Heart-Shaped Box

Joe's first novel.

Okay, so I'm a hopeless dork who has no life... *SPOILERS*

Postby Janice on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Bought HSB at about 2:00, just finished reading it. Y'know, I kinda pride myself on being this badass soldier who keeps her military bearing and composure *most* of the time, but joe had me crying like a little girl with a skinned knee.

I'm actually kind of embarrassed at how moved I was by it. So yeah, on it's surface it's a horror novel. But I do volunteer work at a rape crisis/battered women's shelter, and I come across these lost souls, these fragile women-children every day. When most writers create a similar character, they're heavy handed with the tragedy and hopelessness of their pasts. I've never even seen an attempt to portray these complicated women with the warmth and hope that joe accomplished, first time outta the gate.

And the scene with Jude's dad, before he gets all wonky...hell. Let's just say I have my own troubled past, and my father recently died. Joe was spot-on.

Looks like now I have to order his other works and force all my friends to buy their own copies. Long live word-of-mouth advertising.
Janice

Heart Shaped Box

Postby chef2b on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:30 pm

It took me less than 3 hours to read the entire novel...awesome book. Characters and story line complete. Just as engaging as my teenage years and the Stephen King novels that I devoured...Great Job!
chef2b

Postby aaron2010 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:26 am

I'm taking my time. I could easily be done with it today, but I don't want to rush it.

It's very good so far. The first 50 pages are a great setup and the writing is fantastic. I'm about 1/3rd through it.

Postby val04463 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:42 pm

I finished listening to it today..deep in the Maine woods while delivering mail from my van...I sobbed and sobbed..then relistened..then cried again. I LOVED the ending.....loved the whole thing..I want more......Oh wait..I still get to READ it!! Yay for me!
val04463

Postby Nerak on Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Yeah, it was a good cry!!!! Just be careful driving. I am sure that Joe doesn't want to be to blame for anyone accident!!!! LOL
Nerak

Postby aaron2010 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 pm

I can see the headline now.

"Hill's writing causes people to crash their cars."

:lol:

Postby Nerak on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:59 am

OH OH!!!! Val stop crying!!!!! :lol:
Nerak

Postby val04463 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:20 am

I just keep hearing the "Thump-Thump" of Angus' tail....

And if I did crash I would be going about 3 MPH...remember..I'm delivering mail and there or 500+ boxes on my 60 mile route..not much time to get my speed up!! And I have tons of Detroit steel between me and the Mailbox to Hell...At least I think Chevy Vans are still made in the USA..can't imagine the shipping cost if they aren't!!
val04463

Postby Nerak on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:06 am

That's good. At least at 3mph the only thing you would hurt would be the mailbox!! LOL
Nerak

Postby opiniongirrl on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:38 am

All I know is I bought the book with every low-life intention of reading it and returning it (Hey, I don't make enough money to buy all the books I want. Besides, I was going to feel guilty about it for a really long time.) But then I was up all night reading it and now I'm just mad there isn't more and I have to keep it and tell friends to buy it and write fan-mails and be a groupie and all like that.

What I DIDN'T know was the whole King connection until I found some loudmouthed reviewer online and why do people gotta go saying stuff that doesn't matter instead of just read the book and love it? Is that so hard? I did recognize the famous King trademark of making new words by just running two old ones into one another (nightroad) but I never thought anything of it except that HSB is better than anything the Master has produced lately. I ain't bein' mean, I'm just sayin.
opiniongirrl

HSB

Postby Samoa_Girl on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:35 pm

All I can say is WOW! I couldn't put the book down. I just wish there was more, it didn't take long to finish. Every time I wanted to stop, I kept telling myself, "just one more chapter." It was great and I can't wait to get the next one out. I do have to say if it weren't for Good Morning America, I probably would have never even thought so much as to buy it! Good job Joe, and I look forward to the next.
Samoa_Girl

Postby Samoa_Girl on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:37 pm

opiniongirrl wrote:All I know is I bought the book with every low-life intention of reading it and returning it (Hey, I don't make enough money to buy all the books I want. Besides, I was going to feel guilty about it for a really long time.) But then I was up all night reading it and now I'm just mad there isn't more and I have to keep it and tell friends to buy it and write fan-mails and be a groupie and all like that.

What I DIDN'T know was the whole King connection until I found some loudmouthed reviewer online and why do people gotta go saying stuff that doesn't matter instead of just read the book and love it? Is that so hard? I did recognize the famous King trademark of making new words by just running two old ones into one another (nightroad) but I never thought anything of it except that HSB is better than anything the Master has produced lately. I ain't bein' mean, I'm just sayin.

Hey, don't feel bad, I was going to do the same thing! LOL Now I will keep it for a new collection. I have never read any of King's books so, I guess I have a lot of reading to do now.
Samoa_Girl

Postby aaron2010 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:04 am

The book keeps getting better as it goes along.

I'm glad you guys are going to keep the book. I don't think I could ever read a book with the intention of returning it afterward.

Postby sybil on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:03 pm

me neither, aaron. that's what libraries and advanced reserves are for.
sybil

Postby aaron2010 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Oh man, this book is creeping me out.

PreviousNext

Return to Heart-Shaped Box