After 100 Pages - Boring!

The devil is in the details.

Re: After 100 Pages - Boring!

Postby Jeremy_Lambert on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 am

Whatever you do Joe, dont delete me from your "adoring fans" database. I rather like it.
He might not want to be in it, but he doesnt really count.
And Ms. Betsy, I think the fact that you have posted a large amount of replies is great. Loyalty is far too rare these days.
Jeremy_Lambert

Postby demorganakamark on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 am

Betsy_Boo wrote:
demorganakamark wrote:watch yourself...I like A.I. even though i would have preferred it in the hands of Kubrick

I liked it too, but it made me so sad that I haven't been able to watch it a second time.

Yeah, at the end...I agree.
"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
demorganakamark

Location: Orange at times.....digital playground...well, thats easy, its here.

Postby Betsy_Boo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 am

Jeremy_Lambert wrote:Whatever you do Joe, dont delete me from your "adoring fans" database. I rather like it.
He might not want to be in it, but he doesnt really count.
And Ms. Betsy, I think the fact that you have posted a large amount of replies is great. Loyalty is far too rare these days.

Welcome Jeremy...thank you for your kind words. I do love hanging out here and I hope you will join in on more discussions. :D
"We'll always have Paris."

Betsy_Boo

Postby Romeo_Haight on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 am

it's always nice to see the rare internet-asshole-troll-bird giving his opinion on things in the most insulting way possible.

the guy who started this thread is nuts.
i'm 185 pages into Horns and i love it so far. unless it takes a real crazy dip, i couldn't imagine horns not joining all 20th century ghosts and heart shaped box and locke key as the fucking masterpieces they are.

if anything i should be pissed that i keep trying to go to sleep early and wind up awake at 3 am still reading.
we're from america. we're from america. we turn literature into litter.
we're from america. we're from america. we believe in being a quitter.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Betsy_Boo on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:54 pm

It is hard to put down...I tried to limit myself to 60 pages a night when I started but once I got halfway thru that resolution went out the window.

Betsy_Boo

Postby Romeo_Haight on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 pm

Betsy_Boo wrote:It is hard to put down...I tried to limit myself to 60 pages a night when I started but once I got halfway thru that resolution went out the window.

i have a bad habit of reading books i like quickly.
i tried to take my time on horns but i read it in two days.
under the dome took 3 days.
i'm at day like 41 for atlas shrugged. it's a good book but boring boring boring. i've read a dozen other books whilst reading atlas shrugged.
most chuck palahniuk books i can read in a few hours. i'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Betsy_Boo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 am

It's the "what happens next" syndrome. Palahniuk is so off-the-wall for me that I have to keep turning pages, even if I'm not really enjoying it. I'm reading BLOOD MERIDIAN now and it's a similar deal...part of me is getting really sad the further I get into it, but I gotta know "what happens next". Then you have someone like Joe where you gotta know AND you enjoy the ride at the same time!

Betsy_Boo

Re: After 100 Pages - Just keeps getting better

Postby desolationrow on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:58 am

Patrick wrote:I started the book expecting it to be horror (albeit with a "human" touch) throughout. What I realized afterward was that, far and away more than anything else, this was a love story. And I couldn't be more pleased and impressed with the way Joe pulled it off.

I havent started "Horns" yet , Im still trying to finish "Under The Dome" which someone said theyd managed in 3 days lol work keeps getting in the way.

Not sure why anyone would go on a Joe Hill site just to label his work "boring" and comparisons with his father are boring too. Yes its the reason I bought Heart Shaped Box but while he might have inherited some of Stephen and Tabatha's writing genes he is his own man.

Musician wise I also listen to Bob Dylan and Steve Earle's son but none of their work sounds like Highway 61 Revisited or Copperhead Road, they are good musicians in their own right just as Joe writes good books.
desolationrow

Postby Doose333 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Romeo_Haight wrote:
Betsy_Boo wrote:It is hard to put down...I tried to limit myself to 60 pages a night when I started but once I got halfway thru that resolution went out the window.

i'm at day like 41 for atlas shrugged. it's a good book but boring boring boring. i've read a dozen other books whilst reading atlas shrugged.
most chuck palahniuk books i can read in a few hours. i'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I love Chuck Palahniuks earlier books, after Diary I had a really hard time, I loved, Fight Club, and Choke, but Survivor is by far my favorite, followed closely by lullaby.
Doose333

Postby Romeo_Haight on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 pm

survivor is my fave. that or haunted. pygmy wasn't too bad if you're patient.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Doose333 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Romeo_Haight wrote:survivor is my fave. that or haunted. pygmy wasn't too bad if you're patient.

I had way too hard of a time reading Pygmy, the way it is written in the broken English, I had to reread things like seven times to figure out what was going on... I love Haunted though.
Doose333

Postby rosechimera on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:24 pm

The pattern of fan reviews here and elsewhere seems to be the same as every other popular fiction author I read. The same little pockets of thought: not as good as the first one, so and so did it better, it's the best book I ever read.
My review will be anecdotal form. My reading light keeps my husband up, so sometimes he'll make me read out loud because it knocks him out within 5 minutes. Well when I read Horns, my voice got hoarse, and when I trailed into a low voice in response to sleepy cadence breathing I kept getting a shove. So if you start the book after 9:30pm or if you have laundry to do, be grateful if you hate the book. There are worse fates such as walking around like zombies with a limited wardrobe.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
-Nietzsche
rosechimera

Postby rosechimera on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Romeo_Haight wrote:

I love Chuck Palahniuks earlier books, after Diary I had a really hard time, I loved, Fight Club, and Choke, but Survivor is by far my favorite, followed closely by lullaby.

Lullaby is my favorite--I never knew what a media addict I was until I read this. It's also super creepy because you wonder if you would be capable of using the lullaby and under what circumstances. And as far as Rand, I get a chuckle that her institution has charitable donations of her works to schools.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
-Nietzsche
rosechimera

Postby Romeo_Haight on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 pm

rosechimera wrote:And as far as Rand, I get a chuckle that her institution has charitable donations of her works to schools.

i wouldn't recommend any ayn rand books to schools.
entertaining, though they kind of are, they seem like a handbook for rich callous assholes to continue being rich callous assholes, as if a handbook were necessary.

Romeo_Haight

Postby Betsy_Boo on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:39 am

LOL!

Betsy_Boo

PreviousNext

Return to HORNS