The Ending : This thread could contain spoilers !

Joe's first novel.

Postby Dana_Jean on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:03 pm

edit.
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

dogs

Postby mylife4usk on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 pm

The death scene in Pet Sematary didn't affect me as much as it did until after I had my own kid. Now since owning my first dog(he's 2 now) do I understand how people can get overly attached to pets. He's very much apart of our family, we kid and say he's our 2nd son.
:) We had to put him in a kennel recently when we went on vacation and we(well, mostly me) were sick with worry, is he eating, is he warm enough, are they taking good care of him, what if he dies of loneliness??? etc. Anyway, he turned out fine. I'm going to be a complete mess when he dies, I just know it.

So, anyway...I know Jude was preoccupied with saving his own skin but shed a frickin tear, man! I dunno,maybe he was just a hardass. Like you said Betsy,some people just consider them possessions. The shows I see on Animal Planet where people mistreat animals to the point of malnutrition and disgusting conditions and even death is So damn sick. How can people be so cruel? :cry:
Joe Hill's, uh...#1 fan, CJ

"If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills."
Gregory House, Finding Judas episode
mylife4usk

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey DJ...You are NOT a freak. We lost our cat, Jesse in 2004. We had him for 20 years...the last 2 years of his life he was experiencing kidney failure and we had to give him subcutaneous fluids every other night for those last two years. Finally, he crawled under the sink and wouldn't come out to eat or use the box, so we had to make the decision. I still miss him and couldn't bear to get another cat. So what do we do? We get dogs....now we have 3. If you're a freak then I'm a freak. And thanks for the advice about calling someone. I'm going to keep the ASPCA's phone number in my purse from now on. I felt like a jerk walking away from that poor dog locked in the car.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby val04463 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:30 pm

If I see a dog left in A hot car here in Maine..many times the doors are unlocked,,so I get a big bowl of water and set it in the Driver's seat..the dog gets a drink and the driver gets a wet ass...My way of a kick in the ass..or arse to you British folks.
val04463

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:39 pm

val04463 wrote:If I see a dog left in A hot car here in Maine..many times the doors are unlocked,,so I get a big bowl of water and set it in the Driver's seat..the dog gets a drink and the driver gets a wet ass...My way of a kick in the ass..or arse to you British folks.

Thanks val...I think I'll keep some extra bowls in my car from now on, too!!!

Betsy_Boo

pets in cars

Postby mylife4usk on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:45 pm

Great idea, Val! But where do you find a bowl? Do you have one for emergencies in your trunk? I have one in mine for my own dog. :o I may have to try this trick, but only if the dog didn't bark as I walked up to the car.
I ain't getting my hand bit off! :P

I've noticed some pet owners leave their car running in the summer for the a.c. at least. But why even bring the dog? I mean really. :roll:

mylife4usk

Postby Dana_Jean on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:03 pm

edit.
Last edited by Dana_Jean on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:23 pm

Dear DJ...I know exactly what you're saying. Sometimes people come into the bookstore looking for a book about the loss of a pet and we never have any in stock. So I stand there and talk to them about it 'cause I know how it feels and they need an outlet. Someone should write a really good book about it, because there are a lot of us out here who don't know how to deal with it. Some people say, it's just a pet, but for a lot of us, those pets are family members. When you lose someone you love after 20 years it still hurts like hell, no matter what species he/she is. Gosh...I sound weird...sorry to be a downer.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:25 pm

PS...sorry if I got everyone off topic.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:26 pm

I was right there with you boo. My sorrys too.
Dana_Jean

pets

Postby mylife4usk on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:29 pm

Betsy Boo wrote:PS...sorry if I got everyone off topic.

Well,it's not necessarily off topic. We're trying to figure out why Jude didn't cry after his doggies died. I bet Granpa Joe from Willy Wonka would call him an inhuman monster! hehe

mylife4usk

Postby Dana_Jean on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Yeah Betsy Boo, we weren't that far off topic. Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry about your loss too. :(
Dana_Jean

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:55 pm

Thanks guys...do you think Joe will answer the question? Does anyone have a theory about why Jude didn't greive over the dogs? Could it have anything to do with the fact that he also kept a snuff film and allowed his wife to find it? And let her walk out the door without a fight? Attachment issues? Maybe a piece missing from his heart?

Betsy_Boo

Postby crescentmoon on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:52 pm

I loved the ending. Not only because it was happier, but because it caught me by surprise! I did not see it coming. I really did not.

Pets are a big big part of our family. The other day I just put our family dog Minnie to sleep. She eat that contaminated dog food. **shakes head** But yeah, I thought it was because of this happening in my life that he seemed a bit off with his dogs. I noticed it too.
crescentmoon

Postby Patrick on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:59 pm

Sorry to hear your pet was a victim of that, CrescentMoon. :(

As far as Jude not grieving enough, I felt he was too busy trying to save the lives of himself and his girlfriend, dealing with his inner demons, and the obvious outer one. All on very little sleep. I just didn't feel he had much time or space to deal with the grief.
"Open your mind to the endless possibilities of the human soul."
- Joe Hill, Heart Shaped Box

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
- Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are
Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Heart-Shaped Box