movie

Joe's first novel.

Re: movie

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:49 pm

GallowsPole wrote:There's a spoiler here!http://joehillfiction.informe.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=161#
Jeff Bridges is gettin' a little long-in-the-tooth to play Judas, I think (take ten years off and he'd be great!). Reconsidering Christopher Walken for Martin now, instead of Craddock, that whole-coming-back-from-dead scene with Martin would be awesome with that freaky face of his. I just gave myself a chill picturing Craddock crawling up out of his mouth.

Ooooo...that would work, too. I could see Walken as Martin or Craddock. But I guess if Jeff Bridges is getting too old for Jude the same would go for Kurt Russell. Jude is supposed to be fifty-something right? Honestly, movie stars don't age as quickly as we mere mortals do. Johnny Depp is forty something...how old is Russell Crowe? Is he old enough? You know, I saw Springsteen recently and you'd never know he was 60. He had the body of a 20 year old...he is still hot! I wish he'd trying acting...
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby GallowsPole on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:00 am

Bruce does have an amazing, expressive face doesn't he?. He "acts" all the time in his concerts, meaning he is "bigger-than-life" while on the stage (much bigger in fact, that personality can reach into the rafters of the largest arenas). If you haven't seen the DVD of LIVE IN DUBLIN, THE SEEGER SESSIONS you are missing a real treat.
Are you suggesting Bruce as Judas? Hmmmmmm, that might be a stretch, but it might be a challenge that Bruce would be up for too. (Now calm down people we're just playing guessing games here).
As for Johnny Depp, he brings a little too much "Depp-ness" to his work these days, I think. That meaning the character becomes more about Johnny Depp than vice-versa. Stephen King had a similar problem with Jack Nicholson playing Jack in The Shining.
That's why I still like Russell Crowe, he disappears more into the role. And he's "thicker", I picture Judas with a stockier build.
Now back to Craddock, I think somebody like Lance Henriksen or Stephen McHattie might suit that "suit" well. Both those guys creep me out.
GallowsPole

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:30 am

I totally get what you're saying about Johnny Depp...even when he's bad he has a sweetness about him that makes you sympathize with his character...with the possible exception of "Secret Window". Whoever plays Jude has to have the versatility to evolve, 'cause frankly in the beginning of HSB I don't much like the way he is. He of course becomes one of my all time favorite characters. Russell Crowe is very versatile.

I'll have to look up Lance Henriksen and Stephen McHattie...not ringing a bell right now.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 am

BTW, I looked up the ages of the actors people have mentioned...you may be right about Jeff Bridges...he's 60. I just liked him sooooo much in "The Fisher King"...he has that "evolving character" thing down. Kurt Russell is 57, Johnny Depp is 45 and Russell Crowe is 44.

Betsy_Boo

Postby GallowsPole on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:09 am

If you saw A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, Stephen McHattie is the older of the two psychos that get killed in the diner at the beginning. Lance played Bishop in ALIENS and has gone on to play various and sundry nut-jobs ever since.
Kurt Russell wouldn't be a disappointment to me if he was cast.
I agree, Jude is sort of a detacted prick at the beginning, perfect for a jaded Rock Star. His growth is brilliant making him a great anti-hero to hero type.
Russell Crowe is fantastic like that in 3:10 TO YUMA.
GallowsPole

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:51 pm

GallowsPole wrote:If you saw A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, Stephen McHattie is the older of the two psychos that get killed in the diner at the beginning. Lance played Bishop in ALIENS and has gone on to play various and sundry nut-jobs ever since.
Kurt Russell wouldn't be a disappointment to me if he was cast.
I agree, Jude is sort of a detacted prick at the beginning, perfect for a jaded Rock Star. His growth is brilliant making him a great anti-hero to hero type.
Russell Crowe is fantastic like that in 3:10 TO YUMA.

After I signed off last time I looked up Stephen and Lance and recognized them immediately...I think you nailed it with Stephen McHattie. He IS really creepy and would make an excellent Craddock. I can actually see him in the role in my mind...damn near perfect. And I LOVED RC in "3:10 to Yuma"...and that's saying something because he hasn't always been my favorite actor. I really see what you mean about the "anti-hero" thing.

Here's another actor to throw into the pot. I recently saw "Breach" with Christopher Cooper (he was amazing in that---loved him in "Adaptation" too) and was thinking he'd make a good Martin...he has the southern thing down.

Betsy_Boo

Postby sybil on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:23 pm

ugh! mchattie could do creepy!!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby GallowsPole on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:31 am

I often think of people in terms of what their animal counter-parts would be. For instance, Stephen McHattie is very reptilian to me (a lizard or snake comes to mind) and Russell Crowe is more bear-like and of course bears can be lovable or they can rip your face off.
McHattie's scaly charms would really bring Craddock to life and his voice has that sand-paper quality that is alluring and repulsive at the same time. He's a terrific actor and I've always wondered why his career hasn't flourished. He needs that "Tarantino" moment/role to prove himself. Craddock could be it, quick, call his agent!
GallowsPole

Postby GallowsPole on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:39 am

I don't know how to post a picture here but go to this link and see his photo there. It's like he's already in costume for Craddock.
http://www.northernstars.ca/actorsmno/mchattie.html
GallowsPole

Postby sybil on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 pm

wow - i think you may have nailed it there, gallows!
janis the joeker
sybil

Postby LauraK on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:17 pm

:shock: OMG. Just change that smile into an evil frown and he IS Craddock.

Perfect, Gallows. :twisted:

LK

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Postby Headcase on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Gary Oldman for Jude and Donald Sutherland for Craddock.
Headcase

Postby demorganakamark on Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Ben kingsley for craddock
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:08 am

Headcase wrote:Gary Oldman for Jude and Donald Sutherland for Craddock.

Ooo...didn't even think about Donald Sutherland. Another good one! He'd be great. I'm not sure about Gary Oldman, as much as I love him as an actor. I think I'd have to see him in make up and costume to buy him as an aging rock star.

Betsy_Boo

Postby daisy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:40 pm

Didn't even know there was going to be a movie - what a lot I'm learning here! - but if done well it will be wonderful, and though I would never have thought of it myself, I have to agree that Donald Sutherland would be a magnificently spooky Craddock. (Though that casting would ruin my schoolgirl crush on Sutherland, I would be prepared to sacrifice it for the sake of a splendid movie.)
daisy

PreviousNext

Return to Heart-Shaped Box