The Ending : This thread could contain spoilers !

Joe's first novel.

Postby LoZzA199 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:21 am

heyas,

i feel like a real dumbass asking this because no one else has. i loved the book i just dont get the ending..

SPOILERS...

Why did jude think that reese might not make it too where she was going. i had the same idea as marybeth, like why wouldnt she make it
if anyone can help me out with this one that would be great!
LoZzA199

Re:

Postby Lollipop4598 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Samoa_Girl wrote:I totally agree with you. I was on the edge of my seat with every page. I was very suprised by the ending too! I was pleased with it because it brought everything to a conclusion, not leaving you going "What the hell? What happened to...?"

I agree. I HATE open endings. If the reason tht a house is scary is that it just so happens to be a place where scary impossible stuff happens with no reason, then I feel like someone shouldn't have bothered telling me about any of it until they figured out why all of it started. This book made sense to the end. So many horror writers think that as long as they describe scary stuff and put in plenty of mood everyone will drop 100 IQ points and just accept that "stuff happens". I never read them again.
Lollipop4598

Re:

Postby Lollipop4598 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 pm

LoZzA199 wrote:heyas,

i feel like a real dumbass asking this because no one else has. i loved the book i just dont get the ending..

SPOILERS...

Why did jude think that reese might not make it too where she was going. i had the same idea as marybeth, like why wouldnt she make it

Excellent question. I never noticed that. Yeah...why wouldn't she?
Lollipop4598

Re:

Postby Lollipop4598 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Mercy wrote:I really enjoyed the ending, a few chapters in I thought I had the end figured out (I do that alot with books and movies, and I was kinda right in that it envolved Jude's dad) so when a few chapters later what I thought was a key peice was destroyed it actually made me happy.
There were plenty of twists, and I was also dissapointed in Jude's reaction to the dog's death. When I thought about it though I realized that this is a guy who was raised in an abusive family, became extremely famous and thus didn't trust anyone around him except for his bandmates, whom he lost later, and was used to having women around only for as long as he wanted them. So yeah there were pretty major comitment issues. And he was kinda an asshole, and he liked it that way. Besides, would a mushy over caring Backstreet Boy have survived that???

LOL. Yeah, a Backstreet boy would have survived. Hollywood is cut throat. I am pretty sure that all those people are tough, smart, and competitive as Hell. But wondered at that too. He did love the dogs, I am sure of it.
Lollipop4598

Re: pets in cars

Postby Lollipop4598 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 pm

mylife4usk wrote:Great idea, Val! But where do you find a bowl? Do you have one for emergencies in your trunk? I have one in mine for my own dog. :o I may have to try this trick, but only if the dog didn't bark as I walked up to the car.
I ain't getting my hand bit off! :P

I've noticed some pet owners leave their car running in the summer for the a.c. at least. But why even bring the dog? I mean really. :roll:

I bring my dog with me all the time. He likes it, and I think of him as a companion. I agree. It occurs to me that maybe the Kings just don't care about animals much. I noticed it in Locke nd key when Bode is allowed to take fireflies and stick them in a glass jar. Is that something you woud let your kid do?
Lollipop4598

Postby Shane on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Lollipop4598 wrote:I bring my dog with me all the time. He likes it, and I think of him as a companion. I agree. It occurs to me that maybe the Kings just don't care about animals much. I noticed it in Locke nd key when Bode is allowed to take fireflies and stick them in a glass jar. Is that something you woud let your kid do?

Sure. And, for the most part, nearly everyone I knew as a kid did it. Parent's always made us let them go soon after, but exploring nature and confining it for a while is probably a rite of many. I can't imagine all the ants, beetles, spiders, bugs, flys, wasps, butterflies, and fireflies I've snagged in my youth. But, I never kept them to kill them, or so long that they died as a result of no food or water... things like that.
Shane
Site Admin

Re: The Ending : This thread could contain spoilers !

