Heart Shaped Box

Joe's first novel.

Heart Shaped Box

Postby syruscleat on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Dear Mr. Hill:

I’ve read “Heart Shaped Box,” and I must say it was absolute, fantastic writing; story telling at its best! It seems you have a touch of both your parent’s skill and style. It’s intriguing the way you hook your reader into the story and keep pulling them inward to the end, along with your ultra-polished style of writing. Utterly amazing! Each time I thought: “No, he should have done this or that,” within a page or two you reveal what I was thinking, as if to say “I’m always one step ahead of you, although I may seem one step behind” which is the mark of a great writer. After having read that story, I must get my hands on a copy of “Twentieth Century Ghosts!” I will surely read your next novel, and the next, if it is anything like the last one. Keep up the good work! Wow Joe Hill, write on!

Loved the little girl ghost Ruth, especially when Jude saw her in Bammy’s yard blowing seeds off the dandelion nub and how you described their blue glow in the evening air. It gave me chills, along with how she’s saved almost every time, but not quite. (I write stories too). Brilliant! Great job! I couldn’t put that goddamn book down unlike any other book I’ve read!
syruscleat

Postby jenrob on Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:55 am

I'm reading it right now and so far I like it. Great writing.

Jennifer Robins
supernatural, paranormal books
jenrob

Wow!!!

Postby Zuzu29 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:58 pm

I picked up this book simply because of the reviews on the back, which made me say "Wow" out loud in the bookstore. I had never heard of you as an author or the book. I got the book Saturday night and was done by Sunday. I enjoy reading, but usually it is just however many pages I can finish at night before I fall asleep. Sure, I've read books recently that I've liked. But it's been a long time since I felt like I was in a 'trance' reading a book, and just couldn't stop. My eyes couldn't soak up the words quick enough to find out what happened next. It really refreshed my love and interest in reading. It actually did remind me of reading for the first time books by another favorite author, so I was not surprised when I discovered the connection. But your truly a talent in your own right. Thank you for such a gem. I can't wait to read the next one!

Cheers and best wishes

Susan
Zuzu29

Postby LauraK on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Welcome, ZuZu. Lovely review for H-SB. :) Wasn't it the greatest?? Now you can join those of us who don't own it yet in Nov (I believe) when 20th Century Ghosts is released here. It's been available in the UK and you can still get it online. There are lots of threads here about it if you're interested.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Just read HSB

Postby booboocraig on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:51 am

I have myself just finished HSB it didn't take too long to read due to the fact I couldn't put it down. I have read many horror books but felt I needed something that just overstepped all other writers and I must say I found it in HSB by Joe Hill.
I was gripped from the start the book was intense and I could imagine and also feel what Jude and Marybeth were going through. Such a long tiring journey and so many hurdles but with a happy outcome.
Such great imagination and writing I hold my hands up with praise to a fantastic author Joe Hill.

Can't wait to read more! :twisted:
booboocraig

AWESOME BOOK!!!

Postby EnterSandGirl on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:05 pm

I just finished Heart Shaped Box. This truely is one of the best ghost stories I have ever read! I love how you get sucked into the story right from the beginning. Loved the non stop action, twists and turns. The revenge aspects of the book (used car salesman) was awesome! Like many others have posted, I could not put the book down. I am eagerly waiting for more work from Joe Hill.
EnterSandGirl

Postby Samoa_Girl on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:27 pm

Welcome EnterSandGirl!! Enjoy the message board. There are a bunch of great people here.
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 pm

ESG, welcome to the board. We do not offer turn-down service, but we do sincerely wish you a wonderful stay.
Dana_Jean

Postby KingoftheHill on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Welcome noobies!!! 8)

Living easy, living free, season ticket on a one way ride... - Bon Scott

The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile. It turns me on to think of growing old. - John Denver
KingoftheHill

Great Reading!!

Postby Adriandrea on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:11 am

:D Hi!

I just finished reading "Heart Shaped Box" ("El Traje del Muerto" in spanish.......) and thought: "I have to congratulate this Joe or else I'd receive the visit from a Craddock or someone!", and so, here I am. The book was fantastic and I must say that it has been quite a while since I've read a book non-stop, in just three days (home-work takes time off, you see...). At first I thought there were a few "Dad King" flashes, here and there but, later, I discovered a completely different style. First of all, the many and short chapters, something I truly like. It makes things feel like in a movie, very fast-paced and graphic. Secondly, the short paragraphs, with few words and many dots. I also like that.
It seemed to me like a faster going, more to-the-point version of his father, something rather fitting in these years......... I loved it, Joe, keep up the good job and write something new soon!. Thanks!!!!
With love from the really deep south,
Adriana Andrea Garzon
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Adriandrea

Postby Dana_Jean on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Hey A, welcome to the board.
Dana_Jean

Postby Allen on Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:33 pm

I just finished section one of Heart Shaped Box. This is one tough book to set down. I am so thankful I took time to check out book from library. I have a feeling I am going to be up late tonight reading novel.
Allen

Return to Heart-Shaped Box