After 100 Pages - Boring!

The devil is in the details.

Re: After 100 Pages - Boring!

Postby Merrin on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Never mind Joe you really can't please everyone, i can't put in words how much i loved the book so please don't even consider changing your writing style! After letting some of my friends read bits of the Advanced Reading Copy i have they can't wait to read the rest!!!

I will see you in Nottingham!
Merrin

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 pm

davelinh wrote:Mr. Hill,

It's been said there is one thing worse than failure for a writer... success. Success can often lead to a belief that everything written is worthy of a Nobel Prize. Horns was marketed as a 'horror' book. Horror was the hook which never delivered. Combining horror and romance is fine but Horns is really two books... horror followed by romance and rarely did the two meet.

You're correct... you're not the writer for me. Unfornately, Betty_Bo probably only buys one book.

Please delete me from your 'adoring fans' database.

Wow...ok. You are being kind of rude DL. If you'd like I'll post a link to my GoodReads page where you will see I read all kinds of books. At least a book per month, usually more. I have almost 800 books listed. Yes, Joe is my fave which is why I joined this message board. But just because I love Joe's work doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood, Cormac McCarthy, Amy Tan, SK, John Irving...etc. I like all genres. I like fiction and non-fiction and I'm kind of insulted that you would make a statement like that about me without knowing anything about me. And I'm really upset that I tried to have a civil discussion with you and you chose to get mean.

And you were even ruder to Joe.
Last edited by Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 pm

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/868376

Sorry...I've got 703 read, but several of those are re-reads.
Last edited by Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Selena on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:56 am

It's been said there is one thing worse than failure for a writer... success. Success can often lead to a belief that everything written is worthy of a Nobel Prize. Horns was marketed as a 'horror' book. Horror was the hook which never delivered. Combining horror and romance is fine but Horns is really two books... horror followed by romance and rarely did the two meet.

You're correct... you're not the writer for me. Unfornately, Betty_Bo probably only buys one book.

Success can suck. The pressure, I imagine, to "do it again," can't be easy. And it must really suck when you're not writing a sequel (ala Rowling).

If I'd picked up Horns BEFORE HSB, I would have simply loved it without any thought or judgment. Reading it AFTER HSB, I almost felt as if I were reading in slow motion, because I was comparing it to the first.

I've tried to separate the two... as much as I can... and judge my reaction accordingly. Perhaps you were looking for more of a car chase, like HSB was? I get that, because I think I was, too.

Horns is definitely a horror story. And it's also a love story. I can think of lots of horror stories that join the two... in fact, most of my favorites do. I think this one succeeded in that.

Only time will tell... but the good news is that, I hope, this book will actually be just a blip on the Joe Hill radar eventually. We'll look back at Horns as his second novel in a long, long bookshelf (or ereader :)) full of them.

Speaking of which... when's the next one coming out!?

<-----greedy! :twisted:
*~*~Selena~*~*
Selena

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:44 am

Hi Selena! I am comforted by the fact that Joe has hinted that he is hard at work on another novel and the wait won't be quite so long as it was for HORNS. I'm even more excited BECAUSE HSB & HORNS were so different...you can't helpf but wonder what will Joe come up with next?!? :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby Merrin on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 am

To be honest i liked Horns more than HSB, i loved them both but Horns slightly more and usually im not a nig fan of love stories! Like you Betsy i really hope there is another novel on the way soon!
Merrin

Postby dyetye on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:52 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:

Wow...ok. You are being kind of rude DL. If you'd like I'll post a link to my GoodReads page where you will see I read all kinds of books. At least a book per month, usually more. I have almost 800 books listed. Yes, Joe is my fave which is why I joined this message board. But just because I love Joe's work doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood, Cormac McCarthy, Amy Tan, SK, John Irving...etc. I like all genres. I like fiction and non-fiction and I'm kind of insulted that you would make a statement like that about me without knowing anything about me. And I'm really upset that I tried to have a civil discussion with you and you chose to get mean.

And you were even ruder to Joe.

I agree. I think that was a bit uncalled for. I am sorry I defended you earlier for voicing your opinion from comments made by someone else.
dyetye

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 pm

We can rest easy now 'cause I doubt he'll be back.

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:We can rest easy now 'cause I doubt he'll be back.

If he does..then, i hope that he changes his attitude.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:06 pm

demorganakamark wrote:

I won't hold my breath on that one! He's mad because Joe didn't write the book the way he thought it should be. He talks like Joe owes him something. I'll never understand that attitude. I've bought a lot of books I didn't much care for, but I never once thought the author owed me anything but a story for the money I put out...good or bad. Just a story. This is why I tend to get so excited when I come across a really good one---because there are no guarantees. And I hope no writer ever compromises his/her vision for anyone else.

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:18 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:

I won't hold my breath on that one! He's mad because Joe didn't write the book the way he thought it should be. He talks like Joe owes him something. I'll never understand that attitude. I've bought a lot of books I didn't much care for, but I never once thought the author owed me anything but a story for the money I put out...good or bad. Just a story. This is why I tend to get so excited when I come across a really good one---because there are no guarantees. And I hope no writer ever compromises his/her vision for anyone else.

TO be honest...im not holding my breath. lol.
demorganakamark

Postby Damien_England on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:47 am

Jesus, there's some harsh stuff in here.

First up, I had issues & disappointments with the novel too but have tried to work through them in a separate post in a measured way, respectful of the fact this is actually, er ... Joe's messageboard.

Not being nuts about ONE novel doesn't automatically make me want to never read the guy's work again, or doubt his potential genius; and the last time that I checked, Stephen King wrote DreamCatcher and Steven Spielberg directed Hook, A.I., and 1941.*

Secondly, am I alone in thinking F*CKING DRACULA, the Godfather ... (damn, I wanted to say 'Of Soul') ... of the horror genre, had both romance AND horror?

Thirdly, if you found this novel boring, you have clearly never been forced to read the collected poetry anthologies of Sheamus Heaney discussing the consistency of Irish peat bogs for GCSE Level English, age 15, and daily contemplated suicide.

And that is all.

* Disclaimer: Horns is infinitely better than Hook, A.I., 1941, and Dreamcatcher.
Last edited by Damien_England on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien_England

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:01 am

LOL! You're very funny Damien! :D

Betsy_Boo

Postby demorganakamark on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:35 pm

watch yourself...I like A.I. even though i would have preferred it in the hands of Kubrick
demorganakamark

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:17 am

demorganakamark wrote:watch yourself...I like A.I. even though i would have preferred it in the hands of Kubrick

I liked it too, but it made me so sad that I haven't been able to watch it a second time.

Betsy_Boo

PreviousNext

Return to HORNS