Postby demorganakamark on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:16 pm

agreed
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:04 pm

I have to say, I did it too. Do you remember looking really, really closely at fireflies? It was a rite of passage AND one my first experiences with disillusionment. I had always thought fireflies must look like tiny little fairies close up. Boy, was I wrong...and I never tried to catch any again!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Diana_Nicolay on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:49 pm

I finished HSB a couple days ago. I loved the beginning...the middle...and the ending. I am relieved to have found an author who has peeked my interest again.

BTW..in my opinion....Obviously,... what happened to Jude was life changing. As the story unfolded he became more sensitive to his memories of Anna. Through all the chaos he started realizing that he was in love with Marybeth.
Marriage, vacations...5 years later Reese shows up out of nowhere. I understand why Jude is worried for Reese. For one, Reece reminds him of Anna.Not only because of her looks but the similarity of pasts. He feels guilty for not being there for Anna. Through the story he was upset for not realizing what Anna's stepfather had done to her...he felt guilty for sending her back to him. Like Anna, Reese was abused in her childhood..by the same people. He can't stand the thought of Reese out in the world by herself because maybe he feels almost as if he is a father figure to her. He wants to help her possibly because he didn't help Anna.
Page 350 ..."He had, untill then, been thinking of her as a young woman, but her kiss was the thoughtless kiss of a child.The idea of her traveling hundreds of miles north, with no one to look out for her,seemed suddenly all the more daunting.

"I wish I could have done something."

Great book Joe...I look forward to buying the next! :wink:
Wherever you go...........there you are.
Diana_Nicolay

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks Diana...wow! I can wait till we can discuss HORNS!
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re:

Postby Diana_Nicolay on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:28 pm

LoZzA199 wrote:heyas,

SPOILERS...

I just wanted to say that my post was a reply to this question...I forgot to quote it :roll:
Since I'm here again, I'd like to add that how I felt about the Jude toward Angus and Bon's deaths. I feel like Jude didn't have a second to take it in. On both of the days the dogs died, there was so much going on that he didn't have time to digest what had happened. I don't think that he only thought of them as possesions or protectors...I think he loved them, it was as close to love as he had ever known (besides love of a fan and before MB) He could have been in denial on top of it all.When Bon was shot, he had to leave ...run out of the situation..a finger shot off..a slashed face a little girl with a gun pointed at him... Page 287...he convinced himself Angus wasn't dead, that he would make a movement any moment now. He loved those dogs. :)
Diana_Nicolay

Postby Diana_Nicolay on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:Thanks Diana...wow! I can wait till we can discuss HORNS!

Me too! :D
Diana_Nicolay

Postby Diana_Nicolay on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:15 pm

I bring my dog with me all the time. He likes it, and I think of him as a companion. I agree. It occurs to me that maybe the Kings just don't care about animals much. I noticed it in Locke nd key when Bode is allowed to take fireflies and stick them in a glass jar. Is that something you woud let your kid do?[/quote]

It's wonderful that you love your dog...but to assume that an author(s) doesn't care for animals much because of something that they have written (that IS fiction) just seems loopy to me!
Catching fireflies as a child was a wonderful summertime passtime for me and my sisters & friends! We poke holes in the lids...throw some grass in the bottom ...then we would take turns holding each others jars....we would count who got the most..then we would let them go. I most definately have and will let my kids do this.

BTW, have you ever swatted a fly or killed a spider or ant? I personally like fireflies myself but by no means does one constitute as a dog. :roll:
Diana_Nicolay

Postby Diana_Nicolay on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:22 pm

The pets in cars post:*grumbles* again I failed to quote it right...I was responding to lollipop.
Diana_Nicolay

Postby grasking on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Diana_Nicolay wrote:The pets in cars post:*grumbles* again I failed to quote it right...I was responding to lollipop.

I find the quote button to be a useful tool, except when it says you can't quote a certain number of quotes within one post. Then I have to use my brain and me and my brain haven't been getting along lately.
Last edited by grasking on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grasking

PreviousNext

Return to Heart-Shaped Box