movie

Joe's first novel.

Re: movie

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:51 am

daisy wrote:Didn't even know there was going to be a movie - what a lot I'm learning here! - but if done well it will be wonderful, and though I would never have thought of it myself, I have to agree that Donald Sutherland would be a magnificently spooky Craddock. (Though that casting would ruin my schoolgirl crush on Sutherland, I would be prepared to sacrifice it for the sake of a splendid movie.)

Oh...me too! I have loved DS ever since "The Eye of the Needle"! He is great, even when playing a creepy character. Did you see "An American Haunting"?
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby daisy on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Ah, it was his appearance in the video for Kate Bush's 'Cloudbusting' that did it for me all those years ago. But yes, I have seen 'An American Haunting' and I did think of his performance in that movie when I agreed he'd be good for Craddock. Similar kind of theme to the role, similar hypocrisy and charm and underlying evil of the character... Heart Shaped Box will be a much much better movie though. Well, it had better be!
daisy

Postby Headcase on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:07 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:
Headcase wrote:Gary Oldman for Jude and Donald Sutherland for Craddock.

Ooo...didn't even think about Donald Sutherland. Another good one! He'd be great. I'm not sure about Gary Oldman, as much as I love him as an actor. I think I'd have to see him in make up and costume to buy him as an aging rock star.

I just think that the guy is so talented that he would be perfect for the role of Jude. Someone both charismatic and wearied by their troubles. I really see Oldman in that role.

Another one for Craddock, Clint Eastwood. Such a good actor, and him letting loose as a sicko villain would be something special.
Headcase

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:14 pm

Headcase wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:
Headcase wrote:Gary Oldman for Jude and Donald Sutherland for Craddock.

Ooo...didn't even think about Donald Sutherland. Another good one! He'd be great. I'm not sure about Gary Oldman, as much as I love him as an actor. I think I'd have to see him in make up and costume to buy him as an aging rock star.

I just think that the guy is so talented that he would be perfect for the role of Jude. Someone both charismatic and wearied by their troubles. I really see Oldman in that role.

Another one for Craddock, Clint Eastwood. Such a good actor, and him letting loose as a sicko villain would be something special.

Geez HC...You're good at this. You should be a casting agent! Clint Eastwood would also be good, although I'm leaning toward DS. I definitely think Craddock should be "larger than life" and both DS and CE could fill the bill. I wish there were more news about the movie. I check the web every now and then to see if there is any news but I haven't heard anything new. :(

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Ok, after reading EVERYONE's ideas I have this:

I was thinking Gary Oldman, just because he can transform into any character he's playing, and he's no longer Gary Oldman. But after reading the Jason Patric idea, I found this picture and it made me think he'd be great for the role - of course, I've loved him since Lost Boys!

I like that McHattie guy for Craddock, I think that's how I pictured him.

I have to think LOTS more on the rest of the cast. I'd like to get my own ideas, but after reading everyone elses, it's too hard. I'm gonna go away and think and come back :P
The devil's voice is sweet to hear.
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm

With that beard I can totally see Jason Patrick as Jude...especially if he grew his hair out some. Wow...I wish we fans could have some input into the casting. Wouldn't that be cool?

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 pm

Yep, that's how Jude will be in my mind now. At least until we see the movie! Maybe the casting people will read all of this and take it into consideration...who knows!

I'm all about the wishful thinking!!!
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby Learian on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi all!! I'm new to the board, sharing my first post with all of you. ( ::sniff sniff:: ::tear:: ::aww I'm having a moment:: ) I am one to have absolutely outlandish ideas. Bearing that in mind, when I first started reading "Heart Shaped Box", Jude formed in my head as, Robert Bartleh Cummings. Otherwise, better known as Rob Zombie. He just has that, dare I say it, Goth presence about him. Not to mention his affinity with the macabre.

HAve at it and let me know what you think :wink:
I want to embrace my desire to feel the rhythm,
to feel connected enough to step aside and
weep like a widow to feel inspired to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty to bathe in the fountain
to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.
Learian

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Learian! Welcome!

Rob Zombie certainly looks the part but can he act? I don't know that I've ever seen him act in anything...I did see "House of a Thousand Corpses" which he directed. I had to take a shower after.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Melissa on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, I don't think he acts much
Stephen King
Melissa

Postby This_Girl on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Yeah...I like the idea of Rob Zombie (pretty sure I said that somewhere in here before). I don't much about him. I don't know if he can act. I have heard him on Howard Stern twice and enjoyed him. He's smart and pretty normal, you know. Like Brian Warner (Marilyn Manson) they are pretty normal off stage.... Anyway, Rob (what I heard on the radio) was funny and a cool guy. I think he'd be a good Jude since Robgives the same kind of vibe....Like this "ooh spooky rock N roll persona" but regular old guy mad at paw lurks - sorry rambling big time.

Hi Learian. How's Cape Coral treating you?
Love your name. My daughter's name is Rian.
This_Girl

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:00 am

jude=older zakk wylde
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Learian on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:28 am

Aww Thanks for the love all, now I truly feel welcome (all warm and fuzzy inside).
Rob Zombie did act in "The Devils Rejects", and had a pretty crazy scene involving wearing a muder victims face(which his character cut off) ::crosses arms to rub biceps and rock back'n'forth, to make the bad men go away::

He can do that "Trying to hide that hint of a southern draw" thing quite well.
I just think he won't need to act THAT much really. Rob is Jude in my mind.

Although Demorganakamark has a point, Zakk would make a good Jude. Hands down my vote is definelty for Rob. Someone call his agent let's get goin on this lol.

And for the record Cape Coral is definelty NOT treating me well at all. I'm originally from Poughkeepsie NY....(where Jude DIDN'T want to travel to 45 min away from his farm house to deal with Danny Wooten). Lemme tell ya 32 yrs in the northeast you expect snow, or atleast cold, around Christmas. Palm trees with lights, although they are VERY amusing...it's just not Christmas. I can't wait to move back! No disrespect to any Floridians.

WOW that sounds like a rant .... LMAO SORRY
I want to embrace my desire to feel the rhythm,
to feel connected enough to step aside and
weep like a widow to feel inspired to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty to bathe in the fountain
to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.
Learian

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:42 am

I think I could get behind Rob Zombie as Jude since you put it that way. I'm sure he could pull off Jude in the first half. My only concern would be, could he pull off the major transformation that Jude has experienced by the end of the novel.

I have to say that when I lived in Florida I had the same issues about winter/Christmas. I love cold weather...at least here in NC. I've never lived further north than that so I don't know if I'd love it up there. They get a lot more of it and it lasts a lot longer. Right now I feel like I'm in the perfect place...I get the seasons and a little bit of snow every year. One of these years I hope we get a white Christmas!

Betsy_Boo

Postby nickijoecanuck on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:20 pm

I'm thinking for Craddock an actor that's a combo of Harry Dean Stanton, Gary Busey and Nick Nolte's mug shot:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/nolte1.html
LOL
nickijoecanuck

PreviousNext

Return to Heart-Shaped Box