe we have hit on something. People who read don't really need them as much as people who don't.

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:16 am

i love that "a vacation in your hands."

when my hubby was having some really scary surgeries (carotids, then hemorrhage and emerg. surgery to fix that, and a week later a quadruple bypass) i of course had a book with me in the waiting room. his family was all, "how can you read at a time like this?" i said, "how can you NOT?!" why would i sit there discussing either mindless shit like the weather, or how dire his circumstances were and have the time drag, when i can escape (well a little bit, it's harder at a time like that) and at least have the time go a bit faster? it's not like i can do anything for him while he's in OR.

i don't understand people who don't read for pleasure.
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:44 am

Me too, syb. And another thing I've noticed about people who read is that generally speaking they are nicer than people who don't. That may not be a fair assessment but I've work in several different kinds of retail and the bookstore customers are hands down the nicest. The worst was a tie between those in the women's wear dept. and restaurant customers.

I love that "How can you not?" Exactly!

Betsy_Boo

Return to Heart-Shaped Box