Heart-Shaped Box

Joe's first novel.

Postby Patrick on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:52 am

Mercy wrote:Finally ordered my copy of HSB. Everyone pray for speedy postal delivery!

Neither sleet nor snow nor the dead of night... and all that. Hope it arrives soon, Mercy.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

Postby MadamMack on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:33 am

Excellent!
Yes, it's me!
MadamMack

Postby aaron2010 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 pm

It's really a great book. I will read it again soon. I'm sure it'll just as good.

Postby CorinaMarie on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:42 am

I thought this was a really fantastic book, I read it in just 2 days because I couldn't put it down! I hope Joe Hill puts out many more great books in the future. :)
CorinaMarie

Postby mayfayre on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:36 pm

i had every intention of reading just a bit of the book and finished it in one gulp. i have to agree that i didn't like the characters, at first, even danny wooten. the story seemed to grow along with the jude and georgia. they're relationship seemed very shallow at the beginning of the story-jude was cruel and georgia a petulant brat. i love the way details of their pasts, their character, etc were doled out like small bites of the richest treat. well done. 8) i do have to say that the scene in which juse woke in the night to find georgia watching that film, and the events that followed, was one of the most shocking things i have ever read-and that's saying something! 8)

btw, wooten is my paternal grammy's name and she has a nephew that answers to the name danny. interesting coinky-dink for me. :)
mayfayre

Postby Iris on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:37 pm

I must admit, I was impressed with the book. I read King for 20 years, and can see the influence. It's just nice he didn't try to profit off of the name
Iris

John Prine

Postby Frank_Wheeler on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:58 pm

You know you're on to something when you pick up the newest John Prine CD and a book you never heard of before and go home to read and listen to your new CD. Several pages into the story the novel writer tells you he is listening to John Prine in the barn. Too eerie, too coincidental for me. I thought this might have been some hidden camera, reality show or something.

HSB moves along well and is full of ghosts not nessecarily noted on the pages. Just ask John Prine. Look forward to another tale with a JJ Cale CD to go along with it.
Frank_Wheeler

Postby LauraK on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:41 pm

That's 8) , Frank.

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Narda on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:56 pm

I read it and I loved it. it was wonderful. I loved the use of the dogs in the stories though some parts made me shed a tear or a thousand.

I have to admit, the main reason I bought the book is because I'm a big King fan, and because my dear friend was going to the book signing and was going to get a signed copy for me. After reading this book, I will be on the lookout for whatever comes next. I will be rereading this one, as I do all the books that I really enjoy. I'm hoping next time I can sit and just read it, without distractions.
the little men who live behind my eyes... and scream directly at my brain... told me to tell you hello.
Narda

Postby rkintn on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:58 am

I am about half way thru HSB and I really love this story. I very briefly skimmed over a thread where there was some speculation about how much influence Joe's dad had over the story. Personally, I see a few echoes of SK but Joe's writing style is much more like his mom's style. Much grittier and real (maybe not the word I am looking for but gonna use it anyway) than SK. If you haven't had a chance to read any of Tabitha's books you should. Of course, you would expect his parent's writing styles to peek out since after all they are his parents and have had some influence in his life. But that said, I feel this book is ALL Joe. Now, I have to go and finish it.:)
rkintn

Re: Heart-Shaped Box

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:09 am

Samoa_Girl wrote:I have been checking with my local book stores and no where have I found one that carries the 20th Century Ghost book.

That's because it's British. (And a limited edition.)

It looks like the paperback is still available direct from the publisher,
PS Publishing.

Also, it might be slightly cheaper at Clarkes World, or Shocklines.com, or Dark Hollow Books, or Camelot Books if those places ever restock it.

Just don't buy 20th Century Ghosts from someone on eBay. An American edition will eventually come out, probably at the end of 2007, and it will be easy to find -- and much cheaper than a copy bought through eBay. (Amazon.com already has a listing for the American version.)
Paddedcell

Re: Heart-Shaped Box

Postby Samoa_Girl on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:13 pm

Paddedcell wrote:
Samoa_Girl wrote:I have been checking with my local book stores and no where have I found one that carries the 20th Century Ghost book.

That's because it's British. (And a limited edition.)

It looks like the paperback is still available direct from the publisher,
PS Publishing.

Also, it might be slightly cheaper at Clarkes World, or Shocklines.com, or Dark Hollow Books, or Camelot Books if those places ever restock it.

Just don't buy 20th Century Ghosts from someone on eBay. An American edition will eventually come out, probably at the end of 2007, and it will be easy to find -- and much cheaper than a copy bought through eBay. (Amazon.com already has a listing for the American version.)

Oh, I already checked ebay right after HSB came out and I wasn't about to sell my first born just for a book! :lol: I will just wait for it to be reprinted in October. Its right around my bday and should be a great present if I drop all the right hints. :wink:
Sometimes I get the urge to run around naked, but then I drink some Windex and it keeps me from streaking.
Samoa_Girl

Heart Shaped Box

Postby Dee777 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:55 am

I just finished it a couple weeks ago, and loaned it to one of my daughters, who read it in record time, and gave it back... and I loaned it to my OTHER daughter (#1's twin), who dove into it last night and got very little sleep. This I know because she called me at 7 a.m. today and woke me to rave about it.

I have to tell you, Joe, on behalf of myself and both my girls, it is the best read we have had in many, many months. And we read a lot.

We've been looking for 20th Century Ghosts, went to our local bookstore and were told they can't get it, something about being unable to get it on account of the publisher being small and some other crap...

My next place to look will be eBay.

Congratulations on the book, we are looking forward to many, many more!

Dee
Dee777

Postby LauraK on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:52 am

It's going to be published here is the US in Oct, Dee, if you can stand the wait! :D

I reallly want it, too, but the prices on eBay can get outrageous. You may still be able to order it from PS Publishing. Let us know if you're able to snag one at a good price.

Welcome, btw. :)

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Dee777 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks, Laura, for the advice! Any idea what month it will be available? Reason I ask is because I am driving to Vegas from up here in Canada next month, and plan on spending a couple weeks there.

After looking on eBay, I discovered that yes, I would have to be willing to give up my firstborn for a copy, but she wasn't willing to go...!
Dee777

PreviousNext

Return to Heart-Shaped Box