a few typos in Horns

The devil is in the details.

a few typos in Horns

Postby pegleg on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:29 pm

I found a few typos. But I don't like to broadcast these publicly. Is there an email for Mr. Hill?
(I also proof for CD, Ed Lee, and JF Gonzalez, among others).

Pegleg
pegleg

Re: a few typos in Horns

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:26 pm

pegleg wrote:I found a few typos. But I don't like to broadcast these publicly. Is there an email for Mr. Hill?
(I also proof for CD, Ed Lee, and JF Gonzalez, among others).

Pegleg

What a dream job! Proofreading for authors. How does one get that kind of work?
You can send Joe a private message through this here board. If you can't do that you could pm the Webmaster, Shane.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby joe_hill on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Pegleg,

You're welcome to send me a private message. It's always possible to correct a goof made in the first printing, although often the corrections don't make it to press until the trade paperback.
joe_hill
Site Admin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:37 pm

You know, Joe...I'm sure you know a lot of first runs have one or two typos. I hope you don't feel bad about it. It's really not a big deal. I guess the thing that kind of interests me about it is, considering how many folks read a book before it comes out, it's pretty amazing that they are not all caught. Sometimes I wonder if the goof is made at the printing stage.
But honestly, I've noticed it happens often.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:41 pm

In fact, I have wondered about pointing out typos and mistakes. I read the ARC of THE MONSTERS OF TEMPLETON and noticed a pretty major error regarding time frames. I went back and forth about contacting the author about it and finally decided not to. I guess it goes back to when Hubby and I were first married. He asked me to proofread his writing and even though I was as kind as I knew how to be, he got really, REALLY mad at me.

Betsy_Boo

Postby pegleg on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 am

Betsy_Boo,
You really should contact any authors when you find typos. They love to get that info, for later editions, etc. Just try not to do it publicly. I've always enjoyed doing it and once, in a book on Trees of North America (Thomas S. Elias was the author), I discovered a major error on a range map. He wrote back to me and said none of the 18 proofers caught that one.

I began doing horror for authors of online stories. Ed Lee's The Bighead was my first major author and I was sure he'd say "who the blank are you?" But he was very kind and appreciative--he was getting ready to finish the second edition, so he incorprated some of the changes, and ever since, I've proofed for him.

When I get home tonight, I'll check the typos I marked in Horns and send off a message to Joe.
pegleg

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Wow...you're saying that if I see an error in a book and I contact the author I might can wangle an actual job (paying?) out of it??? Or, are you saying you do this for free?

Betsy_Boo

Postby pegleg on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 am

For free to begin witth. If you want to be paid, Leisure occassionally looks for proofers but you have to know "proofers marks" to work for them. I find those confining, so I don't work for them. CD (Cemetery Dance) pays, but usually it's in books rather than money. Email me off list (strauss@email.wcu.edu) if you are interested. Authors usually send signed eds., plus I get to read the books in the first batch--with other proofers/editors/friends. One needs many proofers. Joe Hill might have had someone versed in morse code to check Horns, as an example.
pegleg

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:28 am

Hey PL...You should prob remove your email address from your post. You may get spammed up the wazoo. In the meantime, I'll grab it before you delete it. If it's too late to delete, PM Shane the webmaster and have him remove it. You're very kind and I don't wanna see you roughed up!

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 am

And thanks...I have to run right now but I'll email you tonight. You are super sweet! You know that is my dream job...well, after being a Broadway star! But it's a little late in the day for that... :(

Betsy_Boo

Return to HORNS