First Edition...

Joe's first novel.

First Edition...

Postby val04463 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:44 am

Anyone remember them? Kenny Rogers and that hot Chick with the Cool Shag hairstyle..Actually I think she and Kenny had the same hair cut..but I regress.

I have a copy of Heart-Shaped Box that says:First Edition..so is this a "Real" First Edition or are there "Firster" First Editions? I want to make the book I use for my PAWS Animal Shelter Fundraiser as valuable as possible...Also

2. Stupid Question #2--Is my Old paperback Copy of 20th Century Ghosts worth having signed or should I get a hard Copy along with the one I get for the Shelter? Or would a bundle with 3 books..The Two hard covers AND the paperback be a good buy.

I love Joe's work dearly, but I am not a saver, I live for now and I spend every spare penny on my Strays, so I am willing to put together what ever bundle will fetch the most money!!

Help
!
val04463

Postby LauraK on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:14 am

Anything you have that Joe has written- get signed. :) Just be sure to keep something for yourself! I like your cause....hope you can get $$$ to use for the animals you help.

Other than that, Joe or Shane can help you re: First ed. (Or anyone with more book-knowledge than I have, lol!)
I thought if it said First Edition, then that's what it was. ?? I've been wrong too many times to stick to that, tho. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Shane on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Val,

If you have a book that states it's a First Edition, then you've got yourself a real first edition of the book.

It seems like such an easy thing - that term, "First Edition" - but it's gotten a little confusing over the years. There are a couple of ways you can tell about your book though, should you be interested in a somewhat longer explanation:

You should be able to tell the edition by looking at the book's copyright page (CP), where it will either explicitly state "First Edition" there on the page, or will denote the printing by a series of numbers somewhere, usually near the bottom. That will usually look like one of these:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

All of those separate strings denote a first edition product -- the key to reading them is the numerical line contains a #1 in it. If you had a second edition, for example, it might look like this:

2 4 6 8 9 7 5 3

Using Joe's books as a reference for a moment; the newly released version of 20th Century Ghosts says on the CP that it's a "FIRST U.S. EDITION" as well as showing the number line on the bottom - "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" which would tell you all you needed to know. Of course, it says at the top of the CP that it's been previously printed, too... but not all books will say such a thing. Looking at PS Publishing's copy of 20CG, it says "FIRST EDITION" right at the top of the CP.

I'm not going to get into limited editions, galleys, ARCs, or anything like that, because I've probably already written too much as it is! And, none of those versions really trump the stuff I've just told you anyway.

Hopefully this helps. :)
Shane
Site Admin

Postby Janice on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:05 pm

It's a good thing that I don't collect editions of books. As soon as I saw those rows of numbers, my eyes glazed over and I had the urge to vacate this thread ASAP.... :roll:
*A sobering thought: What if, at this very moment, I AM living up to my full potential?

Janice

Postby Shane on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Hmm, well, I thought that might have been too much. Here's the Cliff's Notes version:

Look on the copyright page of the book, if it says First Edition, you've got one! There are no pre-first editions of books.

Voila!

Shane
Site Admin

Postby val04463 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Thank you soo much Shane!! I get it..I really get it!!

I'm gonna spend the rest of the night looking inside my other books!!

:lol:
val04463

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:52 pm

First editions are cool. I found out a few years ago that I had a first edition of THE STAND which thrilled me to death. The only problem is, I read it so many times that the book jacket fell apart and I don't suppose there's any way of getting a new one. It's ok I guess. I would never want to sell it anyway, but I really wish I had been more careful. That's the up-side of doing the canvas covers with no book jacket. Good thinking, Joe.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Barry_Wood on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Excellent cause, Val: PAWS Animal Shelter Fundraiser. I hope you get a lot of money for this fundraiser.
Barry_Wood

Postby val04463 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:07 pm

Me too..to be able to combine my two passions for 1 cause really is amazing!! This will be so fun!
val04463

Return to Heart-Shaped Box