The Ending : This thread could contain spoilers !

Joe's first novel.

The Ending : This thread could contain spoilers !

Postby aaron2010 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:16 pm

After taking some time, I can say with some confidence that I love the ending. Some books can be sooooooo good, and then screw up the end. The Heart-Shaped Box was a crecendo of suspense. I was guessing all the way to the final pages. And I appreciated the hell out of it. I couldn't think of a better way to end it and was afraid I was going to be let down. But I wasn't. Great book. Great ending.

Postby Samoa_Girl on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:37 pm

I totally agree with you. I was on the edge of my seat with every page. I was very suprised by the ending too! I was pleased with it because it brought everything to a conclusion, not leaving you going "What the hell? What happened to...?"
Samoa_Girl

Postby aaron2010 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 pm

I don't mind an open ending, as long as it fits. Or an ending that ends in tragedy. But I really wanted a happy ending on this one. And I'm glad we got it.

HSB

Postby mylife4usk on Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:56 am

I was so expecting a sad ending. Thanks for a good one, Joe! But one question: Do you have a dog? Why do I ask that you say? Well....

I just wasn't feeling Jude's sorrow when Bon and Angus met their demise. I did like their ghosts coming back at the end, thump thump thump. But I expected Jude to let the new pups sleep in the house or in his bedroom. lol

I have a 2 yr old beagle that sleeps at the bottom of our bed,under our covers. He's not that big but thankfully we have a King-size bed. Well, that's probably TMI, right there. :)

Did I mention I loved this book?!
Joe Hill's, uh...#1 fan, CJ

"If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills."
Gregory House, Finding Judas episode
mylife4usk

Postby aaron2010 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:05 pm

I've got a yappy Pom. His name is Mr. Twiggs. After the South Park character. :P

Not really, he's not big enough to carry a big stick, so he only chases twigs.

Postby aaron2010 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Do you think Joe had written a different ending at some point ?

hey..joe

Postby mylife4usk on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:37 pm

aaron2010 wrote:Do you think Joe had written a different ending at some point ?

Let's Joe field that one! Where ya at, Joe? Where ya at?
Joe Hill's, uh...#1 fan, CJ

"If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills."
Gregory House, Finding Judas episode
mylife4usk

Postby joe_hill on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:32 am

There was a very different ending to the book at one time. But then again, there was also a somewhat different beginning. Every draft is a process of chucking some things out, and inventing some other things to take the place of what was discarded. Craddock was completely reinvented as a character twice (his personal story was markedly different in that first draft). Jude, strangely, was pretty much who he's always been since the first day I started writing about him...
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby val04463 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:43 pm

I loved the ending..caught me completly off guard...
val04463

Postby aaron2010 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:23 am

Thanks for the answer, Joe.

Im excited to read the ending.

Postby jackierdt on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:05 pm

I am on the 45th chaptper in the book and I am extremly anxious to finish the book. I am going home right after work and finishing it. I am looking forward to finding out the good ending you all are descrbing.
jackierdt

Postby ImBrocks3 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:06 am

I bought it a few days ago and finished it this morning, I have to say it was a great ending. I expected the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised the way it worked out.
ImBrocks3

Postby aaron2010 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:16 am

See, it's not just me. :)

Postby dwenglish on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 pm

I liked the ending. I was expecting nothing but gloom, doom and death at the end...but I'm glad there was light in those final pages.

Darrin
dwenglish

Re: HSB

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:41 pm

mylife4usk wrote:I was so expecting a sad ending. Thanks for a good one, Joe! But one question: Do you have a dog? Why do I ask that you say? Well....

I just wasn't feeling Jude's sorrow when Bon and Angus met their demise. I did like their ghosts coming back at the end, thump thump thump. But I expected Jude to let the new pups sleep in the house or in his bedroom. lol

You know, it's funny, but this was something that bothered me a lot, too. I made a lot of excuses for Jude not being upset about the dogs...first, that he had all he could do to keep himself and MB alive at the time. Second, there are some people in this world who see dogs as just dogs. In my house, they become members of the family in every sense of the word. But I know there are some people out there who don't feel that way. Just tonight I was leaving a restaurant with my take-out order and there was this poor dog locked in a car barking and howling while (I assume) his owners were inside enjoying a nice meal. I really wished I could've called someone and reported them, but didn't know who to call. I think Jude is just one of those kinds of people, who see dogs as possessions rather than beloved ones. That may be why I didn't like Jude as much as I wanted to...
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Next

Return to Heart-Shaped Box