The Last Sentence Of HSB

Joe's first novel.

The Last Sentence Of HSB

Postby Tressor2 on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:42 pm

What did Joe mean when he wrote the very last sentence in the book, "Goodnight, Shreveport"?

Did I miss something? Someone please s'plain it for me.

Thanks, y'all.
Tressor2

Postby Paul_Campbell on Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:39 am

Can't speak for the US edition, but in the UK edition the last line of the acknowledgments page reads, "Good night, Nottingham!" a clear reference to Joe's recent visit to Nottingham, England where he attended FantasyCon and was awarded the British Fantasy Society Award for Best Collection for 20th Century Ghosts and Best Short Story for "Best New Horror".

I assume the line in the US acknowledgments is a similar in-joke tipping of the hat by way of saying Thank You! to a group of people.
Paul_Campbell

Postby ShmuelShubiak on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 am

In the german Version (which i just finished reading an hour ago) it says "Good night, Wacken!"

Which is a very big metal festival here in northern germany ... you should check it out ;) They just released a documentary about it in cinemas called "Heavy Metal Village" ... 1600 Townspeople have about 60,000 Metal there each year, lots of fun. I like the thought of joe hanging out there - guess he'd love it ;)
ShmuelShubiak

Postby kithereal on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:55 am

Shreveport ,Louisianna.
Judas was born Loisianna ..
Concerts are often ended with "Goodnight balankety blank"
well.... to me it represents Judas finding home
KIT
kithereal

Re: The Last Sentence Of HSB

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:23 pm

That is so cool! Thanks Shane...I don't recall seeing this thread. Very interesting. How many languages has HSB been published in? Apparently Joe has a different acknowledgement for each edition.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Re: The Last Sentence Of HSB

Postby This_Girl on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Oh, this is old?
I was going to say the same as "Kithereal" - you know at the end of concerts they say "Goodnight, Boston!". I thought it was his farewell. His "The End" :)
This_Girl

Return to Heart-Shaped Box