The Ending : This thread could contain spoilers !

Joe's first novel.

Postby Mercy on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:10 am

I really enjoyed the ending, a few chapters in I thought I had the end figured out (I do that alot with books and movies, and I was kinda right in that it envolved Jude's dad) so when a few chapters later what I thought was a key peice was destroyed it actually made me happy.
There were plenty of twists, and I was also dissapointed in Jude's reaction to the dog's death. When I thought about it though I realized that this is a guy who was raised in an abusive family, became extremely famous and thus didn't trust anyone around him except for his bandmates, whom he lost later, and was used to having women around only for as long as he wanted them. So yeah there were pretty major comitment issues. And he was kinda an asshole, and he liked it that way. Besides, would a mushy over caring Backstreet Boy have survived that???
Mercy

completely blown away

Postby debbiek144 on Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 pm

I have every Stephen King book he ever wrote and he has always been my favorite author. This book was like reading Stephen King back in the 70's. It was what I was missing and I will now have my own Joe Hill bookshelf. Unbelieveably great. I loved the fact that he put the dogs and their spirits in - so believable. And it scared me too. The vision of that ghost sitting in the chair in the hallway....fantastic. I will be first in line to buy anything Joe Hill writes.
debbiek144

Postby slothrop on Mon May 28, 2007 5:40 pm

i know i loved the book, because i drew out the last few pages for days. and when i did finish it i felt that feeling that you know no other book is going to replace it for a good while. damn and curse! sequel, now. finish it. hurry!
nothing is true, everything is permitted

slothrop

Postby LauraK on Mon May 28, 2007 5:54 pm

"Friends are the family you choose for yourself."
LauraK

Re: completely blown away

Postby Mike_Lowrie on Mon May 28, 2007 6:49 pm

debbiek144 wrote:I have every Stephen King book he ever wrote and he has always been my favorite author. This book was like reading Stephen King back in the 70's. It was what I was missing and I will now have my own Joe Hill bookshelf. Unbelieveably great. I loved the fact that he put the dogs and their spirits in - so believable. And it scared me too. The vision of that ghost sitting in the chair in the hallway....fantastic. I will be first in line to buy anything Joe Hill writes.

I agree as well but I feel that Joe writes at a much more blistering pace than his pa. The dogs beside Jude were the most memorable of all the characters in the book. Welcome :twisted:
No Comment!
Mike_Lowrie

Postby slothrop on Tue May 29, 2007 3:54 pm

LauraK wrote:Hey, Slothrop- check this out:
http://subterraneanpress.com/index.php/ ... -joe-hill/

:) LK

meh. sequels are never as good. :D

slothrop

Postby LauraK on Tue May 29, 2007 4:06 pm

I know......I'm hoping it was just a dream, lol. :)

Fun little read, tho.

LK

LauraK

Postby slothrop on Tue May 29, 2007 5:53 pm

absolutely. made me chuckle lots. tar for that 8)

slothrop

the end

Postby savage on Wed May 30, 2007 5:26 am

I loved the ending but honestly I really did not want to finish the book. I wanted it to continue and continue so I could keep enjoying it.
My theory on books is the same as my theory with music. If the book or song ends too soon and you find you want it to continue on then you have something pretty good. Proving my theory is Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' : 2 minutes and 47 seconds of bliss but I wish it would go on for 15 minutes more!! Or a book like Tortilla Flat which could have been a thousand pages and never bored me....
savage

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:14 am

Mercy wrote:I really enjoyed the ending, a few chapters in I thought I had the end figured out (I do that alot with books and movies, and I was kinda right in that it involved Jude's dad) so when a few chapters later what I thought was a key peice was destroyed it actually made me happy.

Did you think Jude was going to pull a THINNER and trick his dad into taking the suit?
Paddedcell

Re: dogs

Postby Paddedcell on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:40 am

mylife4usk wrote:I know Jude was preoccupied with saving his own skin but shed a frickin tear, man!

I think I prefer when the characters don't cry, at least in books.

In movies, watching an actor cry often makes the scene more sad, but in a book it just gets in the way. (It irritates me and actually distances me from the character instead of making me empathize.) I just want to read what happened to the character and pick up on the emotion that way.

If the scene makes *me* want to cry, I'll probably just assume that the character cried, without being explicitly told. (On the other hand, I might need to be told that the character didn't cry if that's the type of person he is.)

Jokes are a similar deal. If the joke makes me laugh, I just sorta assume the characters found it funny. Seeing the joke and then "Bob laughed" kinda interferes somehow. I just need the joke, unless something counterintuitive happens -- e.g., it's funny but the character is offended. That should be stated.

This probably made no sense to anyone... oh well. :)

Anyway, as far as Jude not grieving for the dogs, I think there was an element of shock. He wasn't a total hardass. The facts just didn't sink in.
Paddedcell

Postby Mercy on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Paddedcell wrote:
Mercy wrote:I really enjoyed the ending, a few chapters in I thought I had the end figured out (I do that alot with books and movies, and I was kinda right in that it involved Jude's dad) so when a few chapters later what I thought was a key peice was destroyed it actually made me happy.

Did you think Jude was going to pull a THINNER and trick his dad into taking the suit?

Well, not so much tricking him into taking the suit as burying the old guy with it once he died. A farewell 'hey old man, how about a nice suit to get buried in' sort of thing.
Mercy

Postby LauraK on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:57 pm

Oh! Now that would have been good! I didn't think of that. :)

LK

LauraK

Postby the_night_watchman on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:44 pm

joe_hill wrote:Craddock was completely reinvented as a character twice (his personal story was markedly different in that first draft).

That's interesting. Joe, would you mind revealing how Craddock was different in the earlier drafts, and what made you decide that Craddock as he appeared in the final draft worked best for the story as a whole?
the_night_watchman

Postby Mr._Hex on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:23 am

I thought that Heart Shaped Box ended perfectly.

~ Hex
Mr._Hex

PreviousNext

Return to Heart-Shaped Box